PDA

View Full Version : 64 Bit Lightwave for Mac

yaschan
05-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Has it been released? If so, where can I get it?

littlewaves
05-23-2010, 02:07 AM
not released yet but in open beta and available to all registered lightwave 9 users

Go to registration (under Customer Care)

YaGfXg33k
06-03-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't see it in the list of downloads there - just the 32 bit 9.6 mac version...

littlewaves
06-04-2010, 12:14 PM
go to "my home" and underneath the cheesy 3D woman with the headset on see if you have "lightwave 9.6 open beta" listed.

I think you have to register for the open beta here for it to show up in your downloads.

Failing that contact support.

gpdesigner
06-08-2010, 06:25 PM
any real news on the release yet . . . ?
seems there isn't any progress since last year, are they wrapping up open beta?

CaptainMarlowe
06-08-2010, 10:00 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the open beta is still ongoing, and I use the 9.6.1 beta daily right now. It has entirely replaced 9.6 for me.
So I guess final release won't be too long now.

rsfd
06-09-2010, 09:46 AM
There are still issues especially with the Mac version and with upcoming Siggraph I wouldn't expect a release in the very near future.

CaptainMarlowe
06-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Hadn't thought of Siggraph. You must be right.

yaschan
06-25-2010, 09:32 PM
The retailer who I bought the Lightwave 9 here in Japan says that the Open Beta is not available in Japan.

So I guess I won't be joining the party... I'm so sad.

I tried to register in Newtek's site under customer care, but I get the message:
"Msg grp 3 lang 1 msg 2 for pg ASP.CustomerProfile_aspx missing"

Kuzey
06-26-2010, 06:38 AM
That sounds a bit off....I think, anyone that has purchased LW9 can join the beta...no matter of location.

Did you try the site bellow, you might want to try it on a few browsers...to make sure they are not the problem...if the problem persists, then email Newtek.

http://register.newtek.com/

Best of Luck,

Kuzey

yaschan
06-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I tried this with Safari, Google Chrome, etc...

What a nuisance this process is. Well, time to contact NewTek support then..

jrandom
06-30-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm signed up for CORE -- should I be using Lightwave 9.6.1 or Lightwave HC if I want 64-bit?

(The reason I haven't made a full switch yet is that I often find myself using the IFW2 plugins, and for Mac they're still 32-bit only.)

mattc
06-30-2010, 07:23 PM
i'm signed up for core -- should i be using lightwave 9.6.1 or lightwave hc if i want 64-bit?

hc.

yaschan
07-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Well, I didn't get exactly the answer from the Newtek. They just told me "activate it in the links on bottom of the page". I pointed out that I'm not even able to register in the Newtek site because of the error message I get: "Msg grp 3 lang 1 msg 2 for pg ASP.CustomerProfile_aspx missing"
But I get no reply..
So I guess no beta for me..

rsfd
07-06-2010, 04:14 AM
these are the register pages:

http://register.newtek.com/Splash.aspx
(for Japan): http://register.newtek.com/Register.aspx?C=111

hope, this is of any help for you and you're not running into the same error - good luck!

yaschan
07-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Yes. The link http://register.newtek.com/Register.aspx?C=111 is exactly what I tried.
I tried with different browsers.

The only possible explanation is that the Japan register page is simply broken.

rsfd
07-10-2010, 05:17 AM
Hmm, I can reach this page - problem is: I can't read a word :D

Had you also tried to use the first link and then continue to the Japanese page?

Only tip I would have is to try from another Internet connection (other provider), as this may be probably a DNS issue.

yaschan
07-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Yes I have tried the both ways. Hmm. If it's DNS issue.. Or I guess NewTek has enough beta testers.

rsfd
07-10-2010, 10:50 AM
... Or I guess NewTek has enough beta testers.

No - they NEVER have enough Beta Testers! :)
Especially for LW-Mac!

btw, you could also dump any browser caches, histories and cookies (well you will have to log in again with your passwords) and see, if that helps.

Or - from the "...splash.aspx" page choose e.g. U.S. as location and see if you can log in then.

BlueApple
07-10-2010, 01:55 PM
I've been Googling this and can't figure it out, so perhaps you learned folks can assist.

I just added a 1TB drive to my Mac. I would like to partition it in two, so there is an NTFS and Fat32 side. NTFS gets my OS (Win 7 64) and the Fat32 will be a shared read&write side for both OS's. I'm not sure of the order of operations here...

