PDA

View Full Version : Yet More Motion Mixer Headaches

WShawn
05-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi:

Motion Mixer appears to be corrupting part of an animation that uses some simple expressions I created in the graph editor. It looks like MM is simply ignoring the expressions. Any thoughts as to why?

I've created a 120 frame loop of a woman doing a squat-type exercise that I want to loop. Part of the routine has her throwing her arms over her head. I had a heck of a time trying to get that move to look acceptable, so when I got the right arm working I used some simple expressions in the graph editor to translate the bone rotations on the right arm to the corresponding bones on the left arm. This all works fine as set up. But when I bring the model and bones into Motion Mixer, create the 120 frame motion and drop that into the MM timeline the left arm ignores those expressions. My assumption is that there's something going wrong with the expressions in MM. Do expressions have to be manually enabled in an XChannel or something? I'm not seeing anything about expressions if I select XChannels (I do see some morphs and IK/FK Blending items I have, though.)

I suppose I could bake the left arm, but that would make tweaks a hassle. Is there a better way to make the left arm mirror the right arm that will work in Motion Mixer?

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

WShawn
05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
I guess this has been discussed before.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337&highlight=motion+mixer

Maybe it's a syntax issue. If I deactivate the left arm bones in MM they behave properly for the initial 120 frames but don't loop when specified in MM. Obviously MM doesn't talk to the main layout section.

I'll keep playing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

WShawn
05-14-2010, 12:13 PM
I was wrong. Deactivating the left arm in MM doesn't make it work. I'd just left the channels activated after editing the MM motion, so it was just playing off the keyframes in the normal timeline, not MM.