PDA

View Full Version : What comes with HardCORE?

Philbert
05-14-2010, 04:41 AM
Can we clarify this once and for all? Please tell me if I'm wrong. The way I understood it you pay $895 ($495 to upgrade) and what that gets you is LWHC (Modeler and Layout), plus beta testing of CORE until 1.0 is released. When 1.0 is released you also get a full license of it.

And of course the following:

Continued updates to LightWave v9
First to receive the Cocoaź version of LightWave
Private community area with forums for interaction with one another and the LightWave development team
Exclusive development presentations and updates
LightWave with CORE Technology training videos
VIP invitations to special events
Personalized membership card
Exclusive LightWave with CORE Technology t-shirt

A friend has been asking about this and cannot seem to get a straight answer about whether or not CORE 1.0 is also included.

Kuzey
05-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Newtek have said, no matter the delay, people will get their gold Core1.

Of course, that was before the restructuring and what not...better to wait and see what Newtek says about the future of Core and or LW/LWHC.

Kuzey

oliversimonnet
05-14-2010, 08:41 AM
hello
dont no if this helps ( i think it will) but this page has quite a bit of info on core.
i found it helpful (even tho i still dont relay understand lol)
http://www.dv.com/article/78898

hope its helpful

and if any one can tell me if:

"HardCORE annual membership for $495." does that mean we hafto give them $495 every year if we want to stay as a member?

thank you in advance :)

Philbert
05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
I was mostly curious if the recent events had changed anything.

oliversimonnet
05-14-2010, 12:32 PM
I was mostly curious if the recent events had changed anything.

recent events? i didnt know there was any lol
(i havent read any news lol)

Philbert
05-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes Jay Roth has taken a leave of absence and the 3D division is now being lead by Chuck Baker and Rob Powers. See here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108984

oliversimonnet
05-14-2010, 01:15 PM
aaaa mm i duno
do you think they ill change anything?

calilifestyle
05-14-2010, 01:49 PM
well if they haven't had an event/s yet. i would be a bit peeved over that. I'm surprised they haven't sent out some kind of shirt yet.
They did say VIP events right. events as in more then one, correct. so how is that going.

Philbert
05-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I guessed that "VIP Events" referred to the annual NewTek party that normally takes place during Siggraph. They usually have a VIP room.

oliversimonnet
05-14-2010, 03:10 PM
calilifestyle: mm wen we join i wonder wen we get the t shirt (tsall about the t shirt lol)
if we pay the 1st year and (for example) tere were no events and we cant pay the 2nd year
and in the 2nd year there is an event do we get invited?

Philbert: mm were is the siggragh? i have seen a video on the 9.5 siggragh and it lookes interestin :)

hrgiger
05-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Philbert

As a hardcore member I can answer your questions definitively.

Yes, no matter what you get CORE when it's released if you buy in at $495 or $895 for a new license(membership). It's basically a pre-buy with an open beta included.

Nothing has changed as far as CORE goes with this recent announcement. CORE is still the Lightwave application that at some point will become a single unified application and replace and extend the functionality of Lightwave 9.6. The only thing that has changed is they wish to bring more functionality to current Lightwave until CORE can stand on it's own. So in other words, they want to support both current users of Lightwave by adding more features as well as those who are looking to the future with CORE.

oliversimonnet
05-14-2010, 04:39 PM
aaa ok cool cool
so ts all good then :)

thanx

hrgiger
05-14-2010, 05:19 PM
and if any one can tell me if:

"HardCORE annual membership for $495." does that mean we hafto give them $495 every year if we want to stay as a member?

thank you in advance :)

Well, currently the memberships that we bought last year are being extended until CORE ships. But yes, if we want another membership for the next cycle, we have to buy in again. Those of us who bought in early at $395 are guaranteed the same price for next cycle.

Try not to confuse the membership as a subscription. Your software does not stop working or anything like that. Think of it as a pre-buy of the software. Every time you buy a membership, you are going to receive a full version of the final software.

And yes, it's all good.

I understand Colkai's reason for leaving the CORE membership. It's not for everyone, especially at this early stage of CORE. But rest assured, modeling in CORE is receiving its due attention. As was pointed out in this months newsletters, work on the selection system and deformers (which you can now think of as both a modeling and animation tool) is being done.

