PDA

View Full Version : Surprising results from HD Camera test - would like feedback on lighting

KCPro
05-22-2010, 05:00 PM
I had the opportunity to test a Panasonic HMC150 at a live event.
I'm posting the results so the Tricaster community can view and hopefully provide feedback.

I didn't get the chance to bring in my Tricaster for this test because it was very short notice. (btw: the event shot is an MLM event at a local hotel so before you ask.....NO I am not a member of this MLM or any MLM, the guy putting on the event is a friend of mine and let's me use his events to run assorted A/V tests)

Here is my overall thoughts on the test:

1. I am BLOWN AWAY by the quality of the image the HMC150 provided.
(fyi: coding to the site for view is mpeg4 using Sony Vegas)

2. I am BLOWN AWAY by the low light capability of this camera.

I have posted on my Blog/Test page for your viewing 2 videos, each video is about 1 minute long:

1. Test Video 1 is using the ambient light in the room. I left the gain at "0".

2. Test Video 2 is using the lighting provided by the hotel, consisting of 1) Source 4 left of center in the back of the room.

So after you view the videos, I would like your feedback on the following:

1. The events I do are usually in a hotel room very simular to this one.
Based on what you are seeing, do you think it is really neccessary to bring in extra lighting (or should I just turn up the gain a bit?)

2. If you did bring in lighting, what would you suggest for this room setup, and where would you put it.

3. In the first video, it start zoomed in ALL THE WAY on the key speaker.
Distance from camera to podium was 43'. (you will note that the zoom all the way back was incredibly wide).
I would like to have to ability to do a tighter shot, or be ready incase I have to go farther back than 43'. I know I can add a tele adapter, and I have seen they come in mega cheap (under $50) to the expensive Century model for around $750. What would you recommend to solve this problem?

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Here is the link to the videos:

www.thebestpodcastshow.com

Thanks,
Dave Galegor
Kicking Cow Productions
Denver, CO
[email protected]

skdvr
05-23-2010, 06:24 AM
How were you coming out of your HMC 150? We have 3 of these cameras and really like them. They really perform very well. We do not have a Tele adapter yet though so I can't help you there. Something I am sure we will purchase in the future.

We have the Tricaster Broadcast so we can only do SD but we did just use these cameras at a college graduation and came Component out of the camera and changed it to SDI to run to the TCB. Picture was awesome.

Phil

KCPro
05-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Because of short notice, all I had time for was to grab the camera and a tripod, so it was all shot to SD card.
BTW: When I got back from the shoot, man it was great just to drop the SD card into the SD reader in the computer, took all of about 4min to transfer 1.5 hours of video.
When I put it in Vegas it edited just like any other footage. (using an i7-920 with Vegas Pro & Windows 7 Pro 64bit)
I'm hoping to do some test with it later today with the Tricaster, so I'm not 100% sure what way I will go in hooking it up yet. I'm still learning the camera since I've only had it for about 2 weeks.

Orignally I was planning on going with Canon XH-A1's because I use Canon GL2's with my SD setup. I owned a DVX100b before, loved it, but it didn't do well in low light and and had the short zoom.

In doing my research, I ran across this info on the web about the HMC150,
this what convenced me to give the 150 a try:

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=52607

Phil, based on your experience with the camera, what did you go with for lighting, or did you pitch the idea of carrying a lighting kit all together?

skdvr
05-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Most of what we shoot is events like weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs so for all of those we just use on camera lights, but when we have done live switching 90% of the time lighting is taken care of by a lighting company, or it has been somewhere that the light in the venue was plenty bright and full up so we did not have to worry about it (like high school gymnasium for graduations). 2 weeks ago we did a shoot at a hotel and the lighting was supposed to be taken care of but there not no light on the speaker so we pulled out a tungsten spot that worked perfectly. I think it was 750w but I really am not sure. I did not set it up, I was running the TC. They had a black backdrop behind the speaker so there was really no shadow and the light is pretty soft.

I really do not have much experience with lighting stuff like that because like I said most of what we do is already handled...

Phil

ted
05-23-2010, 09:20 AM
We have a couple HVX 200's. Great cameras but not the best for low light situations. I'm glad you are liking the 150's.

And 4 min. to transfer 1 1/2 hours of footage? Fantastic. We love shooting to cards, but the P2 are much more expensive and take longer to transfer. Another good improvement with the 150.

For adapters, we've always purchased the Century wide and telephoto adapters. But again, it depends on your needs.

Thanks for the samples.