Do I use Disk Utility to partition the drive into two sides first?
If so, should I choose Fat and NTFS from Disk Utility, or do Fat and OS Journaled from Disk Utility and let Bootcamp convert the OS Journaled side to NTFS?
Do I make the whole 1TB drive OS Journaled to start, run Bootcamp to make the whole thing NTFS, and then under Win 7 partition a chunk to be Fat32?

I've tried partitioning the thing in two using Disk Utility and Bootcamp seems to want to wipe the whole thing, so I am unsure of how to proceed.

Useful links and sage advice are supremely appreciated.

rsfd
07-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Hi,
it's a bit off-topic but anyway:
the problem with BootCamp is that it isn't configured for a Windows installation onto an "external" HD.
For such an install, BootCamp isn't that useful, so there is another way to go.
You don't need to partition your HD with Disk Utility, you don't even need to use BootCamp Assistant as most HDs are PC formatted anyway and the partitioning can be done while installing Windows, but that's a way to install Win:

run software update and bring Mac OS to the latest level
for a dual quad-core MacPro, you'll need at least Windows7 Professional to use both cpu

you can run BootCamp Assistant to format your new drive, then quit BootCamp Assistant - or choose "install Windows later" (don't remember how it's called), then:

insert your Win7-DVD and shut down your Mac

take out your Mac-HD(s) and only leave your future Windows-HD inside your Mac

start your Mac - it will use the Win-DVD as Boot Volume, as it is the only available OS

run the Windows installer to partition your HD and to install Windows

when the installation has finished, restart your Mac from Windows HD and use your SnowLeopard DVD to install Apple's BootCamp Drivers (for Mac Hardware Support under Win)

run BootCamp update under Windows

run Windows update and install all necessary Win updates

if everything is in place, open BootCamp system prefs and set your Mac to OSX as default boot system

shut down your Mac and re-install your Mac-HD(s)

if you start your Mac it should start with OSX, if that fails and you end up in Windows, just re-open BootCamp Prefs under Windows and set your Mac to OSX as Default System.

I hope, that will do - it did for me ;)

Annotation:
You will encounter wrong bindings on your keyboard prior you have installed the Apple BootCamp Drivers - but that's not a big deal.
If your internet connection is running while you install Windows, you will most likely be able to use it for Software Updates without having to set it up under Windows.

BlueApple
07-11-2010, 07:06 AM
rsfd,

Thanks for the tips. I am trying to put Win 7 64bit on a 2006 Mac and ran into the issues listed here: http://timothybrown.tumblr.com/post/110271493/installing-windows-7-x64-on-a-mac-pro-late-2006. I am not sure if I have the patience for the workaround they listed, so I may revert to 32bit.

I appreciate everyone's help on this.

-Adam

rsfd
07-11-2010, 07:11 AM
ah, I see - yes, the `06 series is another deal

gpdesigner
08-04-2010, 08:20 AM
It's a shame that we Mac users have to resort to going out and purchasing a Windows OS to run on our Macs so that we can get 64 Bit Lightwave, it's not fair at all . . . . . .

Yes 9.6 is in Open Beta, . . . . it's been in Open Beta for a while now . . .
So far there hasn't been any updates on the progress or any kind of release date projection . . . what is going on here?
gp

rsfd
08-04-2010, 09:00 AM
bugfixes...
especially for LW-Mac, and you still will have to wait a while as development has slowed down lately because of siggraph
(or you join the OpenBeta ;) )

gpdesigner
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
bugfixes...
especially for LW-Mac, and you still will have to wait a while as development has slowed down lately because of siggraph
(or you join the OpenBeta ;) )

I downloaded the open beta, but the time expired on me . . .

gpdesigner
08-04-2010, 02:53 PM
were is the forum for the open beta, is there a link?
gp

dwburman
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
If you are in the open beta you should see the beta section near the bottom of the forum list. (http://www.newtek.com/forums)

NT publishes new license keys for the beta when the old ones run out. If you got a beta key and then you should have a new one on your registration page.

Note that some dongles report a different hardware key for 64-bit mode. I just use my Windows key and it work fine.

shadersrjj
08-11-2010, 09:56 AM
(The reason I haven't made a full switch yet is that I often find myself using the IFW2 plugins, and for Mac they're still 32-bit only.)

There are 64bit UB builds available for IFW2 textures. However, there was a presets save/load bug which is why I haven't made a full annoucement yet. I'm not sure if it has been fixed yet but the build is available on the IFW2 secure server.

