PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #83 - Sci-fi Corridor

Iain
05-23-2010, 04:35 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #83 - Sci-fi Corridor
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This week's topic: Sci-fi Corridor

From the 70's cardboard of Silent Running to the opulence of Kubrick's 2001, there's loads of inspiration.
Also, check out Tobian's Pluto Station thread on Spinquad for a how to guide!
Thanks to Nangleator for the suggestion.

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 2200 GMT

oliversimonnet
05-23-2010, 05:02 AM
aa at last a new challenge
but bad thing is iv never seen cardboard of Silent Running or the opulence of Kubrick hehe

ill figure something out tho

ooh and thanks Iain for taking command hehe
who won last weeks challenge tho?

chco2
05-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Did this one for debonders speed challenge, shame to not show it here ;)
Took about 50m of modeling and 2 hours of texturing. Took 4 mins to render.

wire:

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/no_entry_wire.png

image:

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/no_entry.png

Iain
05-23-2010, 05:53 AM

OlaHaldor. Ola will set a new challenge after this one, hopefully :)

That's how it works so you (usually) have a week to think of a topic.

oliversimonnet
05-23-2010, 06:35 AM
aaa ok cool :)

AdamAvenali
05-23-2010, 06:17 PM
wow, i totally forgot about these haha

edit: side note, does anyone else's forum get all jacked up and bump people who are "online now" responses to the right?

oliversimonnet
05-24-2010, 02:26 AM
are we only alowed to do scene from cardboard of Silent Running and the opulence of Kubrick's?

Kuzey
05-24-2010, 03:08 AM
are we only alowed to do scene from cardboard of Silent Running and the opulence of Kubrick's?

No...they are just ideas to get the juices running. You can make up your own designs as well, or base it on any movie/tv show :D

Kuzey

oliversimonnet
05-24-2010, 03:18 AM
aaa ok thank you Kuzey,
i can join in now haha :)

oliversimonnet
05-24-2010, 04:43 AM
here is my Si-Fi Corridor:
took 57 minuets :)
85095 85096

Nangleator
05-24-2010, 05:12 AM
Great! Vents, bolts on the pipes, the dogleg of the door crack... Very sci fi.

oliversimonnet
05-24-2010, 05:15 AM
hehe thank's :)

Iain
05-25-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm hopeless at this stuff but here's my hour's work.
Fron the shuttle in 2001: A Space Odyssey..........

oliversimonnet
05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
aaa nice
is that a monkey in there?? hehe

sampei
05-26-2010, 12:05 PM
nice work, especially chco2 love these lasers !
here's mine, I wanted to do something like the ones seen Alien quadrilogy, some of my all time favorite movies and definetly the coolest sci-fi/space design ever (to me). But this is what came out, about 60 mins to model.

Wittywop
05-27-2010, 04:03 AM
I really enjoyed this week's challenge. So much so that i blew right through the 60 minute mark. I kinda just got into a grove and wanted to keep putting more things and detail in.

I like how everything came out. I think my surfaces were a lil too glossy. I had radosity on and that made my render time wicked long.

These speed modeling really give me a chance to play around and try new things. Thanks for coming up with them. Having a topic and a deadline are nice, and it is cool to get feedback from people that know how to use light wave, so thanks all.

COBRASoft
05-27-2010, 05:59 AM
I would like to make the long corridor part of the Event Horizon ship, but no time :(.

chco2
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Thnx Sampei!

Also started on creating a V-mothership corridor, but I'm guessing time would let me finish it :S

nice work, especially chco2 love these lasers !

chco2
05-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Nice Wittywop, bit dark though.. The Scenefile looks like there's plenty of detail.. Texture it differently, more light and such.. will make a lot of difference.

I really enjoyed this week's challenge. So much so that i blew right through the 60 minute mark. I kinda just got into a grove and wanted to keep putting more things and detail in.

I like how everything came out. I think my surfaces were a lil too glossy. I had radosity on and that made my render time wicked long.

These speed modeling really give me a chance to play around and try new things. Thanks for coming up with them. Having a topic and a deadline are nice, and it is cool to get feedback from people that know how to use light wave, so thanks all.

Tobian
05-27-2010, 04:35 PM
You'll have a long read to get a how-to guide out of my thread on Spinquad, as there's a lot of info interspersed over a LOT of pages :D

I spent more than an hour booleaning one bit of mesh into another today, so I can hardly be a good role model for speedy modelling :D Oddly I am working on corridors at the moment! :)

As a tip though for coridoors, make a small repeatable section, and then when you're ready to texture/render you can just instance it a bunch of times.. and voila one long coridoor. If you're feeling adventurous, do it on a radial curve, so you can't see the ends.

