PDA

View Full Version : Any one bought an ipad?

stevecullum
05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I decided to buy one, not sure why yet - somehow got seduced by the marketing and had a moment of weakness! :)

Just wondering if anyone has found any artist worthy apps to download?

cresshead
05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
is it out in the UK yet?

having seen, reviews and video's on the ipad...i have no "urge" to get one...
on spec's listed i'm not wow'd by it...

BUT

i reserve ultimate judgement on it until i have one in my hands to try it out.

jasonwestmas
05-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Heck no, I'm getting a windows based lappy top with 4G. They are waaayyy more worth the price.

Andyjaggy
05-13-2010, 02:44 PM
What amazeds me is the amount of people who, just like you, have bought one and don't even know why.

A testament to the power of Apples marketing.

Matt
05-13-2010, 02:55 PM
is it out in the UK yet?

28 May they arrive on our shores.

I was tempted to get one for presentations, but not being able to simply plug it into my PC and transfer files to it for viewing has put me off.

I'm sure there are ways around it, but if it's anything like the iPhone (don't have one of those either) then you can't easily transfer files to it's 'disk' and load them up in an app, which to me is a massive mistake for the iPad, would have been really useful otherwise.

calilifestyle
05-13-2010, 03:04 PM
DropBox.
btw i don't have one. I really don"t see the need. I'm perfectly happy with my laptop or desktop. When on the move my nexus one does the job. If anything i really do want one of those net books with the ion chip set.

gordonrobb
05-13-2010, 03:04 PM
I have an iPhone and have an Office app that easily lets me transfer files from my PC and view, edit or create on the iPhone, so I guess there will be ones for the iPad.

stevecullum
05-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah Drop Box or there this a free upnp app that will hook up with my NAS drive for music and movies.

I will have to see if its been worth the £££'s after I've had it for a bit. The user experience seems pretty slick and the sketchpad pro app looks like fun. Just got to wait for delivery on the 28th :)

shrox
05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
No!

realgray
05-13-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm kinda liking the new alienware for presentations. It has an HDMI out for connection to external monitors and TV's

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/alienware-m11x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

stevecullum
05-14-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm kinda liking the new alienware for presentations. It has an HDMI out for connection to external monitors and TV's

I don't see the ipad as a laptop replacement, but more of a quick, grab and go product for reading the news or forums, using as a magazine reader etc... I'm intending to buy a new laptop with enough grunt to use for 3d and as a render node, but the weight of those are around 3.0 kg, where as the ipad is about half a kilo. I'm sure a netbook would have been just as portable, but none of those had quite the same level of visual appeal to me.

warmiak
05-14-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't see the ipad as a laptop replacement, but more of a quick, grab and go product for reading the news or forums, using as a magazine reader etc...

This is exactly what I am using it for - no worries about running out of juice, having it plugged in etc ... ( obviously it does run out of juice eventually but generally I need to charge it only once a week)

shrox
05-14-2010, 09:36 AM
no what?

Did I buy an Ipad? No. I did not.

Hieron
05-14-2010, 10:15 AM

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/alienware-m11x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

I don't like the look that thing has at all, especially for presentations.
Got to say that, for presentations, anything with an Apple logo works out amazing. And now that my big *** HP laptop died on me *again*, I may go for a Mac. (yet, the Ipad is a wholly different category)

The Ipad looks nice, played a bit with it. I'll probably get one as it is sexy, light, great display and just generally quite nice to pop out to show work on. The lack of Flash sucks though... as we work with that as well.

Skonk
05-14-2010, 10:23 AM
They look nice and all that but I just dont see the point of such a large device that cant act as a computer on its own (in that you MUST have another "real" computer to connect it to, to transfer files to it).

If it was a stand-alone machine that didnt require another computer then i'd be much more temped.

stevecullum
05-14-2010, 10:48 AM
The Ipad looks nice, played a bit with it. I'll probably get one as it is sexy, light, great display and just generally quite nice to pop out to show work on. The lack of Flash sucks though... as we work with that as well.

I was wondering realistically, how much the lack of Flash support will actually effect things. It seems mainly adverts or the tv networks that are using it for their online material, but based on the number of sales Apple are claiming for the ipad, I'm sure it wont be long before apps start appearing from them. I know here in the UK iplayer currently isn't working, but the bbc are looking into it and Sky is apparently 'excited' by the possibilities the ipad offers.

If it was a stand-alone machine that didnt require another computer then i'd be much more temped.

I too was thinking about this, but if I'm web surfing, reading ibooks and listening to tunes from my NAS drive, I'm trying to think exactly what files I would be needing to transfer regularly? What did I overlook :question:

realgray
05-14-2010, 10:52 AM
I love the look of the Ipad. I spent a good 30 min on one at Best Buy. The trouble was I found that half of all the websites I visit didn't work properly and many more were simply mobile versions (throttled mobile youtube). I think I'll wait for the second generation when this flash war subsides and google/LG/HP have all had their shot.

realgray
05-14-2010, 11:02 AM
I found this interesting. I really wanted to be able to watch shows on the Ipad

Hulu improves its player, commits to Flash
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20004969-248.html

stevecullum
05-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I found this interesting. I really wanted to be able to watch shows on the Ipad

I do find Apple's aversion to Flash mysterious. However, if there is sufficient demand then I pretty sure apps will appear for Hulu etc... Just going to take a bit of time.

cresshead
05-14-2010, 11:39 AM
ipad app's are my main interest..some of the musical instruments like korg's electrotibe look good indicator of what cool stuff may show up on the ipad

http://www.korg.com/uploads/Images/iELECTRIBE_for_iPad_main_634060554491960000.png

and this...though the voiceover is rubbish in the extreme! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKu6vKlwDEU&feature=youtube_gdata

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rScBRKlTdoE/S6ApgG-tJEI/AAAAAAAA1to/l-MsdWtc92k/s1600/reason%2Bipad.jpg

ipad for the internet is near usless for me...my site has flash so not being able to see even my own site is just not good enough in 2010.

ipad as a mobile storage device is a non starter but we have 16gig usb keys really cheap anyway.

sketchbook pro on ipad too looks good
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sketchbook-pro/id364253478?mt=8

http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/031/Purple/80/2f/a7/mzl.xxirokay.480x480-75.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/04/340x_sketchbookpro2.jpg

no camera...shame...version 2 maybe?

geo_n
05-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Its no surprise that Ipad is doing well here. The lines are very long. Apple is a religion :D
http://asiajin.com/blog/2010/05/11/softbank-starts-ipad-pre-sales-docomo-gives-up-to-provide-sim-for-ipad-users/
One of my boss got lucky to get a unit.

stevecullum
05-14-2010, 11:51 AM
no camera...shame...version 2 maybe?

Can't exactly see myself wondering around taking happy snaps with an ipad!

Maybe for video calls it would have been useful, but I've never really embraced that idea anyway.

Those music apps look great though! :rock:

calilifestyle
05-14-2010, 11:54 AM
btw on my nexus one i can watch flash video. well not all flash but i can now check out most sites using skyfire web browser. Maybe they will make this available on the ipad.

btw again, i wouldn't use Skyfire to head to any ssl sites, or any other none native web browser.

stevecullum
05-14-2010, 12:21 PM
If I really need Flash, there is always this option...

http://gizmodo.com/5508794/video-windows-7-on-the-ipad

jasonwestmas
05-14-2010, 01:02 PM
If I really need Flash, there is always this option...

http://gizmodo.com/5508794/video-windows-7-on-the-ipad

Having an actual OS on there definitely helps. :)

JohnMarchant
05-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Never really brought into the Apple hype, the iphone was not that good and very underpowered, well v 1 was anyway, no interest in the iPad what so ever.

RonGC
05-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Their not out until the end of may in canada, but i am getting one specifically to run Brushes and Sketchbook pro on, own the ipod touch versions and they are great.

It will also come in handy for Coaching my speed skating athletes as i can run video and photo analysis with the athletes on a good sized screen which is easy to pack around. As well as demonstration animations for skill development which i make.

As for getting files onto the Ipad there are a lot of good apps that make this extremely easy, i already own them for my ipod touch and they work extremely well, they have been updated for ipad so i foresee no problems.

The Ipad is a tool that you need to have a purpose for, and i can see a major usage on my part. No need to trash the unit it is what it is, nothing more.

Ron

Kuzey
05-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Anybody have a spare £129,995.00 for the gold iPad (http://stuarthughes.com/newdawn/product_info.php?products_id=85)

Oh....the horror.

I'm waiting for the one with a front facing camera.

