PDA

View Full Version : Getting clean weighmaps on a dense mesh?

Algae998
05-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey all,

Ive got this pretty dense mesh Im trying to rig. I think the easiest way to get clean smooth weight map transitions might be to use the Weights>Linear>drag out arrow method..

Does anyone know of way to make sure every point equals 100%?

On a low poly character, its easy, 100%, 50%, 0% and match the opposite of that on the corresponding weight map. With the linear drag out arrow method Im having a hard time getting my weight maps to even out when two come together. Perhaps there are plugins for this?

If anyone has any insight on this itd be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Dodgy
05-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Open the object in vertex paint and use the normalize function in the weight painting menu.

Algae998
05-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Open the object in vertex paint and use the normalize function in the weight painting menu.

Do you have to have the weight map selected or do you select it in vertex paint? Ive never used vertex paint before so Im a bit confused as to how it works :confused:

Castius
05-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Vertex paint is a plugin that loads an extremal UI. In the menu at the top. It has a normalize function that all normalize all weights. You need skelegons for vertex paint to work. It's one of the better ways to paint weight maps in Modeler though. It's much easier to set a weight of 100 or 50 and just paint.

You can also use this.
http://loupguru.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=45&zenid=dcb26f89451d7e455e8e68b57bd55def

Algae998
05-19-2010, 02:40 PM
So if Im understanding the vertex paint and normalize correctly, I could create gradient weight maps or airbrush weight maps for the arms, legs and neck, then using normalize it will create the appropriate weight map for the body?

I tried it with my skelegons in the same layer but it made blank weight maps named after all the skelegons.

Thanks for the link to the plugin, Castius, looks like that could come in handy.

Dodgy
05-19-2010, 04:37 PM
If you have weight maps already painted it shouldn't wipe them out. Just click on the weight tab and go to the Edit menu, Normalize. This should go through your weightmaps and ensure their weights add up to 100% for the bones.

Algae998
05-20-2010, 05:58 PM
If you have weight maps already painted it shouldn't wipe them out. Just click on the weight tab and go to the Edit menu, Normalize. This should go through your weightmaps and ensure their weights add up to 100% for the bones.

Alright, Im still trying to figure this out..no luck so far. Id like to get it to work in LW before buying a 3rd party plugin :P

Perhaps Im doing it wrong? Ive uploaded an image to help illustrate whats going on. I created weight maps for the legs and body. I airbrushed the tail weight map where it connects to the body. Considering I used the airbrush feature, I want the weight map on the body to match the tail's so it deforms properly.

When I go to Vertex Paint, select one of the spine bones (that is associated with the body weight map) and hit Weight>Edit>Normalize, it knocks the body weight map from 100% down to about 15% (see attached image). It also deletes the tail weight map all together and creates a new blank weight map for the COG bone. :confused:

Can someone point out what Im missing?
Thanks again!

Dodgy
05-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Hmm, are you using one weightmap for several bones? Are they assigned in the Skelegon editor? If you are, then this might be the problem... It will bring those weightmaps in 'separately' and when it does the normalize it will go

(Bone01weight+Bone02weight+Bone02weight)/3
for each vertex, rather than just
(Bone01weight+Bone02weight)/2

What I would suggest is cutting all the bones but one bone per weightmap and pasting them in a new layer temporarily, leaving one bone per weightmap in the mesh layer, then opening Vertex paint and doing the normalise, then copy and pasting the sharing bones back into the mesh layer and merging them back together. That way you only have one copy of each weightmap being normalised and it should work.

You could give those cut/pasted sharing bones a different display colour to make them easier to spot and select.

jeanphi
05-21-2010, 07:18 AM
It looks like you have duplicated weights/bones for the same part of your model.
Check if you have duplicated bones (same position) or if 2 weights maps are assigned to the exact same body area.

Some advices for using vertex paint:

1- Named all your skelegons properly ( no bone001...)

2- Remove all your weight maps as vertex paint will generate weight maps that are matching your skelegons names.

3- remove your images so vertex paint will load faster

There is an advance version of vertex paint where you can use bones from a Layout scene and animation. It's "Vertex loader".
The only problem is that you need to save your scene as a 6.0 version in order to load it in vertex loader.
The advantage of vertex loader is you can have proper hierarchy even with unconnected bones. It support recorded pivots and you can play your animation.
On a blank modeler use vertex loader and point to a scene. It will open vertex loader and the corresponding .lwo object.
I mostly use vertex loader instead of vertex paint.

Algae998
05-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you for the help Dodgy and jeanphi, greatly appreciated. I did have multiple bones per weight map, the tail weight map for example had 20+ bones. Normalize finally worked when I cut all the bones from the mesh layer and pasted in only one bone per weight map. I guess it was getting confused and stumbling over so many bones. Thanks for the help!

Philbert
05-23-2010, 10:35 AM
I missed this conversation, but I just thought I'd add that FI's Weight Map Blur still works great and is free, though it is 32 bit only.

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1775