Lighting is really tricky for interiors in general. One simple tip I can give is to do what I do and use large areas of luminous polys set to really bright. current versions of LW render radiosity quite quick (quick is relevant, but you know, not everything goes as fast as OGL you know, get over it :p This is a speed modeling challenge, not rendering!) make sure they are REALLY bright, and if you can fathom it out, use Linear colour space, as this will make your lighting go MUCH further, and look more natural.

Excellent entries so far, the main thing letting some of them down is lighting (which is not a part of the challenge to be fair hehe, but it always helps!) Love the 2001 entry Iain, I recently bought it on Blu-ray and it's still so starkly beautiful and inspirational!

TheDeacon
05-27-2010, 05:38 PM
this challenge reminds me of a project that William had a class at Dave school do- he shows one of the results here in this tutorial- CLIP MAPS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdaeQAIHYM)

I was in this class, and we were tasked with recreating the interiors to the Serenity ship from Joss Whedon's TV show, Firefly.

we were split up into different teams, each with a different portion of the ship.

attached to this post is an image from my team- we did the cargo bay...

the person who modeled the mule actually went of to work on BSG, and is now on Caprica!

Wittywop
05-27-2010, 06:14 PM
On my first render I tried to go with the luminous poly approach, but I guess I didn't have enough polys to make it bright enough. I added some liner lights to help punch up the brightness. I also redid all of the surface, mainly because i forgot to save the object when saving the scene. Still seems a lil too glossy for me, but it is only at like 3%. It also seems a lil noisy too, even though I had the noise reduction on. Looks like i need to spend more time in layout learning how to make things look better.

Thanks chco2, a lil light goes a long way :)

oliversimonnet
05-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Wittywop:
much better :)
nice work

Tobian
05-27-2010, 06:31 PM
You're confusing a few terminologies there.. Specularity is the ammount of (fake) specular highlights, and glossiness controls how spread out the highlight is: lowering the value makes the specular broader, and making it higher makes the specular tighter.

What radiosity settings do you have and what luminosity values? It does look better, but it's still VERY dark!

Try radiosity settings something like this and make sure your top luminous surfaces are very bright, like say 300-800% - scene dependant. It's slower, but you get much nicer results, tweak to suit :)

My personal tip is use the radiosity preview as a quick and dirty guide... within minutes you should see if it's working or not! You can cancel and tweak before it's done, if needs be.

JeffrySG
05-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Very cool entries.... this reminds me of a spin quad challenge where I did a sci fi corridor.

It was quite a while ago... almost forgot about this one. Way way over 1hr. :lol:
This is not an entry here... just thought it would be fun to post the images.
If I do recall Iain won this challenge!!! ;)

Myagi
05-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Really great subject, unfortunately I have so little time currently. 60 minutes is also a bit mission impossible for me for what I'd like to do. This was all I managed within the time, copy-paste galore and it's still missing plenty of details I would've liked.

As a little challenge within the challenge: Name the movie, inspite of incomplete modeling and rush job surfacing and lighting. :)

TheDeacon
05-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Very cool entries.... this reminds me of a spin quad challenge where I did a sci fi corridor.

It was quite a while ago... almost forgot about this one. Way way over 1hr. :lol:

wow.. i dig the busted hull:thumbsup:

chco2
05-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Looking better already!
Radiosity will use luminous polys to light the area. Perhaps give that a try? (turn off all other lights though to not make it too bright..)

On my first render I tried to go with the luminous poly approach, but I guess I didn't have enough polys to make it bright enough. I added some liner lights to help punch up the brightness. I also redid all of the surface, mainly because i forgot to save the object when saving the scene. Still seems a lil too glossy for me, but it is only at like 3%. It also seems a lil noisy too, even though I had the noise reduction on. Looks like i need to spend more time in layout learning how to make things look better.

Thanks chco2, a lil light goes a long way :)

chco2
05-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Sweettt :)

R.Feeney
05-29-2010, 03:36 AM
Some great work so far guys:thumbsup:
My own halfarsed corridor, Dalek from the previous Scifi Icons challenge.

COBRASoft
05-29-2010, 04:57 AM
Looks great Richard!

Myagi
05-29-2010, 06:32 AM
man, I think we need some golf-like handicap system. 10 minutes extra per point, I would start out with like 20 points :D

speaking of which, did I mutilate the poor corridor so much that no one recognizes the movie :cry:

Tobian
05-29-2010, 07:17 AM
Hmm I can't recognise that corridor sorry, it looks vaguely Starwars-ish, but I can't quite place it (and what doesn't look SW-ish!)

and yeah I'd need a huge handicap to get anything done in an hour! :D

Myagi
05-29-2010, 07:32 AM
not star wars :) to be fair it's only in a tiny fraction of the movie. I think I need to give a hint (hopefully it doesn't confuse more :devil:): There's a crew quarter with a cat to the right of the camera.