Kuzey

bjornkn
05-14-2010, 02:12 PM
I will never buy an iPad or any other gadget from a company that wants to control everything, tells me that I don't need Flash, multitasking etc, and forces me to get all software from a censored appstore that requires every program to be made with Apple tools. From what I have seen iPad is not a PC, not a phone and not an eReader - and too big to put in your pocket. So what is it? A bloated PDA? Any cheap Windows/Linux netbook would be a much better choice, much better value for your money, and allow you to choose yourself if you want to "drain your battery" by viewing Flash. I'm really happy that Apple is still small compared to the rest of the computing world. I hate being told what I want to do!

stevecullum
05-14-2010, 03:27 PM
As for getting files onto the Ipad there are a lot of good apps that make this extremely easy, i already own them for my ipod touch and they work extremely well, they have been updated for ipad so i foresee no problems.

What is one you recommend?

RonGC
05-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Good reader is one i use a lot and now has a direct usb transfer to ipad as well as wifi. Good reader is also an excellent pdf reader and i use it for reading ebooks.

Another good one is mover+ with the free mover connect app running on your computer.

Both of these work with no hitches and easily move excel, word, pdf, photos, video etc back and forth from ipod touch to computer and are set to go for ipad as well.

Ron

stevecullum
05-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks Ron - I'll check those out. :)

Darth Mole
05-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi Steve. Pre-ordered a few days ago. We've had a few US units in the office and, despite my initial reservations, it really did a job on me, and I just had to have one. It'll be for web surfing, games and iPlayer over WiFi - I think it's ideal to have sat on the coffee table (the missus can use the laptop). Also, I get a sort of perverse pleasure knowing how much hatred this Apple device has garnered; if my wilfully novelty purchase grinds the gears of some obtuse Apple-hater, then great. I might order two...

But seriously: Angry Birds HD. Awesome.

jasonwestmas
05-14-2010, 06:28 PM
It'll be for web surfing, games and iPlayer over WiFi - I think it's ideal to have sat on the coffee table (the missus can use the laptop).

A coffee table piece lol. I can't see a more casual way to be about a computerized piece of hardware.

stevecullum
05-15-2010, 11:21 AM
We've had a few US units in the office and, despite my initial reservations, it really did a job on me, and I just had to have one.

There is a whole bunch of people in my office that have questioned my sanity over this purchase. But I think once they have seen, touched and experienced it, they will be looking to buy one themselves ;)

Skonk
05-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I was wondering realistically, how much the lack of Flash support will actually effect things. It seems mainly adverts or the tv networks that are using it for their online material, but based on the number of sales Apple are claiming for the ipad, I'm sure it wont be long before apps start appearing from them. I know here in the UK iplayer currently isn't working, but the bbc are looking into it and Sky is apparently 'excited' by the possibilities the ipad offers.

I too was thinking about this, but if I'm web surfing, reading ibooks and listening to tunes from my NAS drive, I'm trying to think exactly what files I would be needing to transfer regularly? What did I overlook :question:

Will the iPad stream music from a NAS?

stevecullum
05-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Will the iPad stream music from a NAS?

According to this it does...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/upnp-peek/id338294909?mt=8

stevecullum
05-15-2010, 12:49 PM
This looks good too!

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/air-video-watch-your-videos/id306550020?mt=8

aurora
05-15-2010, 03:49 PM
iPad, iPhone, iAnything = EVIL!!!!!
I was only relgious about a couple things, NVidia over ATI or anything else, OGL over DX now I'm totally 100% anti-i!!!!
Why, same reason as a couple others hit on. Why the living hell would I ever pay to publish an app to someones product. Why would I allow them a percentage of my work, why should I have their adverts in my products with them making money off me? Why would I work with a system wherein I need to use Jailbreaker to get a code, which they claim does not exist, to get the functionality I need? I could go on for a while but will be semi nice and just restate EeeeVvvvvIiiiiiiiiLlllllllll!

RonGC
05-15-2010, 04:23 PM
iPad, iPhone, iAnything = EVIL!!!!!
I was only relgious about a couple things, NVidia over ATI or anything else, OGL over DX now I'm totally 100% anti-i!!!!
Why, same reason as a couple others hit on. Why the living hell would I ever pay to publish an app to someones product. Why would I allow them a percentage of my work, why should I have their adverts in my products with them making money off me? Why would I work with a system wherein I need to use Jailbreaker to get a code, which they claim does not exist, to get the functionality I need? I could go on for a while but will be semi nice and just restate EeeeVvvvvIiiiiiiiiLlllllllll!

Pangea Software’s Brian Greenstone has written Mac games for more than two decades, but with $5 million in revenue this year alone, he may now focus his attention on iPhone. “In the last four and a half months we’ve made as much money off the retail sales of iPhone apps as we’ve made with retail sales of all of the apps that we’ve made in the past 21 years—combined.”

Maybe this might be why!:)

Ron

Puguglybonehead
05-15-2010, 04:25 PM
An iPod Touch is something I've long considered getting. (seems to be a lot of free WiFi here in T.O., as far as my MacMini's AirPort card seems to find) But the iPad just seems like a maxi version of the iPod Touch. What does it do so well that the iPod doesn't? (other than be larger and more $$) Will we see any stripped-down 3d apps for it or anything?

stevecullum
05-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Why the living hell would I ever pay to publish an app to someones product.

A good question, but better answered by one of the 150,000+ iphone OS developers out there. Money, I suspect is the top answer - some developers have made millions (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/other-phones/app-store-millionaires-share-their-secrets-524586) and because you can produce some cool looking apps...

aurora
05-15-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm not saying there's not money to be made. I'm just saying that the whole business model around iPhone development is just sick and wrong. Its kind of like the psychic that was arrested this past week that told her customers that money was evil so give it to her so she can remove the evil from it and cleanse your soul. Its amazing how much money she made from so many people that fell for it.

I guess what this really proves is going back to school and having to work in a Linux environment for so long has finally corrupted my way of thinking.

RonGC
05-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Its all about making money, its business not altruism. Capitalism in action, otherwise whats the point?:D

Ron

jasonwestmas
05-15-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm not saying there's not money to be made. I'm just saying that the whole business model around iPhone development is just sick and wrong. Its kind of like the psychic that was arrested this past week that told her customers that money was evil so give it to her so she can remove the evil from it and cleanse your soul. Its amazing how much money she made from so many people that fell for it.

I guess what this really proves is going back to school and having to work in a Linux environment for so long has finally corrupted my way of thinking.

Don't forget the turtle neck shirts. :D I get people to fall for that one all the time. I slip one on and everything looks golden!

aurora
05-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Its all about making money, its business not altruism. Capitalism in action, otherwise whats the point?:D

Ron

It doesn't bother you that they outright lie even with the proof presented straight out about what is and is not in the code base. That they dictate what you can and can't do, beyond the norm. That they make money off your work.

OK, yes you can make the point, don't you pay money to buy a API/SDK to build your code off of? Yes, yes I do, I freely admit that I do it all the time. But there's a limit to what I deem correct behavior. I don't know maybe I'm just in a really tired and cranky mood this year. I seem to be starting to sound/act like some of the people I loathe and despise. So off to get some food and open LW to do my first personal work this year. That should put me back in a better mood and mind.

stevecullum
05-15-2010, 05:50 PM
That they dictate what you can and can't do, beyond the norm. That they make money off your work.

Apple have invested their money in creating an infrastructure for keen developers to tap into and giving them a way to reach millions of potential customers. That kind of assistance, isn't going to be free of charge, so I suspect most app developers are willing to swallow the fees in exchange for a busy market place to sell their wares.

Kuzey
05-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Apparently, people can make a bundle selling their apps for 99cents or more....even with Apples cut.

Speaking of which, an email encounter (http://gawker.com/5539717/) with Steve Jobs :D

Kuzey

akademus
05-16-2010, 05:25 AM
We've got one. It's a silly thing, too big for Ipod, to small to be usable.

It's good for showing work to clients, though...

bjornkn
05-16-2010, 05:45 AM
I think the main reason for many people for getting one is to show off? It is still trendy to flash that half-eaten fruit, to show that you're at the leading edge.
It is quite funny/strange that the Apple/Jobs monopoly/censorship/dictatorship policy is so strongly applauded in a country where about 50% would not want health care for everyone because it was against the Constitution and an attack against the freedom to choose.
Where are the NRA or other constitutional defenders now? Is this iPad thing on the agenda of the Tea party movement?
It's also sad to see that so many companies and individuals are following Jobs pipe, obey to his rules and start writing parallel non-Flash apps for the iPad.
It feels like the net world suddenly went 5 years backwards, where every web page had to be written with a lot of "if's" for the various browsers, and at the same time the gap/bridge to the brave new html5 world got 5 years wider too.

jasonwestmas
05-16-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm probably more annoyed by the apple promotion of self-indulgent technologies through watering down software in general to make online shopping and wasting time even easier than it is now. I mean seriously, what other money making schemes could the ipad be good for.

