PDA

View Full Version : jettobevel updated! (and a boring post...)

jagoca
09-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Hi!

I've recently updated LScript jettobevel to 1.5beta. Included changes are:

-Now settings are mantained between sessions

-You can choose to copy VMap info from base points to new created geometry.

-Spinner controls added for shift and inset values. As you'll see, this is done in a very unelegant way, but is the only solution I've found due to LScript limitations. The main purpose was mantain distance fields. I tried also adding a mouse control, but this limited the drag to requester dimensions. What hurts my eyes are those nasty pixels to the left of the spinners...no solution.

Some of these implementations have required a decent code writting, specially the spinner controls and VMap issue. I've checked all along, however not extensively, so I will post it here and if no errors are encountered (nor related to problems with LScript :() I will send to flay and/or other forums.

The bad (or maybe good) notice is that JettoBevel will not receive further development, with the exception of bug corrections. The reason for this is that I've found LScript modeling too limited in certain areas, such as interactivity. I've also had lots of problems avoiding more undo levels, so the tool doesn't manage patches, which I found IS A MUST, and more... So I've decided start learning C (I know C, but I don't know how C plugs are implemented). I hope I could release JettoBevel as a full interactive tool also for patches in the future, till then...

Please, tell me problems with JettoBevel. I want to post a polished script. Also, along with the included SDK documentation, if anyone can tell me where to find good information about C plugins I would be really pleased.

Bye!, and, again, excuse my english.

mix
09-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Thats still version 1.1

Dodgy
09-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Well thank you very much! I wish you much luck in learning C and I look forward to seeing more great plugins like this one :)

mix
09-12-2003, 07:49 PM
My BAD.
Thanks for your effort in producing these cool scripts, I realy like The fillet tool, but are you able to make it as interactive as the bevel tool?. Now that would be realy good.:D

riki
09-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Still crashing, anyway maybe okay with OSX.

SLAYER
09-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Simply Amazing!
Probably the best 3rd party plug-in that I have.

Just ran it through lots of funky tests and did not crash. I was able to create some weird abstract stuff very fast and easy where there would have been alot of tweaking and tool swapping before. These tools will make things alot more simple and speedy.

If you are still concerned about crashes and system compatabilty, I am on an Athlon 1.4 with LW 7.5c and Win 2000. No crashes.

Can't believe that you are not charging for this. I paid $40 for rounder, which is sweet, but this kicks *** and can accomplish alot of what rounder does and more. Plus it is free.

You should talk to Newtek about implementing this into LW8 and maybe get some money from them if you aren't going to ask any from us.

Thanks for the tools.

SLAYER
09-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Oh yeah, I got mine in the PC-LW forum.

Do not know if it is different than the version here, but I see that it is not in the LW-Mac forum.

jagoca
09-13-2003, 06:37 AM
I will try to do an interactive jettoFillet as soon as possible. You can't figure how busy I am now (until next week, more or less, you know, exams and so..., perhaps JettoBevel has subsituted Industrial Electronics matter and I've a lot to study now). In addition with this, VMap support and settings memory has to be added. Texture VMAps will have to be tweakes, so the image on the poly doesn't get distorted.

I want to wait to version 8 to see implementations on LScript, perhaps I can still do a decent work on it :)

I want to make JettoBevel work with curves in profile mode, I will also try adding subpatch support. With this and some fixes, I will release 1.6 version (an perhaps last on LScript platform) which will be released arround.

Thats still version 1.1

mix, why is still version 1.1??? I've simply added 0.1 for each decent change (external or internal) Does version numeration follow any rules? As you see, I'm relatively new to programming.

bye.

riki
10-15-2003, 08:11 AM
Damn I just tried it on OSX and the same deal. At least it didn't freeze up my system this time, just crash Modeler. That's a shame I thought I'd be right with 7.5c on OSX

fxnut
10-23-2003, 01:41 PM
I don't usually rely on plugins when I'm doing modelling, but I just tried JettoBevel and JettoFillet out today and I'm blow away by them. Great stuff. Saved me loads of time and effort.

I tried writing a bevel tool myself the other day and so I know it's no trivial matter. Kinda given up now tho seeing what you've done!

Great work.

Andy

jagoca
10-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks for your comment!

Yes, programming such a tool isn't easy! the trick is finding the algorithm which calculates the selection contour in the correct order.

Once this is done (can't imagine the time it took to me, now, the algorithm used seems easy, but try to guess it...!) only a series of boucles (hundreds) and typical stuff remains. Adding options such as saving, beveling along curves and so is not very difficult.

In any case, LScript is a little yet powerful toy-language. I can't count the number of doubts which are surrounding me related to the SDK!

Bye!

Maimo
10-23-2003, 11:29 PM
I've been using it alot, saved me alot of time, Thanx, works great for modifing sub patches, it's great to bevel groups of quads all togther. It has a perminant place on my menu layout (until someone makes a better one.)

jagoca
10-24-2003, 02:23 AM
If someone makes a better one...:mad:

Just kidding!