Kuzey
05-29-2010, 07:34 AM
I lasted a total of 42 minutes...not really my thing, but it's curved :hey:

Kuzey

lertola2
05-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Here is a quick take on the corridor in Greg Bear's Eon. It is a great sf book. Modeling was less than 15 minutes as it is just sub patched cylinders and a simple ship. Texturing took about an hour.

-Joe

Kuzey
05-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Joe...that's freaky :thumbsup:

Kuzey

sampei
05-29-2010, 12:24 PM
oh very cool render Richard, are there any lights in the scene or is it just the luminous polys?
jeffry's off contest also looks amazing !
solid work from the others do, as usual ;)

EmperorPete
05-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Here's my attempt, after watching Alien the other night:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/emperorpete/CG/SpeedChallenge/Final/Corridor.jpg
And the view from Layout:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/emperorpete/CG/SpeedChallenge/Final/Layout.jpg
Modelling time - 55 minutes (Vertibevel used during modeling)
Texturing/lighting time - around 4 hours (Anything Goos used for some of the texturing wear and tear)
Rendering time - 8 hours 40 minutes 55 seconds (rendered with volumetrics and radiosity, 8 Classic AA passes)

Myagi
05-31-2010, 09:41 PM
:thumbsup: good stuff, and not even using up the whole time *envy*

JeffrySG
06-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Some great work so far guys:thumbsup:
My own halfarsed corridor, Dalek from the previous Scifi Icons challenge.

very cool! kind of reminds me of the corridor from empire strikes before Luke gets his hand cut off.... :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
06-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Here's my attempt, after watching Alien the other night:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/emperorpete/CG/SpeedChallenge/Final/Corridor.jpg
And the view from Layout:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/emperorpete/CG/SpeedChallenge/Final/Layout.jpg
Modelling time - 55 minutes (Vertibevel used during modeling)
Texturing/lighting time - around 4 hours (Anything Goos used for some of the texturing wear and tear)
Rendering time - 8 hours 40 minutes 55 seconds (rendered with volumetrics and radiosity, 8 Classic AA passes)
Yummy!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Myagi
06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
since tomorrow is the last day, before the thread fades into obscurity, one final "hint" (and reference) for my borked up corridor attempt. A shot from the movie.

Nangleator
06-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Great work, EmperorPete!

That looks like Buckaroo Banzai, Myagi, except I can't remember a corridor like that. You did a good job with your model, anyway.

Inspiration! Aliens? Outside Ripley's apartment?

Myagi
06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Aliens? Outside Ripley's apartment?

ding, ding, ding! we have a winner ;)

Yes it's the short clip where Burke walks up to Ripley's quarters/apartement.

Allthough that station is only a small part, for some reason I really dig those sets. I love all the other sets of Alien and Aliens awell, but coolness vs. screen-time ratio is particularily high on that portion. Maybe it's that everything is so cramped and non-luxurious, which gives it a this-could-actually-be-real feeling, since space in space (pardon the pun) is expensive.

OlaHaldor
06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
What will happen if last weeks winner is on holiday or something? Who will set the new challenge?

ye i was wondering that as well what if he/she is on holiday.
yes yes true art :) lol

OlaHaldor. Ola will set a new challenge after this one, hopefully :)

Hey guys, I was actually away. Thanks for "voting". Don't think I've ever won anything using LightWave before. :bowdown:

I've been busy with work, travel, and now I'm starting to pack all my stuff and move to a new apartment. Who knows when I'll be online again, except when I'm at work..

Cheers!

Iain
06-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Oh well-looks like it'll be me again!

oliversimonnet
06-01-2010, 03:03 PM
has anyone won this weeks challenge yet?

Tobian
06-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Ahh explains it, I've heard of it, but never seen that film! I guess I should try and see it some time :D

Myagi
06-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Never seen Aliens?? Game over man, game over! *head explodes* ;)

Tobian
06-01-2010, 05:25 PM
D'oh, I should read more carefully, I thought you meant Buckaro Banzai! and it's been some time since I have seen Aliens :D

Myagi
06-01-2010, 05:31 PM
hehe, aha, my faith in humanity has been restored :D

Iain
06-02-2010, 01:05 AM
has anyone won this weeks challenge yet?