Or am I looking at this totally wrong and the ipad is actually intended to be baby food for the people who fear more mentally challenging hardware and software that is far more useful.

stevecullum
05-16-2010, 12:31 PM
This guy's, two part review of the ipad sums up why I want one...

http://www.vimeo.com/doubledrop

Pretty much confirms how this thing will fit into my home life. :)

bjornkn
05-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Pretty much sums up why I don't want one too ;)
If he gets that blinded by that toy that he couldn't find any other cons than that it attracted fingerprints on the screen I would rather not lose my eyesight like that - and integrity.

cresshead
05-16-2010, 03:07 PM
This guy's, two part review of the ipad sums up why I want one...

http://www.vimeo.com/doubledrop

Pretty much confirms how this thing will fit into my home life. :)

i'll still have to have a go on one before i fully come down on it one way or another but it has quite a few gottchas...like it's 1 handed device or you have to lay it flat on it's back like an upturned turtle to type on it

granted if your wandering around your house and want the net 'on tap' [scuse the awful punn!] then it's a step up from a iphone or android...but you'll need big pockets and a taser gun to take it out of the house with some hope of using it in public without being mugged and coming home ipad-less.

as for checking and replying to emails in the house..i just unsleep my laptop and do that within 10 seconds or so..no big deal really.

magazines?...don;t really buy them anymore much except for the £1 past date ones on the market on occassion.

newspapers?....website news...free...dropped buying newspapers about 5 years ago or more...the ipad replaces something i don't do at all in that regard.

books...we'll see...does it read to you like the Kindle? can you use it/read it in direct sunlight?

as i said before this thing breathes on the APP STORE...if there's a few apps you love for it then it'll be high on your list.

danielkaiser
05-16-2010, 06:48 PM
I'd buy one but I'm not sure how absorbent they are.

Apple why 2010 is starting to look a lot like 1984.

Andyjaggy
05-17-2010, 08:00 AM
We've got one. It's a silly thing, too big for Ipod, to small to be usable.

It's good for showing work to clients, though...

Yeah it's fantastic as a presentation tool. Our sales guys use it for just that. Other than that though, I have no use for the thing.

warmiak
05-17-2010, 10:38 AM
I think the main reason for many people for getting one is to show off? It is still trendy to flash that half-eaten fruit, to show that you're at the leading edge.
It is quite funny/strange that the Apple/Jobs monopoly/censorship/dictatorship policy is so strongly applauded in a country where about 50% would not want health care for everyone because it was against the Constitution and an attack against the freedom to choose.
Where are the NRA or other constitutional defenders now? Is this iPad thing on the agenda of the Tea party movement?
It's also sad to see that so many companies and individuals are following Jobs pipe, obey to his rules and start writing parallel non-Flash apps for the iPad.
It feels like the net world suddenly went 5 years backwards, where every web page had to be written with a lot of "if's" for the various browsers, and at the same time the gap/bridge to the brave new html5 world got 5 years wider too.

What in the world are you talking about ... ? What does the Constitution have anything to do with a private company selling their product/services to people who are willing to participate/buy their products ...
You have the right to liberty not to write code for Apple's iPad using Flash or .net or whatever ....

warmiak
05-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Or am I looking at this totally wrong and the ipad is actually intended to be baby food for the people who fear more mentally challenging hardware and software that is far more useful.

It is much simpler than that .. .it makes for great web browsing while you enjoy your quiet moments ( or 30 minutes) taking a toilet break.

pooby
05-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Its funny how, not only you, but lots of people like to imply that because someone might buy an Ipad, that means they are doing it at the expense of using more challenging hardware and software. They have to choose one or the other.

I think the reality is, that its more pleasant when you are at home to just grab something book sized to surf the internet to check mail instead of balancing and hunching over a laptop or sitting at a desk and its nice to have something that switches on instantly and doesnt need to boot up.
I'd quite like one, and I certainly dont think I'm fearful of 'challening hardware' or 'software for that matter'.

warmiak
05-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Its funny how, not only you, but lots of people like to imply that because someone might buy an Ipad, that means they are doing it at the expense of using more challenging hardware and software. They have to choose one or the other.

I think the reality is, that its more pleasant when you are at home to just grab something book sized to surf the internet to check mail instead of balancing and hunching over a laptop or sitting at a desk and its nice to have something that switches on instantly and doesnt need to boot up.
I'd quite like one, and I certainly dont think I'm fearful of 'challening hardware' or 'software for that matter'.

Well, if he looks at it that way, then one could make an argument that today's PCs are nothing but baby food for people who cannot handle terminals and a mainframe style computing :-)

jasonwestmas
05-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Okay, that's a reasonable response but I think we know what apple is really doing and what they are mostly promoting. I'm talking mostly about the thinking that is going on behind the scenes. They are mostly promoting controlled forms of consumerism. There is nothing wrong with that but they really don't seem to look beyond that these days. That's why I'm annoyed with apple. I'm being sour because I used to really like apple's software and mission for creating graphics software. Instead apple uses a great deal of their resources to make an easy process that can be done with a laptop even easier and create more reasons to carry around gadgets. It's a balance that is thrown waaay the heck off. As a side effect people get sucked into this trendy way of consuming and consuming more, faster and easier than ever before. I want more tools from them and I want to see more creative thought from consumers, not more ways to play around on the internet.

The way I see it the ipad is merely a remote controller to enable the user a more easy and casual way to browse and purchase stuff off the internet. It is a portable video game console and the game is to purchase material stuff anytime, anywhere. We already have this capability why does apple continue creating more ways to consume products instead of promoting useful and creative tools? It's just insulting every time this happens.

Lightwolf
05-17-2010, 02:10 PM
We already have this capability why does apple continue creating more ways to consume products instead of promoting useful and creative tools? It's just insulting every time this happens.
Because they make money that way, and tons of it. And just because it's not your pattern of consumption (nor mine) doesn't mean that there isn't a market for it.

Cheers,
Mike

jasonwestmas
05-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Because they make money that way, and tons of it. And just because it's not your pattern of consumption (nor mine) doesn't mean that there isn't a market for it.

Cheers,
Mike

Isn't that kind of like saying "I build rockets, write poetry and paint on a canvas because it gets me chicks and money".

Hieron
05-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Even if the couch potato is consuming the internet that way, not sure if that is necessarily worse than staring at the TV screen, being bombarded by ads of any possible nature. At least now he looks sexy and hip while doing it.

I appreciate a real book (got some nice old ones as well), not usually take the time to browse the inet on the couch or on the street (while casually popping out this fancy new toy).

But I would really like one for meetings with clients. Yes, partly because Apple is regarded as being cool and it will make me look better. But also because I just want to only carry around a (good) screen to show our material on without a bulky laptop/full scale keyboard etc. It is big enough to look nice and small enough to have around more often, thus chances of being able to demonstrate your work on the spot to the off chance run in with a possible client is higher.

Lightwolf
05-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Isn't that kind of like saying "I build rockets, write poetry and paint on a canvas because it gets me chicks and money".
More like: I found a way to get rich with a few strokes, and repeating them in different colours works even better now - just look at the progression of the consumer/consumption products.

Cheers,
Mike

jasonwestmas
05-17-2010, 04:10 PM
More like: I found a way to get rich with a few strokes, and repeating them in different colours works even better now - just look at the progression of the consumer/consumption products.

Cheers,
Mike

lol! mmm yeah that's kind of my point as well. The shallowness is in the pudding. Okay, if that's what people want.

Philbert
05-17-2010, 07:22 PM
I never liked apple in the past but when the iPhone came along I ended up getting one, as there was nothing really like it at the time. Unfortunately the hardware was junk, had to exchange it 3 times and wold have again but my year of service ran out. Also not happy at all with how locked down it is, how expensive the accessories are, and how controlling they are in general. Like obviously leaving out features from version 1, only to throw it into version 2. I see that half of the features in OS 4 will not be available in my phone, for no reason other than to get me to buy a new one. Just like there's no video recording in my iPhone even though it's certainly capable of it.

As for the ipad, I played with it in the store and wasn't very impressed. It felt just like the iPhone I already have, only bigger. I gave it a great big "meh". However I was really excited about the HP Slate (now maybe "Hurricane"). Though now that they might be putting Web OS on it instead of Win7 I'd be very disappointed and told them if they did that I wouldn't be getting one.

Riza
05-17-2010, 07:45 PM
webOS is much better than win7 imo...try it..

Philbert
05-17-2010, 08:20 PM
I find it very hard to believe a cell phone OS is even close to a full desktop OS.

Darth Mole
05-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Anyone see the Monaco F1 on BBC? One of the presenters had an iPad for his notes while interviewing - and also, one presumes, for updated information as it happens. Would like to have seen him juggle a laptop and a mic at the same time...

