PDA

View Full Version : DVCPRO Problem

GregGerlach
09-12-2003, 12:40 PM
I'm having a problem with my AJ-D650 and the VT3 RS-422 Print to Tape function. The edit mode buttons (assemble, video, audio 1 and audio 2) buttons are inoperable. Newtek has sent me a diagnositcs program that has determined that two polling commands in the RS-422 protocol are not working properly with my deck. I was wondering if any other VT3 users with DVCPRO decks have encountered this same problem. Print to Tape works fine with my UVW-1800 deck. An engineer for Panasonic says he doubts whether there's anything wrong with my deck since other edit controllers work with it. Panasonic says they use the same RS-422 protocol for all of their decks, so other VT3 users may be having this problem as well. If you do, let me know. If you have a DVCPRO deck and haven't tried using the Print to Tape function, please give it a try. I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem with their DVCPRO decks.

Greg Gerlach
Gerlach Productions
Lexington, KY

GregGerlach
09-24-2003, 07:52 AM
We have confirmed that there is a print to tape protocol compatability issue with the Panasonic DVCPRO 600 series decks (and perhaps other model series as well). Newtek has sent me a replacement file but it is build-specific. A permanent fix for this should turn up in the next build. If you have a need to get this fixed before the next build comes out, contact Newtek tech support. Tell them that software engineer James Killian has the replacement file.

Greg Gerlach
Lexington, KY

sywitt
09-24-2003, 04:13 PM
We have issues with the audio being out of sync by one second when batch capturing from our DVCPro Panasonic AJD-230. I wonder if they're related to your problems. James sent me some test files to work with but I havent' had down time to work with them. I DID spend a number of hours during the beta sending stuff back and forth. I'll dig out those test files and get the reports to James.

Sy Witt
Ramona Rose Studio, Inc.

GregGerlach
09-25-2003, 10:11 AM
I have an AJ-D650 and have experienced no such problems with the batch capture. I use RS-422 and component input.

sywitt
09-25-2003, 11:00 AM
I think the 230 mimics the 700's more than the 600. I sure hope they figure this out! The wierd thing is that regular capture is just fine. I'd guess it's the way that the BC front end is handling the timecode coming from the deck. Maybe it's reading the audio wrong? I can manually capture fine in VT3 and I can BC from Speed Razor in sync (no pun intended) but not VT3.

Sy

GregGerlach
09-25-2003, 11:47 AM
There really aren't too many options to set in batch capture but one you might check is in the "Source Preset" window. Make sure your trim setting is set to 0 frames. Have you tried monitoring the video and audio output of your VT3 during batch capture? If your audio sounds perfectly synchronized (listening to VT3 audio-video out) during the batch capture process, you indeed do have a unique problem.

sywitt
09-25-2003, 06:29 PM
Yeh, it's weird. But it's happening. When you look at the clip, you see 1 sec of flat audio where the video starts. If you move the audio clip forward 1sec. it matches up with the beginning of the video. This ONLY happens with BC.

Sy Witt