Possibly, but it'll be announced after the deadline.:D

oliversimonnet
06-02-2010, 11:08 AM
aaa ok
i thought the deadline was yesterday haha
sorry, i didnt check :s

Iain
06-02-2010, 03:06 PM
OK well done on all the entries guys.
Richard, I love your modesty as always-great dalek tunnel!

The winner however has to be EmperorPete with his amazingly detailed Alien inspired corridor. Impressive stuff for under an hour!!

Congratulations!

And on to the next:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1026205#post1026205

Cheers :thumbsup:

EmperorPete
06-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Oh wow. Awesome! I didn't think I'd win; all the entries looked better than mine IMO.
It's not really that complex a model; mostly booleans, cloning, judicious use of Vertibevel, and a lot of texturing/lighting dry runs.
Thank you!

Oedo 808
06-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Wanted to get back into these, one moment I had a couple of hours to go the next... But I thought I'd do something anyway. Proved to be trickier to do that than I thought (isn't that always the way). Would have hunted out a few textures if I'd been in time, but as I wasn't I couldn't be bothered :p

Adjusted the levels and added the cheesy rays in GIMP.

85362 85363

Congrats, EmperorPete. :thumbsup:

The wires show what a good entry it was, not that render was a bad one, but like most, a bit gloomy because of the subject matter. Iain could render a bevelled box and compete for every modelling challenge even when rendering doesn't count, and Mr Feeney now models with his eyes shut because the mortals have become a bore ;)

oliversimonnet
06-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Oh wow. Awesome! I didn't think I'd win; all the entries looked better than mine IMO.
It's not really that complex a model; mostly booleans, cloning, judicious use of Vertibevel, and a lot of texturing/lighting dry runs.
Thank you!

congratulations man hehe :)

Shnoze Shmon
06-07-2010, 12:33 AM
I really love this topic and fully intended to enter, but it didn't take long to disqualify myself. The biggest problem is too many ideas.

When I learned one point horizons in school (a long long time ago...) I enjoyed drawing sci-fi corridors either actively as art or in doodles on pads of paper intended for notes which never seemed to get taken. So I took to this subject like Scrat to his wayward acorn.

Also I cant help but salivate over Tobian's Pluto Station and dream, drool, anguish, pine, of doing my own work like that. (Although, I'm more oriented towards a ship than a station.) So this is a chance to kick my feet in the water and look forward to the swim.

I've created enough of my corridor to lock in the general idea. Lots of room for details and the many possible changes though.

I did some rough texturing for a render of what I have so far along with the wire frame.

The rail on the left will eventually be both direct and sconce lighting, along with other lighting to be added.

Oops, left the bulkhead out of the wire frame and texture shots so I uploaded earlier version screens.

JeffrySG
06-07-2010, 03:21 AM
The winner however has to be EmperorPete with his amazingly detailed Alien inspired corridor. Impressive stuff for under an hour!!
Congratulations!
Cheers :thumbsup:

congrats! Great job! :)

Tobian
06-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Congrats Emperor Pete, that's a really cool effect you have going, and an impressive model for an hour's work.

And Shnoze Shmon, keep going on the project.. Don't forget, the whole point of these is to get people modelling, and if you start a good idea, keep going with it, outside of the competition, for your own satisfaction, and portfolio! :)

chco2
06-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Nice! looking forward to the end result ;)

I really love this topic and fully intended to enter, but it didn't take long to disqualify myself. The biggest problem is too many ideas.

When I learned one point horizons in school (a long long time ago...) I enjoyed drawing sci-fi corridors either actively as art or in doodles on pads of paper intended for notes which never seemed to get taken. So I took to this subject like Scrat to his wayward acorn.

Also I cant help but salivate over Tobian's Pluto Station and dream, drool, anguish, pine, of doing my own work like that. (Although, I'm more oriented towards a ship than a station.) So this is a chance to kick my feet in the water and look forward to the swim.

I've created enough of my corridor to lock in the general idea. Lots of room for details and the many possible changes though.

I did some rough texturing for a render of what I have so far along with the wire frame.

The rail on the left will eventually be both direct and sconce lighting, along with other lighting to be added.

Oops, left the bulkhead out of the wire frame and texture shots so I uploaded earlier version screens.

Shnoze Shmon
06-09-2010, 12:37 PM
And Shnoze Shmon, keep going on the project.. Don't forget, the whole point of these is to get people modelling, and if you start a good idea, keep going with it, outside of the competition, for your own satisfaction, and portfolio! :)

Nice! looking forward to the end result ;)

Thanks guys!

This will indeed be a good addition to my portfolio as it is my first interior in LW.

Barely gotten a chance to touch it the last couple of days but here is another render. And I'll place future updates in the WIP forum.