@jasonwestmas: "A coffee table piece lol. I can't see a more casual way to be about a computerized piece of hardware"

I totally don't see what point you're trying to make... lol

Riza
05-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Well, it depends on how people use a Pad, but I do believe I won't be using a Pad for full features work, just for browsing the net, email thingy, chat or something like that, a lightweight OS would be perfect...I'll pick a notebook with heavier firepower for full feature works with correct OS like win7...

Hieron
05-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Well, if you look at how busy people are twittering, spamming social network sites, seeing whatever someone is doing and where. I guess an Ipad makes perfect sense for that generation: access, everywhere.

A laptop is just too big, an Iphone too small. Tadaaa. Whether you like it or not.

Personally I would have preferred more of a choice and a more open oriented OS. But atm, there is none.

adamredwoods
05-24-2010, 12:07 AM
The iPad is really cool and does get rid of the need to fire up the laptop or desktop. It _really_ sits in your lap and you can play or surf whatever. It's a great idea executed well.

That said, it's overpriced and it runs under a heavily regulated system.

Okay, that's a reasonable response but I think we know what apple is really doing and what they are mostly promoting. I'm talking mostly about the thinking that is going on behind the scenes.

The company that controls HOW media is delivered to the consumer controls the future of the internet. Think of Apple as the biggest distributor of music (iTunes), games (iTouch), books (iPad). Now think of them when they decide what goes into the App store and what doesn't. Would that be an open-system or a closed-system?

SO to answer this thread's topic, I will not buy an iPad, but I will buy a competitor that offers something similar-- just to keep the control of media out of one single company's control (ESPECIALLY since the U.S. allows companies to donate to political parties. Media control + politics = ... ?).

cresshead
05-24-2010, 01:14 AM
ipad, iphone and ipod's are all hardware devices to get you funneled into the itunes and apps store to open up your wallet and spend some money.

they are just good enough [hardware] for most people to buy..and when the next new trick gets unlocked/added they buy the next hardware version and the old version gets handed down to a family member/friend or sold and so that cycle spreads and grows the userbase...abit like a virus!

apple seems to be getting out of the computer business and into the consumer business which is a much larger market.

apple are a business not a r & d lab...they are in it for making profit.

jasonwestmas
05-24-2010, 09:32 AM
ipad, iphone and ipod's are all hardware devices to get you funneled into the itunes and apps store to open up your wallet and spend some money.

they are just good enough [hardware] for most people to buy..and when the next new trick gets unlocked/added they buy the next hardware version and the old version gets handed down to a family member/friend or sold and so that cycle spreads and grows the userbase...abit like a virus!

apple seems to be getting out of the computer business and into the consumer business which is a much larger market.

Certainly appears so. Too bad apple couldn't look in other directions more often.

pooby
05-24-2010, 10:25 AM

I'm not going to suck up to apple or any other company for that matter, but what's this attitude of "Wise up, you naive fools. Hello, Company 'a' that makes product 'b' doesnt actually have any other motive to produce this product than making money"
What part of 'APPLE' or 'ANY OTHER COMPANY' are you talking about? I'm sure the design team behind the IPAD, IPOD etc surely get SOME satisfaction that isnt simply making money.

I want my company to make a profit. It doesnt then follow that I'm IN it for making profit.

Apple are an R & D lab AND a business.

Captain Obvious
05-24-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm probably going to get one. I'm going to spend most of 2011 on the road, and I want a portable computer, but I won't be needing a full-sized laptop. The iPad seems to fit the bill for what I need quite nicely.

Philbert
05-24-2010, 11:10 AM
As much as I hate apple's business practices, I am considering a slate type device. I really wanted that device to be the HP Slate (Hurricane) but it looks like that has been pushed back to October. That and the possibility that they may not release a Win7 version means I might wind up with an ipad. Not sure if i want to wait that long. If I do end up with one I want to find a way of doing it without giving my money to apple though.

Sonk
05-25-2010, 12:31 AM
stupid question but can i read PDF files on the ipad? i got alot of books in that format. Might get it for reading :)

cresshead
05-25-2010, 01:31 AM
stupid question but can i read PDF files on the ipad? i got alot of books in that format. Might get it for reading :)

You can read pdf file received as email attachments in mail app on ipad. However, direct pdf access is not supported. You need to convert pdf to epub file format for ebook style reading. Details here

http://www.tothepc.com/archives/read-pdf-files-on-ipad/
Source(s):

bjornkn
05-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Isn't it nice to see "progress" at work ? ;)
Pdf probably uses too much power too?

Philbert
05-25-2010, 05:57 AM
A possibility would be to jailbreak your iPad. I'm sure Cydia must have a PDF reader. The problem of converting is that I've never seen a converter that does a good job. Most of them don't recognize paragraphs so a whole book would be converted to one giant paragraph. I believe Stanza can do that but other formatting doesn't look right.

Riff_Masteroff
05-25-2010, 06:02 AM
at&t raises iphone prices

you pay what the market will bear. . . given the hype, that is bushels and gobs of money

http://netbookboards.com/2010/05/23/att-raises-termination-fee/

Philbert
05-25-2010, 07:30 AM
at&t raises iphone prices

you pay what the market will bear. . . given the hype, that is bushels and gobs of money

http://netbookboards.com/2010/05/23/att-raises-termination-fee/

To be fair, saying they're raising prices is a little misleading to anyone who doesn't click the link. They're raising the early termination fee, which still sucks, but for people like me who's contract is up or people who don't want to leave AT&T nothing changes.

Many people are speculating that this fee going up means iPhone might be soon available on another carrier and AT&T is afraid of losing customers.

Bill_Evans
05-25-2010, 07:59 AM
You can read pdf file received as email attachments in mail app on ipad. However, direct pdf access is not supported. You need to convert pdf to epub file format for ebook style reading. Details here

Source(s):

At least 3 apps that I've used read PDF quite nicely, personally I currently use Air Sharing and wirelessly download all my docs to my Ipod Touch all the time, so I have them wherever I go. The program works fine on the Ipad.
-Bill

bugzilla
05-25-2010, 08:42 AM
My iPad rocks. I take it with me everywhere. It's great or taking notes during the Monday meeting, then surfing the net during the rest of it. I also prop it up on a shelf and watch Youtube videos on it while doing the dishes. It's great for reading books while having lunch. It's good for gaming as well. I basically haven't booted my laptop since I got it. I'm married, so it doesn't matter to me now, but it is a chick magnet as well.

Kuzey
05-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Chick magnet...nice...hehe :)

Aussies are getting ready for the iPad (http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/ipad/despite-some-flaws-apples-ipad-sets-a-benchmark-20100525-wb9f.html?autostart=1) and Cresshead's question about using it in direct sunlight is answered :hey:

Kuzey

Bill_Evans
05-25-2010, 09:25 AM
The company that controls HOW media is delivered to the consumer controls the future of the internet. Think of Apple as the biggest distributor of music (iTunes), games (iTouch), books (iPad). Now think of them when they decide what goes into the App store and what doesn't. Would that be an open-system or a closed-system?

SO to answer this thread's topic, I will not buy an iPad, but I will buy a competitor that offers something similar-- just to keep the control of media out of one single company's control (ESPECIALLY since the U.S. allows companies to donate to political parties. Media control + politics = ... ?).

Sure apple is the largest distributer of Music, but despite me having literally weeks of legal music on my computer, I've bought exactly 2 albums from Itunes. The usual story on games is that the App store has more games then the other portable game systems PSP and Nintendo, both of those are really open systems (NOT), and Apple is at best #3 with books behind Amazon and Barnes and Noble (both of which you can use instead with there apps) or use one of the dozens of free or cheap apps to read books you already have. Even apples book app will let you read all of Gutenberg, thats more books then most will read in a lifetime, all free. Any of the competitors will have much if not all the same issues. Dell's new beast, is much smaller, going to cost the same and has far fewer things it can do. As for your political comment why do you believe that Unions and Companies should be treated differently from each other, which is the crux of the Supreme Court Decision you seem to be greatly bothered by.
-Tig

RonGC
05-25-2010, 01:22 PM

Get the app Good Reader from itunes, it is an excellent pdf reader as well as many other formats.
Can choose to read in text and picture or text only , portrait or landscape mode and remembers where you left off if you shut down the pad. Very battery efficient as well.

Ron

cresshead
05-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Get the app Good Reader from itunes, it is an excellent pdf reader as well as many other formats.
Can choose to read in text and picture or text only , portrait or landscape mode and remembers where you left off if you shut down the pad. Very battery efficient as well.

Ron

side by side does it look and format just like the PDF or is it just parseing the text and stacking in the picture any old how...

a PDF means that it looks the SAME on everything..do these translaters for pdf translate or transcribe 100% or 20%?

Kuzey
05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
side by side does it look and format just like the PDF or is it just parseing the text and stacking in the picture any old how...

a PDF means that it looks the SAME on everything..do these translaters for pdf translate or transcribe 100% or 20%?

