PDA

View Full Version : Building cities! from Open street Map-houdini

prometheus
05-17-2010, 02:52 AM
Not sure but some of the basic techniques might be applicapable to lightwave.
CMIvfx tutorials

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1721&Itemid=66

I do not know about the pipeline to get osm data into lightwave thou,
have to check it out.

Michael

MrWyatt
05-17-2010, 03:25 AM
Not sure but some of the basic techniques might be applicapable to lightwave.
CMIvfx tutorials

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1721&Itemid=66

I do not know about the pipeline to get osm data into lightwave thou,
have to check it out.

Michael

due to the nondestructive procedural workflow of Houdini and the total opposite one in LW, I just don't see how that could be possible.

Netvudu
05-17-2010, 03:37 AM
Not possible with LW nor with MAX/Maya/Softimage/C4D/Modo or Blender unless a big amount of coding in any of those was involved, of course. This procedural modelling workflow is Houdiniīs very own playground

EDIT: I donīt mean osm data is not possible to bring to LW or any other package, I mean that all thatīs done with it in that Houdini tut ainīt possible. Re-reading prometheus post, some simple operations might be possible. Still, some scripting would be needed.

EDIT 2: Of course, some Python is also used in that Houdini example, but the fact that there is a Python SOP in Houdini makes the blending of that code into the whole workflow almost seamless. Procedural modelling with that data, remains untouchable for the other apps.

Soth
05-17-2010, 04:10 AM
I heard that is Victors dream for CORE, I hope we will get it soon. :)

Netvudu
05-17-2010, 04:26 AM
if anyone can do this for LW, thatīs Victor "a.k.a" LWCAD God. :)

prometheus
05-17-2010, 04:34 AM
yepp, Victor and Lw-cad might be able to pull something up with future core,
and since core has python scripting it probably will provide with the basis for it all.

Lw-cadīs 3d cloning tools are nice, but would be awesome with history-non destructive parameters.
would be sweet to go in and change roofing tiles, or wall panels on a house at any time.
same goes for setting up buildings with windows and doors or even facades, just go in there and change window types,sizes or positions.

When those options are available it will take it Lw cad and lighwave to a whole different level.

Michael

bjornkn
05-17-2010, 04:49 AM
Any idea where they get that height/altitude building data from?
As far as I can see there are no such data in the XML/osm files?

prometheus
05-17-2010, 05:39 AM
due to the nondestructive procedural workflow of Houdini and the total opposite one in LW, I just don't see how that could be possible.

yepp that is certainly true, at least for history changes of items.

But for core this might be possible I guess.

If anyone knows how to get the OSM MAPS into lightwave? Im all ears anyway.

Michael

Tranimatronic
05-17-2010, 06:41 AM
Any idea where they get that height/altitude building data from?
As far as I can see there are no such data in the XML/osm files?

My thoughts exactly.
I did read this :-
"To resolve this problem, the implementation of another Open Street Map export type will be utilized to extract the missing buildings"
so I am wondering if the height maps are coming from elsewhere. Either that or it is just random ???

iain_r
05-17-2010, 06:58 AM
There is another option amongst the various exports to export the data as SVG, it should then be possible to get this into lightwave via an eps file. Haven't found anything regarding height data but the wiki points to a 3D version being used by a university.

Soth
05-17-2010, 07:18 AM
I quite sure its random, there is no other way.

T-Light
05-17-2010, 11:19 AM
It's possible that some height map data libraries have building heights, NASA's worlwind has an example here... (Scankort Denmark Data)
http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/java/demos/

In the CMIvfx tutorials link, the author says...

to generate a 'custom' variant of it

So I'm guessing the city buildings height (and everything else) are indeed random. Another problem with Open Street Maps is they're not complete. I was having a look at a couple of local towns a week or two ago and they only had a few roads as opposed to thousands.

Although it's a bit more work. you could try this...
1) Peice together an image of the map you want
2) Use a conversion tool to export the grey blocks as a vector file
3) Extrude the Vectors in modeler.

I don't have any image->vector conversion progs on this machine or I'd give it a bash.

monovich
05-17-2010, 11:46 AM
gosh. its all so terribly logical and efficient. I definitely hope CORE can pull things like this off eventually. I suspect it will, because if its really as open as I think it is the third party developers are going to have a field day.

iain_r
05-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Looking at the various tags in the files there is a height tag, elevation and building levels tag. I've just looked through a map for near where I live, the data incomplete and doesn't list heights or elevations, even though it's not on flat. A quick look through the Manhattan file has some building tags with elevation data. But it's far from complete. Guess you need to pull external SRTM data. There is some info on importing contours.