Nemoid
05-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Philbert

As a hardcore member I can answer your questions definitively.

Yes, no matter what you get CORE when it's released if you buy in at $495 or $895 for a new license(membership). It's basically a pre-buy with an open beta included.

Nothing has changed as far as CORE goes with this recent announcement. CORE is still the Lightwave application that at some point will become a single unified application and replace and extend the functionality of Lightwave 9.6. The only thing that has changed is they wish to bring more functionality to current Lightwave until CORE can stand on it's own. So in other words, they want to support both current users of Lightwave by adding more features as well as those who are looking to the future with CORE.

So we will see something like Lw 9.7 or further versions ?

OnlineRender
05-15-2010, 12:50 AM
The T-Shirt should say , " I Bought Core , and I had to make my own T-shirt "

oh bit of a double negative but " meh"

Again another Marketing BS strategy that co-insides with Core

I fail to see how they can deliver on a new App , when they can't even post a t-shirt out !

gristle
05-15-2010, 01:21 AM

I fail to see how they can deliver on a new App , when they can't even post a t-shirt out !

Hard case!! Is that true? You'd thought they would get that out ok, it seems a bit easier than developing a new app!

littlewaves
05-15-2010, 01:39 AM

This just in from Newtek Marketing Dept;

"as Shirt-Core members will already know development of the T-shirt is going really well! We've already chosen the colour (buy a membership to find out which one we picked!) and we've also just sewn in the laundry instructions (subject to change).

In the next few months we'll be adding sleeves and seams and all the things it needs to be a 'companion' to your existing wardrobe which we'd like to remind you still has all the great clothes you've come to know and love."

oliversimonnet
05-15-2010, 03:05 AM
This just in from Newtek Marketing Dept;

"as Shirt-Core members will already know development of the T-shirt is going really well! We've already chosen the colour (buy a membership to find out which one we picked!) and we've also just sewn in the laundry instructions (subject to change).

In the next few months we'll be adding sleeves and seams and all the things it needs to be a 'companion' to your existing wardrobe which we'd like to remind you still has all the great clothes you've come to know and love."

mmm well at least now we no they are at least working on it :)
so hopefully we will get it in the end lol :)

oliversimonnet
05-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Well, currently the memberships that we bought last year are being extended until CORE ships. But yes, if we want another membership for the next cycle, we have to buy in again. Those of us who bought in early at $395 are guaranteed the same price for next cycle.

Try not to confuse the membership as a subscription. Your software does not stop working or anything like that. Think of it as a pre-buy of the software. Every time you buy a membership, you are going to receive a full version of the final software.

And yes, it's all good.

I understand Colkai's reason for leaving the CORE membership. It's not for everyone, especially at this early stage of CORE. But rest assured, modeling in CORE is receiving its due attention. As was pointed out in this months newsletters, work on the selection system and deformers (which you can now think of as both a modeling and animation tool) is being done.

what about the people who got a free 12 month core membership?

hrgiger
05-15-2010, 04:18 AM
what about the people who got a free 12 month core membership?

Who got a free 12 month CORE membership? Do you mean those who bought the plug-in Fiber Factor IV before it was brought into LW? Every membership is being extended as far as I'm aware. The 12 month thing doesn't exist at least as far as this first version. Don't know if it will be a year membership for the next time, but the same still applies, you will get the final version either way.

Who cares about a T-shirt? They never said when they would deliver it during the membership period. But maybe if enough people cry hard enough about it, Newtek will send you the T-shirt to dry your eyes. Wah.

hrgiger
05-15-2010, 04:32 AM
So we will see something like Lw 9.7 or further versions ?

9.6.1 which is still in beta will be the last of the 9.x series. The good news is that it's supposed to see some FiberFx fixes.

New features will be part of the CORE/LWHC bundle whatever that ends up being called.

oliversimonnet
05-15-2010, 04:46 AM
Who got a free 12 month CORE membership? Do you mean those who bought the plug-in Fiber Factor IV before it was brought into LW? Every membership is being extended as far as I'm aware. The 12 month thing doesn't exist at least as far as this first version. Don't know if it will be a year membership for the next time, but the same still applies, you will get the final version either way.

