PDA

View Full Version : I want to grow a tree!

daforum
05-18-2010, 03:42 PM
I tried DPonts Treecage7.5b and GrowingTreeCageDM scripts in LW 9.6 (Mac) today and Treecage7.5b works very well, building great trees; but GrowingTreeCageDM.lsc doesn't load in.

Is there a version or equivalent that runs in LW 9.6?

dpont
05-19-2010, 12:19 AM
It works here on PC,
Deform -> Lscript RT
I'dont remember if it was tested on a Mac,
it's so old that I even can put the hand
on the source.

Denis.

daforum
05-19-2010, 03:21 AM
Still not working here Denis after trying Deform -> Lscript RT :(
I used it on an Mac ibook using LW 7.5 a couple of years ago and it worked perfectly, but i can't use that machine anymore. Would love to use the script again.

dpont
05-19-2010, 03:49 AM
I recompiled it with LW9.6, hope it works on Mac,
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Growing_TreeCageDM_9.6.zip

Denis.

CaptainMarlowe
05-19-2010, 08:34 AM
I don't know what LW community would do without you !
I'm going to try it as soon as I'm back home. :)
Thanks again for your work.

daforum
05-19-2010, 02:21 PM
I recompiled it with LW9.6, hope it works on Mac,
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Growing_TreeCageDM_9.6.zip

Denis.

Hi denis. Thanks for recompiling this.
I tried it this afternoon and got an error when loading as Lscript RT
"Bad magic value on input file"
I don't know what this means?

I'm using LW 9.6 on Mac UB 10.4.11 if this helps.

dpont
05-19-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm afraid that I couldn't fix this,
since it has been compiled with 9.6
no compression and without error,
it works as expected for PC (like older version).

Those "Bad Magic" things has always been ...bad
with Lscript compilation but could be a new case
happening with MAC UB Lightwave Runtime Lscript.

Denis.

UnCommonGrafx
05-19-2010, 03:20 PM
One of the few times a cheap pc at hand would save the day and keep you on the go...

May not be what you want to hear but I see a lot of these issues expressed and One $300.00 investment would solve the problem for these rare cases.

Also, one of the cool things about the LW license: no extra dough for the other OS compile.

daforum
05-19-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm afraid that I couldn't fix this,
since it has been compiled with 9.6
no compression and without error,
it works as expected for PC (like older version).

Those "Bad Magic" things has always been ...bad
with Lscript compilation but could be a new case
happening with MAC UB Lightwave Runtime Lscript.

Denis.

Many, many thanks for trying to do this in the first place Denis. I didn't expect it and it was good of you to do it not only for me but also the community.

One of the few times a cheap pc at hand would save the day and keep you on the go...

May not be what you want to hear but I see a lot of these issues expressed and One $300.00 investment would solve the problem for these rare cases.

Also, one of the cool things about the LW license: no extra dough for the other OS compile.

Too true. I am giving serious thought to getting a PC laptop because there seems to be so much more for them as far as being able to do more with LightWave.
(Still like Macs though)

UnCommonGrafx
05-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I'm shocked the "war" still wages. Like it, get it use it. That's all a computer is. From there, it's about whether it makes money for you or not. Then, set the emotional baggage aside and invest wisely.
(Chuckle, like that's ever a guarantee.)

Both, all three, heck a fourth if you are nostalgic*, but having each of them around is a strength not a weakness. Or so I see.

*Win/Mac/Linux/Amiga

CaptainMarlowe
05-19-2010, 10:49 PM
If you own a windows license, with boot camp or fusion, or directly in Mac OS X through winebottler, the other way is to use Lightwave PC on your Mac. Haven't tried Winebottler yet on my mac, but I did use LW on my laptop with WINE on Ubuntu, and it worked very correctly - and yes, it can help for some issues and/or plugins.

CaptainMarlowe
05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I'm shocked the "war" still wages. Like it, get it use it. That's all a computer is. From there, it's about whether it makes money for you or not. Then, set the emotional baggage aside and invest wisely.
(Chuckle, like that's ever a guarantee.)

Both, all three, heck a fourth if you are nostalgic*, but having each of them around is a strength not a weakness. Or so I see.

*Win/Mac/Linux/Amiga

:agree:

Dunno about the Amiga (I was from the Atari side !) but I do feel useful to shift when necessary from OS X apps to Linux apps to windows apps. Even if my main box is the latest iMac and my preferred OS for a daily use is OS X, I do use the others a lot, especially Ubuntu on my laptop.

daforum
05-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Winebottler looks promising, but haven't tried it yet (not sure if it will run on Mac OSX 10.4.11)

Also, all the "How to" videos i've seen only use windows apps with a small appetite, nothing too processor or memory hungry if you get my drift!

daforum
05-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi Denis,

I just wanted to let you know that I downloaded your "Growing_TreeCageDM.lsc" and it loads and works in LW9.6 on Mac UB :)
It's the one dated (05/04/03)

This is great news for the Mac users who like me want to be able to grow trees in LW
I just tried it this afternoon and it works (of course I had to match the Treecage settings as I was having a few crashes, but when I got the settings to match, bingo!)

Thanks for a great script :)

daforum
05-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Looking back, I have just read the first post in this thread and I said that "Growing_TreeCageDM.lsc didn't load in" so i don't know why it does now?!!

...but i'm very glad it does :)