PDA

View Full Version : New NT Website

radams
05-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi All...if you link directly to these forums...check out just NT's home page.

They have really overhauled their whole look and presentation.
What do you all think?

Note: one irritating issue...
The community menu color is awful...pepto colored...yuck.

Cheers,

radams
05-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Also all the menus seem slow to reveal...and hangs when the screen updates.

Cheers,

GraphXs
05-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Overall it's really nice! Like to see how it goes between all the products! Great Job Newtek!!:D

T-Light
05-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I like it. Very punchy.

Agree on the pepto pink, bit a clash with the other colours.

Edit -
On second thoughts, I hadn't realised the pink was the community only section (it's the only one I checked). After looking at all the rest I've changed my mind, I like it, it works as a whole.

Titus
05-16-2010, 10:09 PM
The new site looks a little twitterish, facebookish, digg... and takes time to load.

radams
05-16-2010, 10:40 PM
As for me...I have mixed feeling about the new site..

There are some nice ideas and implementations.

But everything seems so slow...and it hangs when changing the screen.
The screen updates are so slow as well...

So if it were more responsive...and interactive...I think I would like it better.

Cheers,

Dodgy
05-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Anyone else getting a formatting problem in Firefox 3.63? I'm getting the shop button under the about button rather than at the end.

radams
05-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Anyone else getting a formatting problem in Firefox 3.63? I'm getting the shop button under the about button rather than at the end.

Mine is fine here...just slow interaction.

BlueApple
05-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Overall it looks good. I'm not a fan of so many colors being used in the drop down menus, and there is a hiccup when the Flash content right below the navigation transitions (right when it goes white).

radams
05-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Yup I agree with you blueapple

From a design stand point:
One of the flash backgrounds that has NT "world wide leader in video and 3D animation"...the elements used convey a paint system...not video/3D animation.

Sorry I know I am being picky...but when I look at the graphic elements...it just doesn't convey what is stated...and since Aura isn't being sold anymore...why give the impression of a paint system?

It's the Supervisor/Designer in me...that's being an arss :)

Cheers,

BlueApple
05-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Another suggestion I'd make would be to have "About," "Products," etc. actually be buttons that take the user somewhere. Adobe's site handles this the way that I prefer, where rolling over "Solutions" reveals a drop down menu and clicking on "Solutions" takes you somewhere as well. Navigation should be immediately available if possible, and not require the user to find the buttons that move them through the site.

Of course, some links are returning 404 errors, so perhaps we are being hasty in our criticism. Maybe the whole thing will be up tomorrow and it'll get a second look.

prometheus
05-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Uhhm..In not that fond of it, somethings bothering me about it, canīt pin point it thou, but probably something with the backgrounds.

Oh by the way, isnīt it time for newtek to get a new logo design for newtek, personally the skewed circle with the skewed N feels so outdated, perhaps a new font type would be looked in to as well.

I would try and match the Main site with the style to those of the lightwave
forums, but with a little more colour toned items, but carefully implemented against the gray white and black design.
I really like the banner of this forum, with the underlaying fabric texture and
a loga that has a little imprinted style on it.

Michael

erikals
05-17-2010, 05:09 PM
it's alright imo, but i'd like to see it a bit more structured /cleaner layout.
(pulldowns should be 1 color me thinks)

Zane Condren
05-18-2010, 08:03 AM
What browser are you using Ray? The new page should be much faster to load then the previous page.

erikals
05-18-2010, 08:12 AM
note, i use firefox 3.5.2 and it's quite fast

AmigaNewTek
05-18-2010, 08:32 AM
The community menu color is awful

agree.

The whole look is ok, tho.

Does this website update mean that they are about to announce something?

Wickster
05-18-2010, 08:35 AM
I like it overall.
Using FireFox 3.7a5pre (Minefield) here and the page loads quite fast.

radams
05-18-2010, 06:06 PM
What browser are you using Ray? The new page should be much faster to load then the previous page.

ie8 and Firefox 3.63

It isn't so much the initial page loading that is the issue...but how it reacts (or not) once it loads. It feels like everything is in slow motion and you have to wait for menus and everything to react.

Cheers,

3D Kiwi
05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Im going to chime in here and say i never liked the old website, colors or layout and i think this one is just as bad. It looks like some kind of news site not a creative site. I really think they need to change there website guys. I like the modo. houdini and c4d sites. first thing you see are some nice images that make you think, ill take a closer look here. The nt site dosnt give me that feeling.

ok i just saw that the lightwave page hasnt changed just the newtek one. But my opinion is the same.

probiner
05-18-2010, 08:12 PM
It looks like some kind of news site not a creative site.