I must say...it looks pretty good from the screen grabs I saw:

http://cdn.geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ipad_view_pdfs8-525x700.jpg

Kuzey

stevecullum
05-25-2010, 02:03 PM

Was also wondering about PDF's - thanks for the app suggestion, will be needing it soon :)

Philbert
05-25-2010, 02:20 PM
I must say, I downloaded Good Reader for my iPhone and it does work great, It looks exactly like Acrobat on my computer. It only took a moment to set up the connection to my iPhone, then I was able to drag & drop PDFs right onto my phone via WIFI. The only weird thing is that you have to hit a button to rotate the screen.

Screenshot attached.

RonGC
05-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Just as good or better than adobe reader. I wouldn't recommend it if it was a piece of crap.

Ron

cresshead
06-05-2010, 11:18 AM
was in leics today so tried out the ipad

generally pretty good actually to use...

odd stuff...going to the app store on the ipad the ielectribe is promoted front n centre..
you follow a link on the app store to the makers site [korg] and try n run the video demonstrating the ielectibe for ipad and it fails to run cos it's FLASH...quite funny really!...this needs to get fixed with a quicktime video.

google maps doesn't have an option for satelite view...just normal view

bbc iplayer for ipad can't go full screen..always has a address bar occupying 1/8 of screen space...though it's in beta so this should get fixed

i was surprised how small it actually was with the 1 inch surround the screen feels abit smaller than i expected.

having said all that overall vibe from using it was pretty good..the typing on screen worked okay for entering url addresses and the dedicated .com button helped too.

just about the whole store was dedicated to the ipad with the iphones and ipods pulled from their usual location replaced by the ipad

would i buy one?
well if there were must have apps on it along the lines of the ielectribe and drawing/3d apps...maybe..or maybe a hp slate...

BUT i'd be much more inclined to get one if it could run flash...this just seems a crazy situation...give me the "option" of drainig my battery and crashing the ipad please steve jobs....:)
in reality we all know it's nothing to do with crashing or battery draining...but funneling users to the app store rather than using FREE flash apps/games/videos on the internet.

bottom line for me is that i'm quite interested in having a bash on the new HP slate now...if it feels similar to the ipad but can run flash then it'll be king of the hill.

Kuzey
06-05-2010, 12:16 PM
in reality we all know it's nothing to do with crashing or battery draining...but funneling users to the app store rather than using FREE flash apps/games/videos on the internet.

Actually...I thought flash can't handle the touch screen technology...maybe, they can create an external iPad mouse just for the occasion. Also, there's that thing with Flash not working well on Lite OS's...I do believe.

I wonder, if the full OS on the HP slate would be a hindrance or a good thing in the long run...I guess time will tell :D

Kuzey

cresshead
06-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Actually...I thought flash can't handle the touch screen technology...

Kuzey

wot?....just want to play a flash video file...just make a [play> button!

stevecullum
06-05-2010, 12:35 PM
google maps doesn't have an option for satelite view...just normal view

bbc iplayer for ipad can't go full screen..always has a address bar occupying 1/8 of screen space...though it's in beta so this should get fixed

Google maps has all views, including hybrids and street views. You have to flip the page over to see the options ;)

Not noticed any issues using iplayer - the only things visible on mine is the little clock, ipad thing and battery life - very unobtrusive.

cresshead
06-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Google maps has all views, including hybrids and street views. You have to flip the page over to see the options ;)

Not noticed any issues using iplayer - the only things visible on mine is the little clock, ipad thing and battery life - very unobtrusive.

ahh well that's that little bit sorted...didn't spend hours on it just around 20mins or so

so how'd you go full screen in ipayer?...i couldn't see any u.i. button for that option?

stevecullum
06-05-2010, 12:44 PM
so how'd you go full screen in ipayer?...i couldn't see any u.i. button for that option?

There is still letter boxing as you would expect running a widescreen program on a 4:3 screen, is that what you mean? The black bars don't really bother me.

Kuzey
06-05-2010, 12:45 PM
wot?....just want to play a flash video file...just make a [play> button!

Haha...you did say play free "apps/games/videos"...two of those would require user interaction...more than just clicking a play button :D

I think that most flash video content will get converted sooner or later...but that's just a guess on my part :hey:

Kuzey

cresshead
06-05-2010, 12:51 PM
There is still letter boxing as you would expect running a widescreen program on a 4:3 screen, is that what you mean? The black bars don't really bother me.

if i remember it right i'm talking about the grey bar at the top as seen in this image...though we did have the rest of the screen with video

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/cmsdata/news/3225274/iplayer-ipad-2-380-.jpg

cresshead
06-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Haha...you did say play free "apps/games/videos"...two of those would require user interaction...more than just clicking a play button :D

I think that most flash video content will get converted sooner or later...but that's just a guess on my part :hey:

Kuzey
indeed...i'm mainly refering to flash based video in that..'give me a play button'

Philbert
06-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Actually...I thought flash can't handle the touch screen technology...maybe, they can create an external iPad mouse just for the occasion. Also, there's that thing with Flash not working well on Lite OS's...I do believe.

I wonder, if the full OS on the HP slate would be a hindrance or a good thing in the long run...I guess time will tell :D

Flash works great on touch screens, see Adobe's video about it on HP's device:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-RZAwQq0E

Unfortunately it looks like HP may be going with WebOS instead of Win7, since they bought out Palm. I'm hoping they at least offer Win7 as an option.

stevecullum
06-05-2010, 01:02 PM
if i remember it right i'm talking about the grey bar at the top as seen in this image...though we did have the rest of the screen with video

No grey bar here...

Kuzey
06-05-2010, 01:22 PM

Unfortunately it looks like HP may be going with WebOS instead of Win7, since they bought out Palm. I'm hoping they at least offer Win7 as an option.

I was referring to lite OS's...those on smart phones and devices etc...but it would be interesting to see the performance difference if they do go WebOS :D

As a side note : adobe is embracing HTML5 (http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/TechandScience/Story/STIStory_528928.html)

Kuzey

Philbert
06-05-2010, 01:33 PM
As a side note : adobe is embracing HTML5 (http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/TechandScience/Story/STIStory_528928.html)

Interesting news. Speaking of HTML5 Apple released an HTML5 Showcase (http://www.apple.com/html5/) gallery. Of course the first thing people noticed was that it only works with the Safari browser. The next was that almost none of it (http://my.opera.com/haavard/blog/2010/06/04/apple-html5) is HTML5. I tried it on my iPhone and only one (maybe two) of them worked 100% the way it's supposed to and they were all sluggish.

cresshead
06-05-2010, 01:37 PM

i'll have to checkout that HP slate once it arrives and also...see where it's priced as well.:thumbsup:

Philbert
06-05-2010, 01:48 PM
i'll have to checkout that HP slate once it arrives and also...see where it's priced as well.:thumbsup:

It's meant to be $549-599, which works out to be cheaper if you consider the storage, 3G, & of course stuff like USB.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/hp-slate-to-cost-549-have-1-6ghz-atom-z530-5-hour-battery/

Currently due out by October.

Kuzey
06-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Interesting news. Speaking of HTML5 Apple released an HTML5 Showcase (http://www.apple.com/html5/) gallery. Of course the first thing people noticed was that it only works with the Safari browser. The next was that almost none of it (http://my.opera.com/haavard/blog/2010/06/04/apple-html5) is HTML5. I tried it on my iPhone and only one (maybe two) of them worked 100% the way it's supposed to and they were all sluggish.

Actually...it only works with Snow Leopard and Safari, I just tried it on Leopard/Safari and no go..hehe :hey:

I think, it's more showcasing what can be done in the near future than actual html5 demos kinda thing. It might be updated to true html5....once the new iPhone OS comes out and the new Safari browser....just a guess as always :D

Kuzey

RonGC
06-05-2010, 02:50 PM
You guys do know that the iPad has USB through the dock connector cable included?

Whats all this about no USB when it does have it?

Ron

Philbert
06-05-2010, 02:55 PM
The cable connects it to a computer's USB port. The iPad does not have any ports of it's own. The big deal is that people want to connect things like game controllers and flash drives to the iPad.

RonGC
06-05-2010, 04:31 PM
The iPads USB access is through the dock connector port, there are adapters for USB accessories and camera card readers etc, and more on the way Via third party.

Just because it does not have a separate USB port does not mean it has no USB input/ output. After all there is only so much room inside such a small package for internal components.

Ron

Philbert
06-05-2010, 04:58 PM
There is an adapter, which I understand only works with cameras and can only transfer certain files. You also have to pay an extra $30 for this adapter.

Correction, it works with some (not all) other peripherals, but the price and fact that it's not built in are still there regardless

RonGC
06-05-2010, 05:19 PM
There is both a cameras adapter and a second USB adapter, this is just splitting hairs.The third party guys are ramping up to provide thousands of accessories for the iPad.

