PDA

View Full Version : Adding detail to models

Mr-Wizard
02-27-2003, 12:16 PM
Hey,

I currently modelling a Audi TT using Sub Patch surfaces, however, I'm having problems adding details such as body work joints and curved indentations. Whats the best way to add detail to a model like this? I've considered freezing the model and then stenciling details on to the model. I've tried modelling details onto the model but this has resulted in too many polys and a loss of the nice curves.

I'm fairly new to Lightwave (as you've probably guessed) and not got any good modelling skills yet - would really appreciate the help.

Cheers

brtk
02-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Well I dont know yet... I just started to build a subpatch car today, Ive been doing poly stuff only for a year or two. BUT for the joints Id try a couple of DAZ plugs: Edge Bevel and Point Normal Move combined with LWs Bandsaw... I just used this method on poly models dut it should work on sds too...

First u select edge points and run Edge Bevel with little offset, RMB to confirm and deselect all points - youll get nice row of quads, second run Bandsaw on thoise quads with two keys something like 0.01 and 0.99 - keep the points selected, third and last use point normal move to move in selected points...Thats it. Well, youll probably get some 5 point polys at the ends that youll need to clean out manually... Heres a link to DAZ site and a little 5 min test pic:

http://www.daz3d.com/pages/dp/development/developright.html

mattclary
02-28-2003, 05:50 AM
I have barely touched sub-d modeling, but I think this can be accomplished (in part) by using weight maps to increase tension on edges. The best way to demonstrate this is to turn a cube into a sub-d surface and apply a weight map to an edge. You can sharpen and dull that edge by adjusting the weight map. Hope this helps...

brtk
02-28-2003, 07:16 AM
No LW doesn´t have edge weihting, it has point weigting - there was a lot of discussion about this in the old forums. Here is a picture that illustrates the problen. The upper object uses weights, the lower one has more geometry added along the edges...The model that uses weights has edges between the points clearly visible - the sds surface is simply "pinched" to the points of original polygon cage - looking no good.

mattclary
02-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Sorry, I mis-spoke. I know LW doesn't consider "edges" as an entity, but you can effectively sharpen the edge by weighting the points there. Might not be ideal, but if used properly, it can help.

hrgiger
03-02-2003, 09:03 AM
Point weighting in LW, if used properly like Matt says, can be very useful. But in my experience, using it to model something here like what you're talking about with car detail isn't always the best answer. Until we get edge weighting in LW, adding more geometry is usually the best answer to control the flow of the model.

Mr-Wizard
03-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Cheers for all the help guys,

I've been doing some experimenting and I must agree adding more geometry seems the best option. I also found the car tutorial by Lewis to very eye-opening - I'm sure there will be some info in there as well!!!

Thanks Again

automan25
03-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Where did you find the Lewis car tutorial?

Mr-Wizard
03-03-2003, 06:06 AM
The greatest tutorial ever made?

Click Here (http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4936&pagenumber=1)

Meaty
03-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by mattclary
Sorry, I mis-spoke. I know LW doesn't consider "edges" as an entity, but you can effectively sharpen the edge by weighting the points there. Might not be ideal, but if used properly, it can help.

Unfortunatly this is a common misconception. Yes two weights do make up an 'edge.' But point weights effect every edge that goes away from a point, not just the other point you happen to be weighting at the same given time. The only real alternative is to add geometry. Point weights do have their uses, but imo, sharpening edges is not one of them.

jin choung
03-03-2003, 08:53 PM
yes people,

for the love of god, let's get this straight, SELECTING VERTICES along an edge and then WEIGHTING THAT is COMPLETELY, ABSOLUTELY DIFFERENT from weighting the edge.

IT IS NOT THE SAME THING!

when weighting an edge, you want to crease directionally. but in weighting a vertex, you sharpen OMNI-DIRECTIONALLY! that is, EVERY EDGE going into the vertex.

it is very nearly useless....

jin

mattclary
03-04-2003, 01:14 PM
Uhhhhh, OK guys, forget I mentioned it.