I would say it looks like an sales department office room... where everything it's organized in a box, clean, but not necessarily attractive. (the sexy that Jin always talked to much)
The "news" look might be influence of the broadcast side of NT. But i don't understand what is that paint look in the first page. NT painting applications developer? Maybe those are some Hypervoxels =P

There's so much more that NT can abuse in showing they're hability to develop a wide range of products, with speed and easyness being one of the major plus in them.
Check http://www.gamespot.com/ it starts out with a vid and you have a "new stuff" area where with buttons you can roll over and check it out.
Also i think in the first page the "products" shouldnt be in a scroll menu, but right there on the front page as a list, as secondary toolbar (look at orange gamespot bar), or like some rollo ver buttons where you can see some "sexy" animation before you go to the product.

Anyway, looks better than the old one :)

silver fox
05-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Zane,

Is this a temporary, :beta: test for your new website???

I have to agree with Ray Adams :agree:. I am also using Firefox 3.63 and the new site seems much slower/sluggish than your old site with both the loading of the flash animations and with the drop down menus. Also, the colors used in the drop down menus seem too amateur-ish and gaudy for a company of your high standing and standards.

I also agree about the first screen in your main intro flash animation does not convey the feeling about your main products, all of which are video & animation production and not a "Paint System"! I watched it for a few minutes and that first image is only shown once at the start-up of the sequence. I personally like the "TriCaster Screen" better as a start-up image (drop the first screen altogether and incorporate what is necessary into the "Tricaster Screen; it conveys what your company is all about).

Just my 2 cents!

Ron Gratreaks
Las Vegas, NV

Andyjaggy
05-19-2010, 12:49 PM
It's okay. The colors are terrible though. It hurts my eyes.

Larry_g1s
05-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Not bad...not bad at all. I think much better then before.

Philbert
05-19-2010, 06:05 PM
It looks nice, though a little busy IMO. Also it is fairly slow. My mouse has a flywheel and most pages, like this forum thread, scroll up and down just as fast as I can flick the wheel. But the new NT page continues slowly scrolling for a couple of seconds after my mouse wheel has stopped.

Silkrooster
05-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Looks good to me, if anything it looks more professional than the last design. It seams fairly quick to me.

colkai
05-20-2010, 02:54 AM
Too busy for me and I could not quite figure out what type of site it was.
News? Sales? Blog?

So much on the screen and disjointed all it encouraged me to do was hit the 'close tab' button. Very corporate, very muddy, in both IE7 and Firefox 3.0, sorry Newtek, as old as the other one was, even it looked better than this for me.

rsfd
05-20-2010, 05:54 AM
although a necessary step, I have to agree with 3D Kiwi & co:
it reminds me of the "Microsoft designs the iPod package" parodie (http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=36099539665548298#) from 2006. Unfortunately.

Martin Adams
05-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but Newtek shouldn't use hovers only to access the navigation. Most mobile or touch screen device support hovering, so they can't navigate. The top level navigation should be clickable to a list of sub menu items.

Philbert
05-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but Newtek shouldn't use hovers only to access the navigation. Most mobile or touch screen device support hovering, so they can't navigate. The top level navigation should be clickable to a list of sub menu items.

If you're referring to the menu across the top, it works fine on my iPhone. Well, fine as in you can tap each menu and it opens. The opening animation is however extremely slow.

Martin Adams
05-20-2010, 06:53 AM
If you're referring to the menu across the top, it works fine on my iPhone. Well, fine as in you can tap each menu and it opens. The opening animation is however extremely slow.

Ahh that's good, I noticed on a desktop clicking didn't do anything as the hover already expanded it. When I tried to navigate to the forum from the old newtek site on my iPhone, I couldn't do it because of that problem. Glad they have taken that into consideration.

Hieron
05-20-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't think it is possible to add more variation in tekst, button, graphic sizes. All a big overload, resulting in a swift *exit*.

I'ts fancier looking than the last one, but I'd have expected better in 2010.. Sometimes less is more, especially on the opening page. Newtek products and events have their own button in the bar, why repeat that with big fonts and space on the middle of the same page and again at the bottom? Same for community etc.

The news has a button and a section as well, but perhaps allow the 1 best news item a place on the front page, rest deeper behind.

see lux and AD for nice examples..

probiner
07-26-2010, 02:08 AM
This would be some nice front page or part of it.
http://www.newtek.com/siggraph_10/