As to Game controllers the operating system does not provide for this as the controller is the touch screen the same as an Ipod touch. The apps would have to specifically written to use an external controller, aint gonna happen.

I am a Apple developer and have paid the fees for the Os4 SDK, and am currently developing a suite of tools for sport training and coaching. I have been a Coach for 30+ years and i have a lot of tools that i want to get onto the iPad as apps that will make life a lot easier for other coaches in sport.

What your asking for is what laptops are made for, the ipad is a totally different beast and this has to be understood, what you require may not be an iPad, fair enough, get whatever tool provides for your needs. Don't expect one manufacturers product to do exactly what you want, that is silly and may i say does not happen in real life:)

Ron

cresshead
06-05-2010, 05:30 PM
a good real world use of the ipad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jakehumphrey/2010/05/my_turkish_grand_prix_video_bl.html

it's a video blog and part way thru you see Jake explain why he's now using an pad rather than a clipboard/physical notes that he used to use.

Philbert
06-05-2010, 05:47 PM
You may call it splitting hairs but there are tons and tons of people complaining about it. Nobody wants to spend additional $30 (or any amount) for something that only partly works when they just spent $500+. I don't know why Apple can't do it when most or all of the other "pad" manufacturers are. Like the Asus EPad (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/asus-epad-like-the-eeepad-but-with-less-ecstasy/) that has one USB port built into the right side.

BTW I'm not totaly against the iPad, I'm still considering getting one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jakehumphrey/2010/05/my_turkish_grand_prix_video_bl.html

"not available in your area"

RonGC
06-05-2010, 06:03 PM
You may call it splitting hairs but there are tons and tons of people complaining about it. Nobody wants to spend additional $30 (or any amount) for something that only partly works when they just spent $500+. I don't know why Apple can't do it when most or all of the other "pad" manufacturers are. Like the Asus EPad (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/asus-epad-like-the-eeepad-but-with-less-ecstasy/) that has one USB port built into the right side.

BTW I'm not totaly against the iPad, I'm still considering getting one.

"not available in your area"

Thats the beauty of free choice, vote with your wallet in an informed way and get the product that works for you.

I just happen to see a big use for these puppies and am putting my money and sweat in to the platform.

I really do appreciate that your needs are different than mine and i do like that your willing to stand up and state this publicly.:)

Variety is truly the spice in life, and other manufacturers will be wanting to part you from your money as well.

Apple has made the iPad to operate like an iPod touch or iphone, and all files are either Up/downloaded via Usb or wireless, this has worked exceedingly well for those products so why change what works, no doubt in the future you will get more connectivity.

Ron

Hopper
06-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Heck no, I'm getting a windows based lappy top with 4G. They are waaayyy more worth the price.
Just a note...

You may want to wait a bit longer .. There are no 4G wireless networks in Wisconsin. Sprint's WiMax is not 4G. It's a single channel bastardized version of the same 3G network. By the end of the year AT&T and other carriers should have LTE network built out in most major cities in your area - but you need to check for availability. It may not be until the end of next year for some areas.

Cheers

jasonwestmas
06-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Just a note...

You may want to wait a bit longer .. There are no 4G wireless networks in Wisconsin. Sprint's WiMax is not 4G. It's a single channel bastardized version of the same 3G network. By the end of the year AT&T and other carriers should have LTE network built out in most major cities in your area - but you need to check for availability. It may not be until the end of next year for some areas.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. :)

Philbert
06-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Must read if you bought an iPad 3G in the US. (AT&T F'd up again):
http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/06/apples-worst-security-breach-114000-ipad-owners-exposed.php?ref=fpblg

JeffrySG
06-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Must read if you bought an iPad 3G in the US. (AT&T F'd up again):
http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/06/apples-worst-security-breach-114000-ipad-owners-exposed.php?ref=fpblg

wow... that's pretty messed up!

Matt
06-11-2010, 04:23 AM
As an outsider looking in, it seems AT&T are hated over there as much as BT are over here! That true?

JeffrySG
06-11-2010, 06:23 AM
As an outsider looking in, it seems AT&T are hated over there as much as BT are over here! That true?

Yeah, pretty much! I love my iPhone but really hate ATT phone service. I must admit that their customer support is always pretty nice and willing to offer refunds on months that you have bad service/reception.

Philbert
06-11-2010, 09:02 AM
I actually have an iPhone (1st gen) with AT&T and am fairly happy with them. I do get a week signal inside my house sometimes but I am way out in the suburbs so I would expect that. I have also found their customer support helpful and yeah I have had my phone disconnected a few times but they have been willing to wave the reconnection fee if I call them to pay my bill.

jasonwestmas
06-11-2010, 10:18 AM
ATT is viewed by many as a monopolizer with mediocre service.

Nemoid
06-13-2010, 09:14 AM
iPad is an ok product for common, non techy people and together with great marketing this is the reason of the success. :D
Tho I personally wouldn't buy any 1st generation apple product, they usually suck:D, while they become great at 3, 4 generation. i Phone is getting better only now, with 4 generation. This is made to earn more money, btw.
What I personally don't like of iPad is how the screen is reflective: this doesn't allow to read books and text confortably, especially when going outside. Also i don't like the fact its only touch and doesn't have a stylus, which would be awesome to have for scribbling (you can buy something that acts like a stylus but it doesn't work perfectly) and create even some basic quality content.

stevecullum
06-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Tho I personally wouldn't buy any 1st generation apple product, they usually suck, while they become great at 3, 4 generation. i Phone is getting better only now, with 4 generation. This is made to earn more money, btw.

As a few of you have pointed out, the ipad is just a big ipod touch (although its better than that ;)) - which is currently a 3rd or 4th gen product, so technically the ipad is 3rd/4th gen. :D

Also i don't like the fact its only touch and doesn't have a stylus

I got one for mine and it works great - called pogo sketch.

Philbert
06-13-2010, 11:05 AM
What I personally don't like of iPad is how the screen is reflective: this doesn't allow to read books and text confortably, especially when going outside.

You should check out some of the tablets coming out from Pixel Qi. Not only do they look pretty cool but they have a button that converts the screen to something like e-ink for outside reading.

*Googles...* Ah here's a link to a review:
http://gizmodo.com/5444232/notion-ink-adam-pixel-qi-tabletereader-hands-on-your-screen-is-obsolete

Steve: That Pogo Sketch works OK for you? I heard some people complaing that it takes getting used to because you have to press hard.

jasonwestmas
06-13-2010, 11:18 AM
I got one for mine and it works great - called pogo sketch.

Sweeeet! I'm surprised I didn't hear about this sooner. Maybe I'll get a tablet. . .some day.:jam:

stevecullum
06-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Steve: That Pogo Sketch works OK for you? I heard some people complaing that it takes getting used to because you have to press hard.

I would say it does take a bit of getting used to generally, but I've found some apps to be more responsive than others. I really like Artstudio, as it has some nice painterly brush strokes in addition to some geometric shapes (circles, squares etc..). Its nice the way you access the tools too. But this one you do have to press a bit more firmly than for Sketchbook Pro. That's another nice drawing app, with plenty of brushes and textures. Luckily you can mix and match a bit when creating your doodle, as you can save your creations to the 'saved photos' folder, which can then be accessed by other applications. The pen feel itself is akin to a felt tip pen thats part way through its life - you know that stage where you have to start applying bit of pressure, but not ramming it through the page!

I don't think you'll be creating the next five star master piece on it, but when inspiration strikes, its great for throwing your ideas down. :)

gordonrobb
06-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Have to say I'm intrigued by this beast. Just a shame the 3G data packages are so crappy in the UK.

Intuition
06-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Before I go into the iPad I want to rant a little.

Ok so I pretty much resist apple products mainly due to the delay in development for software and hardware taht relates to the 3D work I do.

I did recommend mac pro systems for final cut HD at two facilities I worked. I do think the final cut systems are amazing as a dedicated machine especially at the price. This price point comparison is mainly due to the numerous expensive Avid systems I had seen purchased and even have used over the years. So here Apple has created a financial breakthrough fro creative professionals. Kudos to them for this.

Now onto the iPod, Iphone, and iPad.

The iPod was at release and still is a neat device. It seems that it is fading away now that iPhone users essentially have the same funtionality as well as cell phone usage.

My initial feeling about the iPod was.... "Holy @#$%, really, $500? Are you kidding me? I mean, there is no way the device upon mass production could cost them more then maybe $40-$50 per unit if that and even accounting for initial prototyping.

I thought, no way people are going to buy this thing at that price. Well I was wrong. Meanwhile Apple is shipping jobs to China and I am wondering why at least aren't we seeing the labor savings being pushed down to the consumer?

Years go by and people eat up every new version of these things like they are made of gold.

