PDA

View Full Version : Model and Render in LW Simultaneously?

duderender
09-12-2003, 12:18 PM
Is there a way with lightwave in where I can send a rendering job to a networked computer while I work/model on another without having 2 lw's?

Is this what I can do with screamernet?

omeone
09-12-2003, 02:22 PM
yep, first you have to figure out screamernet, which is really simple when you now how, but can be difficult to get a handle on at the first.

Then you run a session of Layout not attached to the hub, and from that run screamer net.

That will leave your 'normal' session of Modeler and Layout which are attached to the hub available to run as normal.

09-13-2003, 02:07 AM
Because LWs lwsn (rendering node) is free you can run it on as many machines as you like.
better to use a 3rd party (non dongled) render controller like Lightnet.
This means that the 1) that you can set it up so that every machine you have on your network will automatically start rendering if its not being used more than n% after t minutes (set by you). 2) background render is controlled from any machine of your choice and you can devote your main machine's resources to whatever you're working on next, and even reboot - without disturbing the render.
(with Lightnet (not so sure about the others) the iles containing the information about whats been put to render and who's doing what etc can be directed onto your server, so even the machine in charge of the render can be re-booted and everything gets going again.

YOU MUST FIRST SET UP YOUR LIGHTWAVE INSTALL AND DIRECTORIES FOR NETWORK RENDERING. DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT NOT READING THE ASSORTED THREADS IN HERE 'TILL YOUVE GOT A HANDLE ON IT !

The key points are 1) that every directory involved in the process must be seen by every machine in the same way. and 2) every mahine can only see a 'master' set of .cfg files. If it can see any others (e.g. in a 'documents and settings directory - where they are automatically placed on LW install) - it will use those instead of the ones you have set up

for instance, it won't work if your machine thinks that the LW files are in c:\Programs\LW and all the other machines see them in F:\LW