PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph 2010

oliversimonnet
05-17-2010, 07:09 AM
hello.
i have been looking at the NewTek events page http://www.newtek.com/newtek_events.php
and i was just wondering, if the SIGGRAPH is on TV?
or is it only like seen on the internet?

Philbert
05-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Siggraph can really only be seen in person. I've gone twice and it's always lots of fun. Though sometimes NewTek does a live web stream from their booth, but that's only their booth.

I have a few pics (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157604208473020/) from my Siggraph 2004 trip. :)

oliversimonnet
05-20-2010, 02:04 AM
aaaa OK thank you.
i was just asking because it said its in LA, and i don't think i will be going all the way to LA in July sins i am going to Spain in June :)
aa and cool pics i didn't no dick van dike was a LW user. amazing lol
hoo and di dyou go to the DAVE school in 2004 then?

thank you for the info

Philbert
05-20-2010, 04:39 AM
aaaa OK thank you.
and di dyou go to the DAVE school in 2004 then?

No I actually graduated from DAVE in early 2003. They just allowed me to come along with their group. Sadly the school isn't making the annual trip any more.

oliversimonnet
05-20-2010, 05:14 AM
aaa ok cool
aww that's a shame
i am hoping to go to the DAVE school at some point :)

calilifestyle
05-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Is Newtek offering a free pass this year, to the expo.

Philbert
05-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I haven't noticed yet, but probably. If not them I'm sure somebody will. I think it's a little too early to tell.

evolross
06-21-2010, 11:12 PM
aaa ok cool
aww that's a shame
i am hoping to go to the DAVE school at some point :)
You may want to re-think DAVE school. I know a bunch of graduates out here in LA and their opinions are all very mixed. And they all told me it was bought out and is switching entirely over to Autodesk Maya. And William "Proton" Vaughn no longer works there. If he were still there, it might be a different story. Apparently it was being managed into oblivion and the owners were lucky to have sold it. My ex-girlfriend was their office assistant.

Look into Gnomon in LA or Vancouver Film School. Those are both pretty well-respected VFX schools.

Philbert
06-21-2010, 11:19 PM
DAVE was sold to a big investment firm in NY, but Jeff Sheetz the founder, is still running it and makes all of the decisions.

evolross
06-21-2010, 11:28 PM
To DAVE's credit, most of the graduates I know are working. So that says something. I've heard that Gnomon graduates have landed some pretty amazing gigs right out of the gate however.... as the school is really connected to the active industry in LA. Food for thought.

Vincenzo
06-27-2010, 08:36 PM
I hope there is a big Lightwave presence at Siggraph. It would be nice to meet some fellow wavers.

Philbert
06-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm definitely going to try to make it, especially since Pilgway (3D-Coat) will be there as well as NewTek.

cgisoul
06-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Will Newtek show off CORE or any innovations?

I certainly won't be able to attend it, since I'm in Asia.

Philbert
06-28-2010, 12:41 AM
I'm sure they will have lots of CORE stuff to show. A few times they have live streamed video from their booth maybe you can see that way.

Titus
06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Will Newtek show off CORE or any innovations?

I certainly won't be able to attend it, since I'm in Asia.

They usually don't show innovations, only stuff already available. So my guess is they will show Core only if it's out.

Philbert
06-29-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't know, last year they didn't have any new stuff to show, so they just didn't go to Siggraph.

LW_Will
07-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Philbert,

Do you think Pilgway will have licences to sell? I'm definitely going!

Philbert
07-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't know but either way you can just buy online. Of course if you get the trial version and buy during that time you get a big discount. According to the floor plan (http://old.siggraph.org/s2010/downloads/SIGGRAPH2010Floorplan.pdf) Pilgway's booth is right near NewTek's (just to the left on the plan), so pop over. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it yet, but if I can I told Andrew I'd help out there.

BTW there's a big update coming up probably in the next few days.

hrgiger
07-04-2010, 03:35 PM
They usually don't show innovations, only stuff already available. So my guess is they will show Core only if it's out.

Well CORE certainly won't be out for Siggraph by any means. But I would be surprised if they didn't show some CORE as it's bundled with the next version of Lightwave.