PDA

View Full Version : VT Configuration: Is this enough?

svbell
09-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Hi folks!
Just prior to place an order to my constructor for a VT[3] workstation, I want to check the configuration he recommended me is fair:

VT[3] edition for LightWave users
5x SCSI 36GB 10k (1 system disk and 4 video disks)
SuperMicro dual Xeon board
2x Xeon 2.4Ghz
512MB ECC reg.
FireWire IEEE1394 card
450W rackmout case

To save a bit of money, as I am on a tight budget, I provide stuff I already have:

LeadTek AGP video card
Pioneer A06 DVD recorder
Adaptec PCI SCSI card
3.5" floppy

I am editing feature films, 90 minutes running time. The 4x 36GB will be small to store all that, so I already expect to be forced to work with slightly compressed files, which is no big deal as long as I stay broadcast quality.

So does that configuration sounds OK? Could I still work if I ask only a single CPU instead of 2? Is 512MB enough to work?
Thanks for any advice!

sv

robewil
09-12-2003, 11:34 AM
You didn't specify which Adaptec SCSI card you have. You want a U160 or U320 capable card. On the same note, you don't indicate whether your drives are U160 or U320.

512MB is adequate. Just be careful not to run too many modules at once. I would consider upgrading to 1GB.

What Leadtek AGP card do you have. If it has an NVidia Ge-Force chipset, then you should be fine. Otherwise, it would be wise to find at least a cheap NVidia Ge-Force card of some sort.

svbell
09-12-2003, 11:50 AM
The SCSI card I have came with the JAZ 1GB I bought several years ago. Basically this card will only have a ZIP 100MB, a JAZ 1GB and a flatbed on it.

The video drives are U320.

By saying 'Too many modules' you means not to run the Toaster capture, Speed Razor and Photoshop, as an example?... As long as I can run Speed Razor without swapping over and over, I can live with it.

The LeadTek card I have is, again, an old one, first generation. A WinFast L1215 or something like that.

sv

robewil
09-12-2003, 02:00 PM
The SCSI card I have came with the JAZ 1GB I bought several years ago. Basically this card will only have a ZIP 100MB, a JAZ 1GB and a flatbed on it.
This is not going to be suitable for VT3 and your U320 drives. You probably won't get anywhere near the speed the drives are capable of or what VT3 needs. Find an Adaptec 39160 on ebay, don't compromise on this.

By saying 'Too many modules' you means not to run the Toaster capture, Speed Razor and Photoshop, as an example?... As long as I can run Speed Razor without swapping over and over, I can live with it.
That's more or less what I mean although I'm curious why you want to run Speed Razor. Personally, I love VT-Edit 3.

The LeadTek card I have is, again, an old one, first generation. A WinFast L1215 or something like that.

No, get a card with a Ge-Force chipset. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest. Personally, I have a Ge-Force 2 and VT3 works very well with it.

svbell
09-12-2003, 02:26 PM
This is not going to be suitable for VT3 and your U320 drives. You probably won't get anywhere near the speed the drives are capable of or what VT3 needs. Find an Adaptec 39160 on ebay, don't compromise on this.

I don't plan on using that SCSI card for video edit. Just to scan and archive files on the JAZ / ZIP. I can understand it wouldn't sustain the data rate the Toaster digs up...!! But if the presence of the SCSI card messes the Toaster, I will scan / archive on another workstation, that's all....

That's more or less what I mean although I'm curious why you want to run Speed Razor. Personally, I love VT-Edit 3.

Hey SR is what I know best so far, and I bought a bunch of plug-ins for it too. But be sure I will take a deep look at VT-Edit, it sure sounds very interesting

I will check what I will do for the GE-Force. If I can get a killer deal I will step to it for sure........

sv

robewil
09-12-2003, 02:48 PM
So if I understand you correctly, you are going to connect your 5 SCSI drives to a separate adapter. You should not have any problems there. To save a slot though, you might want to connect everything to the U320 adapter.

svbell
09-12-2003, 02:58 PM
you are going to connect your 5 SCSI drives to a separate adapter

I thought the Toaster was a SCSI controller itself...? That the video drives were plugged into the Toaster card? My constructor didn't mention the need of a SCSI adapter. OR, the drives are connected to the SuperMicro motherboard, onboard SCSI controller, I think this is it.... that would make sense, I'll double check! :rolleyes:

sv

robewil
09-12-2003, 03:15 PM
No, the Toaster (VT now) is not a SCSI adapter. If your SCSI drives are to be connected to the motherboard, better find out what built-in SCSI adapter it has.

I know the advantage of a dual XEON motherboard is that it has a 64 bit PCI slot to install a 64 bit SCSI adapter (like the Adaptec 39160). This configuration frees up PCI bandwith for the VT card and allows better performance.