PDA

View Full Version : Disperse a morph?

objuan
05-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi

Is there a way to break up when a morph happens at different parts of a model? Maybe with a texture map?

I'm turning some I-beams into DNA. I have a bunch of bolts, all of which have 1 morph group to move from flush with the I-beam, to sticking out to form the rungs of the DNA ladder. Cool.

I want to play with having then animate on in sequence, or perhaps randomly.

How can I tell rung #1 to morph at frame 10, and rung #4 to use the same morph at frame 30?

I can see using a gradient on the height to determine when the morph starts, but I dont know how to go about implementing such an idea.

Any tips would be appreciated...

attached is an image, I want the bolt rungs to zipper up rather than all push in to the center at once.

SplineGod
05-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Do it using textures as you said using either nodes or the normal displacement plugin. :)

objuan
05-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you. I can use nodes or displacement to control my morph?

I'd appreciate it if you treated me like a moron and spelled it out a bit more step by step...

SplineGod
05-20-2010, 08:23 PM
The normal displacement plugin allows you to displace along normals or an endomorph using textures. You can use a gradient based on distance to do what you were suggesting. :)

objuan
05-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks Larry,

"Normal Displacement" strikes me as kind of an odd place to hide MorphMap controls, but now that I know it's there, who cares.

That will certainly do the trick though, and seems potentially useful for many things. Thanks again.

Seems odd though, when I first double click on the Normal Displacement plugin to open it up, it freezes up my LW 9.0 for a good long while. I thought it was crashing it, but I walked away in frustration and when i cam back there it was. Seems prone to jinky pauses working with it too. Is that just me?

Anyhow, its worth it. Thanks.

Mr Rid
05-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Seems odd though, when I first double click on the Normal Displacement plugin to open it up, it freezes up my LW 9.0 for a good long while. ...

The higher res your mesh, the slower the Normal Displace gets. MorphMap is one of the best kept secrets. :)

SplineGod
05-23-2010, 09:48 PM
It is weird. I use it all the time in 9.6 without any issues. :)