PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using dropbox for VC?

Stunt Pixels
05-16-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm using dropbox for my office file stuff, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried using it for production assets? Has anyone had issues with larger files or the version control? Or are there other negatives to be aware of that I just haven't experienced yet?

In case you don't know what it is it's an online storage thing, the free one gives you 2GB+ online backup (you can get up to 100 GB in the commercial), synchronises files between computers, has built in version control, and is a sweet way to exchange files with contractors without going FTP. Here's a link to Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTU0MDQ1Njc5) (full disclosure - if anyone joins via that link we each get an extra 250 MB storage, but it is a really useful utility).

Cheers

calilifestyle
05-16-2010, 11:30 PM
drop box here, lol but not sure about vc. I mean few times i had to go and download an old version or something i deleted.

calilifestyle
05-16-2010, 11:33 PM
I have one light wave folder.With obj, scene and images in there. so when I'm doing a lot of moving around i save almost all items on there.

If obj had a image of what was saved. Like 3d max, it would be a great pdm like vault system. This way you could have just one name no -001 -002 003 yeah that could be great.

akademus
05-17-2010, 02:40 AM
I used it extensively for a freelance project for overseas production. It worked great, especially with rendering projects, because I set LW to render to dropbox and as file in sequence was rendered it was automatically uploaded. Much better that rendering and sending large amount of data later.

It is really great for collaboration, because everyone is constantly updated about things and dropbox keeps backups of your stuff for you :)

Awesome little tool, I love it.

Stunt Pixels
05-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of letting it look after my work backups in addition to office files, rather than getting a network drive. Will work out far cheaper, and has remote backup. It's just, for some reason, I've been reluctant to leave the backups to someone else (even though I'd automatically duplicate everything to another computer anyway)... The automatic version control really appeals to me, just wanted to know if had stuffed up for anyone with large files. Maybe I'll run in parallel for a while...

Cheers

Stunt Pixels
05-18-2010, 06:40 PM
BTW, found how to sync any folder with dropbox, might be useful for someone else... I had issues with keeping all my content under my dropbox folder...

link (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/02/sync_files_and_folders_outside_your_my_dropbox_fol der-2/)

geo_n
05-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Just tried it. Only max 8 gig though.
I'm using skydrive too.

JeffrySG
05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Yep, love DB. They have a free iPhone app too which is nice to have.

OlaHaldor
05-19-2010, 12:26 AM
If I had a super internet connection at work I would use it more. But you know, these internet delivery guys have a monopole here and all and want to charge more than the monthly rent for our offices, and that's just for 10mbit..

Anyway - my experience with Dropbox is positive. Only negative thing is when a client uses it for backups, and I get to work and see I have downloaded 50GB worth of business plans, contracts, photos, videos, and God only knows what....

Lamont
05-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Dropbox is NOT version control.

Stunt Pixels
05-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Dropbox is NOT version control.

Well, maybe not in some senses. But I can go through their website, navigate to the file(s) I want, and get a dropdown list of previous versions I can restore. Not every previous version is there, but looks enough for me.

Which aspects of version control is it missing for you?

Cheers

Lamont
05-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Multiple users, a repository that's accessible, a real check-in/check-out system, bring back a previous version (not just resurrect the file of the same name), branching...being able to annotate uploads.

If you want to introduce version control into your workflow, there's tons of solutions. I use dropbox to send stuff to people.

daforum
05-20-2010, 03:12 PM
I've just started using Dropbox and it is good. Got the app for ipod touch too and I'm able to view files on that too.
Only problem i've noticed and would like to change is when putting files into my Dropbox folder it "moves" them doesn't automatically copy, so if I wanted to use it as a temporary online backup or to send that would be the only copy of the file(s) i would have.
It just comes from experince of moving/ copying files to an external hard-drive and then having a backup.

It's still good though, and i like being able to go to work without an external HD.