PDA

View Full Version : Grid snap command

mkiii
09-12-2003, 05:49 PM
Just a short one, but something that's been bugging me for quite a while now.

We need a keystroke to toggle the grid snap on/off in modeler.

Or is it just me that finds it a pain having to open up a dialog box then having to click on a menu every time i want to toggle it?

Please someone just tell me that there has been one all along & I missed it.

Oracle77
09-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Well there is the 'G' button, which is Snap. This doesnt snap to grid, per say, but it does give absolute values, and if it looks like its on a grid line, its there to infinity.
Hope this is what you were looking for!

Karmacop
09-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Good idea for a feature.

I'd also like the grid to be improved. I think the options should be:
unit size (how far between each line)
major line step (how many units between each major line)
offset (offset the grid so it doesn't start at 0,0)

I'm not sure how to handle inches ->feet -> yards -> miles etc as they change how many units are in each largwr unit .. but .. yeah ...

EyesClosed
09-12-2003, 08:56 PM
Yes, snapping options, like in other programs, would be great.

mkiii
09-13-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Oracle77
Well there is the 'G' button, which is Snap. This doesnt snap to grid, per say, but it does give absolute values, and if it looks like its on a grid line, its there to infinity.
Hope this is what you were looking for!

The 'G' key Snap Drag does not always snap accurately to a point, which can be a pain, so I tend to use it only when I'm UV mapping. It certainly doesn't snap to the display grid, and it doesnt work when you use other commands.

What I am looking for is a simple command to toggle the existing grid on or off, rather than having to press 'd' go to the Grid Snap menu, and select none, fine, fixed or whatever.

Ade
09-14-2003, 09:50 PM
A snap to point would be "modern'...
I agree, C4d and 3ds have it. So simple too.

Nemoid
09-16-2003, 02:54 AM
yap, snaps are great.

I think that some tool haev to be developed here..
for example some interactive tool, wich for precise working uses snaps to get predictable results and not using numeric panel. think to the mirror tool, with a axe snap in center x or y or z tool.. but also other distances if you want.no need to use numeric here.

other clever snaps can be smth like snap to a target, e.g. like the center of a poly , to make interesting things like attaching buttons etc. in no time.

snaps like in cad systems would be very good indeed.