PDA

View Full Version : Small diameter cable/bar hard to see in scene.

drpalo
05-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Once again, I'm new to this. But I'm taking classes soon!

I have a scene of a construction sight with a POV camera from the crane cab looking at the load. There are 2 rebar walls on the building (.5" dia) that are showing as dotted/dashed lines. Same with the crane cable (1" dia). Is this typical for small diameter objects to not show well graphically? I thought rendering the frame might give a higher "quality" picture but all i got was a blue screen. See attached. Thanks for any help.84905

Nangleator
05-18-2010, 08:11 AM
With decent settings for your camera, you'll have results at least as good as a real camera looking at real objects.

In other words, a half inch cable a hundred feet away isn't going to be clearly visible on a real NTSC camera, so don't expect it to be with NTSC camera settings in LW.

If you need to show things like that, consider adding some zoom moves for your LW camera.

05-18-2010, 09:15 AM
The trouble with a thin cable is that you will often need masive anti-aliasing settings (loooooong render times) to get it to show as a consistent thin line with no jitters.
Workaround:
I often have to produce renders/animations where we want 'not to accidentaly pretend there are no cables there' - and I've got into the habit of making my cables much thicker than real (3 or 4 times perhaps) and either part disolving them or making them part transparent.

Nangleator
05-18-2010, 09:18 AM
To fatten existing tubes, Point Normal Move is your friend.

drpalo
05-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Problem is, I work for an engineering firm. My job is to re-create/animate construction site accidents & everything needs to ba as accurate as possible for use in court. I need to show what the crane operator see's thru his eyes. Maybe changing the size a little bit is an option. As far as the antialiasing is concerned, I'm assuming you mean the setting in the camera properties correct? How high is too high or what is a good number to start with? I can handle a couple hours of render time. Thanks all.

probiner
05-18-2010, 10:30 AM
What if you render 200% size and then scale it down?

Cheers