Who cares about a T-shirt? They never said when they would deliver it during the membership period. But maybe if enough people cry hard enough about it, Newtek will send you the T-shirt to dry your eyes. Wah.

ye here http://shop.newtek.com/lightwavev9fullwithprintedmanuals.aspx
the people who buy LW v9 get you: "This product includes a free one year membership to the HardCORE program"

and also here u get a free core membership to: http://www.refuelled.com/lightwave-3d-96-hardcore-subscription-macwin-p-4463.html
well at least i think you do lol :)

or maybe its not free its included in the price :)

hehe im not crying for the t-shirt lol :)

hrgiger
05-15-2010, 04:49 AM
Yes, the memberships are all the same.

oliversimonnet
05-15-2010, 04:54 AM
aaa ok cool cool :)

hrgiger
05-15-2010, 05:07 AM
aaa ok cool cool :)

Actually now that I think of it, the memberships bought now I'm not so sure of. They are extending everyones membership to the release of CORE but if your membership was already going to extend beyond that (like if you bought one now and CORE releases in the next 6 months or so), then it might run out at 12 months like they intended.

oliversimonnet
05-15-2010, 05:16 AM
Actually now that I think of it, the memberships bought now I'm not so sure of. They are extending everyones membership to the release of CORE but if your membership was already going to extend beyond that (like if you bought one now and CORE releases in the next 6 months or so), then it might run out at 12 months like they intended.

mmm
i haven't got my membership yet m going to subscribe in a few days
so do you think mine will last till they release it?

DBMiller
05-15-2010, 06:08 AM
And don't forget, not only does the software not stop working at the end of a year, you DON'T have to pay every year. You can upgrade to the newest build anytime, without penalty. I've heard there are subscriptions that require you to update every year, not with Core.

oliversimonnet
05-15-2010, 06:17 AM
what do you mean buy "ot only does the software not stop working at the end of a year" ?

Philbert
05-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Some other 3D packages stop working if you don't pay for a new license each year, so it's really more like you're renting the software, rather than buying it.

Kuzey
05-15-2010, 06:26 AM
It means, you will get core1 and it will still work after your subscription ends. So...it's like a normal upgrade, if you don't want to upgrade to Core2, but wait for Core 4....your version of Core will still work. You are not forced into upgrading each year.

Kuzey

Kuzey
05-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Beaten by Phil :D

I would wait a bit before upgrading.

Just until you find out what is going to happen with the future of Core, now that Jay has gone etc.

Kuzey

Philbert
05-15-2010, 06:39 AM
I still find it very hard to believe you would ever not get the gold master release. To my knowledge that's what you're paying for. HC is a bonus, not the other way around.

oliversimonnet
05-15-2010, 06:50 AM
It means, you will get core1 and it will still work after your subscription ends. So...it's like a normal upgrade, if you don't want to upgrade to Core2, but wait for Core 4....your version of Core will still work. You are not forced into upgrading each year.

Kuzey

aaa ok ok cool .

oliversimonnet
05-15-2010, 08:54 AM
I still find it very hard to believe you would ever not get the gold master release. To my knowledge that's what you're paying for. HC is a bonus, not the other way around.

what is the "gold master release" what is that like a special edition that only people who are core members get ?

Nemoid
05-15-2010, 10:00 AM
9.6.1 which is still in beta will be the last of the 9.x series. The good news is that it's supposed to see some FiberFx fixes.

New features will be part of the CORE/LWHC bundle whatever that ends up being called.

ok now it's more clear.
I was asking mainly because updating old modeler and layout with features coming from CORE wouldn't be possible or very diffiult to make, while it make total sense for LW HC. :thumbsup:

Kuzey
05-15-2010, 11:31 AM
what is the "gold master release" what is that like a special edition that only people who are core members get ?

:D

The "gold master release" is the final version...that is, it's out of beta and no more development will take place. Everyone gets the same copy from the same master, and then Newtek can start work on the next version..Core2 etc.

Something like that.

Kuzey

oliversimonnet
05-15-2010, 02:04 PM
aaa ok cool cool

hrgiger
05-15-2010, 03:26 PM

Good, someone gets it.