Then the iPhone gets announced and I am certain that since cell phones are now down to reasonable prices like $40-$50 for a fancy flip phone with screen that no one in thier right mind is going to buy a phone for $500. Sure it has a neat touch screen and can act like an iPod. Ok but seriously. $500-$800 for different models then you have to pay at&t $100 a month to use it? I thought, finally Apple will learn its lesson. The American consumer has to be smarter then this.

Again, I was wrong. Shiny glossy touchscreen and brushed metal win the day. People eat these phones up like they are the second coming and still do to this day every time there is new memory added to they change the G to 2 G or 3G even though general functionality isn't really perceptibly different then before. "MUST HAVE... 3G...drool" friend buys 3G... has about same reception as first iphone. This morning he is standing in line for iPhone4. I shake my head.

Now onto the iPad.

This thing, just like all Apple products is really neat. Has practical application in daily life and is glossy and brushed metal and just says "buy me now" on every billboard and ad in the world without even saying it at all.

My grandmother won an iPad in a raffle for $20. Great. I play with it and really love it. I like the immediacy of it. No boot time, you tube, music, books, internet all at click speed and it sits in my lap like a small comic book. Totally kik arse little unit.

I think, ok this might be somthing I would buy.....untli I see the specs and price. $500 intro model with 16gb of HD space? Whaaaat? Now wait a minute the first iPod had 10 GB in 2001 and you're only giving me 16gb for $500? Now I realize this is alot of touch screen and the screen is really nice looking. Its a lot of gloss and a lot of brushed metal but....F^%$ seriously.... $500?

You see, in the meantime apple has its manufacturing in China and the cost of labor for assembling these things is between 1to 2 % of the final cost of the product. I suppose you could say that by buying an iPad you have given 5 people in chine a months worth of salary. Thats pretty dope I suppose but... seriously? I mean I want to buy Apple and I did finally buy my wife an iPod when they came down to like $200 for the larger drives.

So finally I get to play with an iPad and I liked it alot. Yet as I mentioned above. The price.... I just don't get it. I mean, a PS3 costs $400 and has blu ray player and a lot of other functionality. Most netbooks have more functionality at $250. Which ultimately I may end up buying but, none of them have the immediacy of the iPad. Grrr. So two ipads at 64GB 3g for $2000 OR a final cut system? I think Apple's prices are criminal seeing as they send all the work to China and then don't pass on the labor savings to the customer OR at least the pay to the laborers. I mean didn't microsoft get hell for a monopoly for IE? Now Apple does the same thing with all thier devices and software and all these anti-corporate hippes are eating it up waiting in line for days to get some.

Meanwhile, I want an iPad but can't find the conscience to pay even $500 for a low end model. So kudos to Steve Jobs for having great ideas, meanwhile AT&T has crappy service for premium prices all while the jobs are being encouraged to be shipped elsewhere with no benefit to the US public stupidly funding this group of A-holes. I mean at these prices you could afford to say "Made in America" with plenty of profit.

Philbert
06-24-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm all for apple bashing but your facts are a little skewed. I've never paid $100 a month for phone service, my bill is $70. Also the iPhone, as well as the Android and Win7 Mobile phones, are not just a phone with a touch screen that acts like an ipod. It's essentially a handheld computer, that's why it doesn't cost $50.

I do agree that $500 for the ipad is too much though, considering what you get and the fact that there are like a dozen other slate-like devices coming out this year that all offer more features for less money, like the Asus Eee Pad (http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/31/asus-eee-pad-official-intel-culv-processors-windows-7-and-a-1/) for example.

Intuition
06-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm all for apple bashing but your facts are a little skewed. I've never paid $100 a month for phone service, my bill is $70. Also the iPhone, as well as the Android and Win7 Mobile phones, are not just a phone with a touch screen that acts like an ipod. It's essentially a handheld computer, that's why it doesn't cost $50.

I do agree that $500 for the ipad is too much though, considering what you get and the fact that there are like a dozen other slate-like devices coming out this year that all offer more features for less money, like the Asus Eee Pad (http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/31/asus-eee-pad-official-intel-culv-processors-windows-7-and-a-1/) for example.

Well $70 is not much cheaper then $100. I digress. To sum up. Love Apple's ideas. Dislike, closed architecture, high prices.

I have to respect that even with all that they are very successful. I have alot of respect for that. I do realize they employ lots of Apple store workers so in that sense I guess its great for the respective local economies they are in.

I dunno. I am just whining like a baby because I want an iPad and don't want to pay more then $200 for it. Plus, its been a while since I ranted on the internet. It felt good. ;D

Philbert
06-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Well good luck finding any half decent slate device for $200, most of them are cheaper than the iPad but not by that much.

stevecullum
06-24-2010, 05:01 PM
The price.... I just don't get it. I mean, a PS3 costs $400 and has blu ray player and a lot of other functionality.

Yep, I got one of those too and its really cool underneath the TV, but carrying it under my arm or holding it on the tube would be a reel problem! The price, while probably inflated, is what we pay for extreme portability.

Intuition
06-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Yep, I got one of those too and its really cool underneath the TV, but carrying it under my arm or holding it on the tube would be a reel problem! The price, while probably inflated, is what we pay for extreme portability.

Yeah, I may just wait., like the iPod, untl the original wifi versions are much cheaper. I am always a late adopter of expensive things. ;)

Puguglybonehead
06-25-2010, 04:17 PM
I can't help but agree with Intuition's rant. As much as I love Apple's operating system and have stayed mostly Mac for the past 15 years, I still think they are making a stinky-huge profit off of their products while exploiting the same cheap foreign labour as all the others in the high-tech products industries do. Their "Think Different" image seems so far removed from the reality of what they've become. Didn't they start out selling their computers as DIY kits?
And, yes, I would rather my money could be spent on domestically-produced products, if only we still had manufacturing in North America. :( I envy my parents generation for that.
Meanwhile, I really can't actually find any need for an iPad, myself. It just doesn't seem to do anything terribly useful, IMO. I could never justify blowing that much on a frilly tech-toy. I'm not a luddite, but I would rather spend my extra cash on things like guitar-building, pedal-building, actual fun DIY stuff that results in something useful for me later. I just can't get into being a techie-consumer. Maybe because I don't watch TV, so I see less of those nauseating Apple ads. I'm notorious as a late-or-maybe-never adopter, when it comes to this stuff.
I only have an MP3 player because I was given one as a present. (I guess because I'm a musician, we always have the cheapest stereos too ;) ) If this device, or the iPod or the iPhone actually did anything special that I would find indispensable, I would still question the over-inflated pricing. As it stands, I have my Mac at home, a cheap cellphone, (soon to be replaced with a camera-equipped model when I change carriers next month) and I really have no desire for any other unnecessary gadgetry.
I remember a word that William Gibson liked to use in his cyberpunk novels. Gomi. It was a term for high-tech products that are created, simply to be become useless and be disposed of later. Sort of an accelerated planned-obsolescence. I think we're seeing a lot of that nowadays.
Perhaps this kind of thing has really got me bothered lately because my current job has me walking through downtown Toronto quite a bit. People are begging on the streets everywhere I go. I've seen it in Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg, even in small towns too.
When I was younger and we had tariffs against China, we had our own manufacturing. In that environment, everyone had jobs. (even if they didn't like them) The only people I saw begging on the streets were a few alcoholics. We were totally capable of high-tech manufacturing. I remember Clairtone coming out with the first matchbox-sized transistor radios. I remember our house was filled with electronics and appliances that were either made in Canada or in the USA. (well, our stereo was made in Germany) I now buy vintage as much as possible.
The Gang Of 20 (G20) have just invaded my city this weekend and have virtually shut the place down. When you go downtown it looks like a martial law has just been instituted here. Seriously! Perhaps this is what's got me steamed up. I know their meetings will just result in more jobs being outsourced. Meanwhile, $1.2-billion down the drain...:mad: I wonder if they have their iPads with them?

Intuition
06-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Well good luck finding any half decent slate device for $200, most of them are cheaper than the iPad but not by that much.

So I tried out a copycat iPad device called iRobot and its about $160.

Only problem is that it is not that smooth as far as interaction. It has this feel like its having a hard time making menus animate and playing video.

Its actually smaller then the ipad but has the same glossy screen and brushed metal. I mean these guys really tried to make an iPad copy.

But, I am not interested because its just missing some of the interactivity speed that the ipad has. Oh and its also made in China. Which I suppose everything is now. I wouldn't be surprised to find out American Flags are now made in China. :-/

Also to Pugugly.... I totally agree.

EDIT-----

http://www.amish-furniture-home.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/22e1a_Made-in-China-American-Flag.jpg

DiscreetFX
06-25-2010, 07:09 PM
@Intuition

iRobot would need to kidnap some Apple software engineers.