RJJ

soletread
08-14-2010, 08:47 AM
I can't believe it's been a year and still no gold on mac 64 bit. I purchased LW during the great 9.x hype. Actually it was still 8.x What a ride, but all the promises made during that step have not come about. Granted, some really great improvements of which gratitude does make its presence, but it looks like CORE is consuming all manpower, a paid upgrade, quite a big chunk extra mind you. And we're still using 32 bit on a mac. I am sure we will eventually get it, maybe next month, maybe a year from now. There's just no telling. And NT is most certainly not telling.

Kuzey
08-14-2010, 01:11 PM
I can't believe it's been a year and still no gold on mac 64 bit. I purchased LW during the great 9.x hype. Actually it was still 8.x What a ride, but all the promises made during that step have not come about. Granted, some really great improvements of which gratitude does make its presence, but it looks like CORE is consuming all manpower, a paid upgrade, quite a big chunk extra mind you. And we're still using 32 bit on a mac. I am sure we will eventually get it, maybe next month, maybe a year from now. There's just no telling. And NT is most certainly not telling.

I think and hope, they'll release it at the same time as LW10....around the end of this year.

I would rather wait and get a super solid upgrade, than get it tomorrow and still have it buggy. The good thing is, you can use the beta now and help find and eliminate bugs :D

Kuzey

rsfd
08-15-2010, 08:02 AM
@soletread:
I agree that it takes a long time for 9.6.1-64x.
It's in quite a good shape atm, still some issues to fix.
As this will be the last release of the v.9 cicle, I agree even more with Kuzey:
it has to be a solid one.
NT has put plenty of time into the cocoa conversion - they could have gone the easy way by just saying "LW-Mac64x comes in Core/LW 10", but they didn't. (As others did).
And we get it for free.
(Of course, LW9-Win is 64x, but this didn't need such a time consuming conversion as the OSX version).
I think Kuzey is quite right with his estimation about the release date too.

aidenvfx
08-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Did some tests withReal flow 5 and lw 9.6.1 and was able to render a scene that ran out of ram in 32 bit version

jat
09-01-2010, 02:13 PM
I just received the new dongle to run LW 64 bit beta(the safenet model) and asked CS to send me a new license key. The rep said the license key should be the same even for the new dongle but it won't work. I'm just double checking, do you need a new license key for the beta download? I say yes the rep says no...........thanks for your help

rsfd
09-02-2010, 05:55 AM
The OpenBeta uses a different unlock key (the 4x4 digits number) to LightWave v.9.6, valid for 80 days, usually automatically renewed in your NT account.

I would think that your new dongle returns a different Hardware Lock-ID (or Dongle-ID; the 4-digits number), so I would guess you even need a different license for LW 9.6.

If this applies:
try to re-register 9.6 and OB in your NewTek account with your actual new Dongle-ID and you will get the your actual unlock keys.
If this does not work, you need to contact Customer Support again and make clear, that you have swapped your Dongle and therefore you have a different Dongle-ID.

yaschan
09-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Now I was finally able to get in, but now when I try to register my lightwave by entering Serial No and Ship No I get the dreadful:

"Msg grp 3 lang 1 msg 6 for pg ASP.RegisterLW_aspx missing"

I have double checked that my serial no and ship no are correct. I guarantee that.

Again I have tried this with various browsers. And I get no reply from the support even though I send messages. There is nothing I can do it seems or is there??
I guess I'm not wanted..

yaschan
09-02-2010, 09:03 PM
What's interesting is that if I click the "my downloads" I get to the Japanese retailer's page from who I bought the LW9 from.
Before this retailer said that 9.6.1 Open Beta program is not available in Japan, period.

I really think there is no possible way in this universe for me to participate the open beta program of 64 bit lightwave. I feel it's so unfair. Why can't I join? Because I live in Japan?? What about all other Lightwave users who live in Japan?? Are their voices and reports not welcome?

I would very much want to be part of the Core community and be happy early adopter of their incoming product but to tell truth I'm getting annoyed. Why my mails are being ignored?

Shouldn't it be "Open" beta? This is not open for me it seems.

Bona
09-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Try contacting customer support in U.S., this sounds unfair, I chose lightwave because of those fabulous jobs shown in Japanese cg magazines. All users should be eligible to get involve in beta testing.

yaschan
09-03-2010, 03:04 AM
Indeed. Japanese CG magazines show truly incredible works.
I contacted my retail company here in Japan. They asked me some information, such as LW serial, etc. and contacted Newtek for me. They have been mostly helpful.
I hope I will get answer from NT soon.