PDA

View Full Version : Mainconcept DV>re-encoded DV...how many passes before quality goes to hell?

djlithium
09-12-2003, 05:22 PM
Hi there.

I have been doing some tests with different codecs recording from a DDR to the capture panel selecting main in (the DDR as a source).

When I went through these tests, I noticed that the Mainconcept DV codec held up really well generation after generation.

Has anyone done any tests like this and noticed and real serious shift in quality say after 10 passes??

Also when recording in this manner, does the toaster engine really decode the video completely or is it doing a copy like you would see from firewire dubbing devices?

ScorpioProd
09-12-2003, 11:34 PM
I haven't done these type of tests, but it is a very good codec.

Why would you want to go through that many compression/decompression cycles in real use?

If you're playing back a DV clip in a DDR and recording in in capture as a DV clip, you are going through a full decompression/recompression cycle.

bradl
09-13-2003, 12:39 AM
Guys, I jumped in and bought the PicVideo codec last week. It looks great. Just not working with my VT3 at the moment. I am still running RC09 as I didn't see much point in installing the GM as it was the same and have been waiting for the new patch. My question is, does the new DLL Paul made available fix this?

Thanks,

PS- DJ, I checked out your site a while back and enjoyed it. Learned a lot about trance music. Really wasn't aware how big the phenomenon was... and that you were like... a celebrity! Very cool!

Mike Watkins
09-15-2003, 09:48 AM
The dll available through Paul or myself ([email protected]) does fix issues w/ the PicVideo codec. It will also be part of the soon to be released patch.