:)

Titus
06-26-2010, 11:09 AM

Fro the link:

"Update: ASUS has given us a $399 to $499 price range for the Eee Pads, but don't start salivating just yet. We were also told that the Eee Pad won't be out until the first quarter of 2011."

So almost the same price as the ipad, and they come late.

Want a cheap ipad? made in America? acceptable quality?. Pick two :D.

Philbert
06-26-2010, 11:31 AM
So it's a little later than I had read for that specific one, However 399-499 is still cheaper than 499 and up, especially since you don't have to buy accessories to give it standard stuff like a USB port.

gordonrobb
06-26-2010, 12:39 PM
I was playing with one in the apple shop in Glasgsow today. To me it is like this. It's not about wether you can get a cheaper one, or if it does more, it is about 'how' it does it. When we got iPhones, it was because no one could touch them in terms of operatioin. The touch screen is just superb to use. Playing with the iPad, I was thinking the same. Still thinking I might get one.

Philbert
06-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Well how do you know nobody can touch them? Personally I've never seen a competitor in real life only in pictures and videos.

gordonrobb
06-26-2010, 01:00 PM
No I meant that about the iPhone (having tried the alternatives). I'm assuming it about the iPads

Intuition
06-26-2010, 05:40 PM
I was playing with one in the apple shop in Glasgsow today. To me it is like this. It's not about wether you can get a cheaper one, or if it does more, it is about 'how' it does it. When we got iPhones, it was because no one could touch them in terms of operatioin. The touch screen is just superb to use. Playing with the iPad, I was thinking the same. Still thinking I might get one.

Yeah, I agree. Even though I am not buying an iPad until it becomes cheaper or something better comes out, I must say that currently the brands copying ipad are not nearly as immediate in feel or operation. The Apad was close but just feels like its having a hard time moving through its own menus and playing video is very choppy. I mean, if I were in quality control I wouldn't have let the Apad be released in its current form. I'd make the tech guys go back until it was smooth in operation across the board.

So, as much as I complain about apple.... they have the best pad device right now. :cursin: :thumbsup:

Philbert
06-26-2010, 05:41 PM
They have the only pad device right now, except maybe the Archos 9.

gordonrobb
07-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Got mine yesterday. I have to say it is a superb to use as I thought it would be. Working out what apps I want to get now.

Working on it at home on my WiFi network seems a lot faster than my PC.

tribbles
07-06-2010, 04:41 AM
Funnily enough, I got mine yesterday, too.

Annoyed at Apple's normal "We don't follow the UK standard keyboard layout" stance, but after I got over that, I'm quite impressed with it.

Wish the VGA ran at a higher resolution though (well, high enough for 1280x720 for playing videos), and the "Origami" slideshow transition also worked on VGA...

gordonrobb
07-06-2010, 04:45 AM
So are you outputting it somehow to another screen? If so how? Can I just attach it to a tv to show my movies albeit in low res?

Philbert
07-06-2010, 05:39 AM
I'm becoming more and more sad with apple, I'm still on the fence with whether to upgrade my iPhone to 4 and as for the pad I'm really liking the looks of Asus's EEEPad, Unfortunately it's not out until January.

Video from Computex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5AQGNewap4

A slightly better demo minus the dock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxkb-mnwBxs

gerry_g
07-06-2010, 06:11 AM
'I'm becoming more and more sad with apple'

U shouldn't be, the iPhone 4 is in a different class to the 3Gs, way better reception and lightning fast, feel sorry for these with the faulty antennae cannot replicate their problem with mine no matter how hard I try.

tribbles
07-06-2010, 06:15 AM
So are you outputting it somehow to another screen? If so how? Can I just attach it to a tv to show my movies albeit in low res?

You can get S-Video, component and VGA adapters.

Photo slideshow, YouTube and Movies will play on the other screen, but I've not found anything else that appears to use it.

VGA max resolution is same as screen (1024x768).

S-Video and component should be able to do widescreen, but at 480/576p (depending on whether it's NTSC/PAL).

Philbert
07-06-2010, 06:19 AM
'I'm becoming more and more sad with apple'

U shouldn't be, the iPhone 4 is in a different class to the 3Gs, way better reception and lightning fast, feel sorry for these with the faulty antennae cannot replicate their problem with mine no matter how hard I try.

Well the antenna issue is only part of the problem, the main problem is the company itself.

gordonrobb
07-06-2010, 06:25 AM
You can get S-Video, component and VGA adapters.

Photo slideshow, YouTube and Movies will play on the other screen, but I've not found anything else that appears to use it.

VGA max resolution is same as screen (1024x768).

S-Video and component should be able to do widescreen, but at 480/576p (depending on whether it's NTSC/PAL).

Cool, any pointers as to where to get? And have you tried watching a movie that is in 720p on the iPad, through one of these cables? does it downscale ok?

tribbles
07-06-2010, 06:30 AM
I got mine from the Apple store:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipad/ipad_accessories/cables_docks?mco=OTY2ODYyMw

720p played okay; a little bit jerky, but quality was okay (I encoded it using an AppleTV HD preset).

[Just spotted that S-Video was wrong; composite was the other cable type]

gordonrobb
07-25-2010, 02:59 AM
Ok have now got it all Sussed.

I have an app tat will let me create and edit Microsoft office files. I can transfer the to and from my pc in the office using drop box very easily. And the last hurdle (what about apps I can't run on iPad?) I have a VPN. To the office and using Jump Desktop I can log onto my work pc in seconds and use it from the iPad. To. me it is now an alternative to my laptop. Very happy about my iPad.

Kuzey
08-11-2010, 05:52 AM
Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm sure people would love to see what the competitors have come up with.

A Hanvon slate, with full Win 7 OS v the iPad...see the battle :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2IuEH07xBg

That's just too funny...a track pad and a start menu. I wonder if you need a mouse connected to that thing...hehe.

Kuzey

stevecullum
08-11-2010, 12:04 PM
A Hanvon slate, with full Win 7 OS v the iPad...see the battle :

Win 7 in its current state is great as a desktop app, but there is no way I would swap my ipad for anything I've seen to date in the tablet market.

I like the end user experience so much, yesterday I swapped out my Nokia for a iphone 4 - which is just like a mini ipad with a camera :)

Kuzey
08-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Win 7 in its current state is great as a desktop app, but there is no way I would swap my ipad for anything I've seen to date in the tablet market.

I like the end user experience so much, yesterday I swapped out my Nokia for a iphone 4 - which is just like a mini ipad with a camera :)

True...the competitors seem to think that if they throw everything into a product....it'll somehow be better. They always forget user experience...a trackpad on a slate/pad??...really, good luck with that :D

I can't wait to see how the other slates/pads compare....I so wanted there to be competition in that market...but the signs aren't looking good.

Kuzey

Philbert
08-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm curious what Best Buy is up to, their CTO leaked a couple photos to Twitter of what looks exactly like an HP Slate, but it has their own Rocketfish branding on it.
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/08/06/best-buys-cto-tweets-out-pics-of-a-rocketfish-tablet-seriously-a-best-buy-tablet/

stevecullum
08-11-2010, 12:56 PM
I can't wait to see how the other slates/pads compare....I so wanted there to be competition in that market...but the signs aren't looking good.

I remeber this when the iphone first appeared. Its only recently there have been any signs of competition, but then Apple released the ip4. Back to playing catch up again...

Kuzey
08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm curious what Best Buy is up to, their CTO leaked a couple photos to Twitter of what looks exactly like an HP Slate, but it has their own Rocketfish branding on it.
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/08/06/best-buys-cto-tweets-out-pics-of-a-rocketfish-tablet-seriously-a-best-buy-tablet/

I just noticed, with that metal rim, it looks a bit like a giant iPhone 4...hehe

There is a good article concerning the lack of competition from the above link:

did the ipad preemptively kill the us tablet market (http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/08/04/did-the-ipad-preemptively-kill-the-us-tablet-market-like-the-kindle-nook-killed-other-ebook-readers/)

Interesting stuff...looks like everyone is waiting to see what the other PC brands do first....if they can get a foothold in the market or not?

Kuzey

rwhunt99
08-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Don't have one myself, but I had to hook my boss's into the server, and get it to work so he could control his desktop from his ipad, and get it to print to his printer and I can see if you have too much money, you might want one to keep up with the Jones. It's a shame, he has a Toshiba i7 laptop with 4 Gigs and it's really nice. I keep telling him the ipad is not a replacement for his laptop but it doesn't seem to faze him. I'm hoping he'll sell me his laptop, Ha, he's got to much money!

gordonrobb
08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
I thought it wasn't a replacement for my laptop until I found myself in my car after a meeting and turned it on, switched on the VPN, used Jump to connect to my desktop, put my meeting report template into drop box, then picked it up on my iPad and filled in a meeting report which I put back in drop box ( and therefore into my desktop) all in less time than my laptop woul take to boot up. In terms of immediacy there's nothing to touch it.