PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster TXCD300 Outputs cropped?

jcwu
05-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi,

Our church recently got up and running with the TXCD300, and we've been tickled pink with the quality of the video. We're putting out the Program output on the 2nd DVI port to broadcast to our lobby, and that's been working really well, too.

But we found a slight problem when we started using the component and composite outputs for broadcast - the outputs are cropped! On the DVI output, we get the full Program out, but on the component and composite outputs, the edges are cropped, which ends up cutting off some text.

I know the obvious solution is to not put text so close to the edge, but is there an explanation of why the component/composite outputs are cropped? Is this by design, or is there something wrong with our unit?

Thanks!

SBowie
05-14-2010, 01:45 PM
But we found a slight problem when we started using the component and composite outputs for broadcast - the outputs are cropped! On the DVI output, we get the full Program out, but on the component and composite outputs, the edges are cropped, which ends up cutting off some text.What session format are you running?

jcwu
05-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi Steve,

We're running 1080i.

bbeanan
05-14-2010, 02:33 PM
it is most likely your monitor ALL tvs crop your image (hence the Action Safe and Title Safe zones) as soon as you use a non-digital output your monitor thinks it is a normal video output and needs to be trimmed down (Overscan)

The best way to check is to use a broadcast monitor and push the Underscan button you will then see the full image.

SBowie
05-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Possible. In an HD session (which is, of course, 16:9), the only functional analog video output (for TCXD300) is on Row 3. Since the session is 16:9, Row 3 output should also be 16:9, or in other words, anamorphic widescreen SD.

It's hard to predict how your monitors might handle that format but hopefully you can configure them for 16:9. Regardless, if the devices have wide bezels, you may have to respect the usual SD precautions about title and action safe zone. That said, I suspect that your SD monitors may actually be configured incorrectly, and are cropping the 16x9 video stream to 4:3 (not that this is necessarily a bad thing - it's going to be your call).

jcwu
05-14-2010, 03:42 PM
The cropping is happening on both my SD and HD outputs. I have the 2nd row's component out hooked up to a Kramer scaler's component input, and that's actually more cropped than the SD output. But perhaps the scaler isn't configured correctly either.

Until we have more time to delve into the problem, though, our temporary solution is to just stay away from the edges. :)

Cabe
05-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah sounds like an under scanning issue on the output displays. I despise running TV's from analogue connections for just this reason. It's all so unnecessary with TFT's its a constant surprise to me that the it still exists. Give a digital connection with exact scan any day.