PDA

View Full Version : Quote...unQuote off topic...forums-posts

cresshead
05-12-2010, 03:14 PM
hi

quick off topic qiestion on forums in general and posting....
and in particular QUOTES

why is it that if you quote someone in your reply you have 'live text' in the quote?

this is then open to abuse of clipping what they write to make a quote out of context or even open to the abuse of re -writing a quote and so mis-represent the origional writer....

to my mind a QUOTE, the text should be UNEDITABLE to the poster who's using the quote or the quote is parsed as an image of the text....

Dexter2999
05-12-2010, 03:17 PM
It has pro's and con's.

Sometimes you re-write someone for humor.
Sometimes someone writes the WAR AND PEACE of posts and you only want to address a particular point.

The con? Yeah, people parsing your posts to take something out of context. I'm pretty much over that.

OnlineRender
05-12-2010, 03:26 PM
It has pro's and con's.

Sometimes you re-write someone for humor.
Sometimes someone writes the WAR AND PEACE of posts and you only want to address a particular point.

The con? Yeah, people arsing your posts to,cresshead is a smeghead take something out of context. I'm pretty much over that.

hence you cannot win via the net

SBowie
05-12-2010, 03:41 PM
this is then open to abuse of clipping what they write to make a quote out of context or even open to the abuse of re -writing a quote and so mis-represent the origional writer....Wouldn't the alternative prevent 'honest' use of trimming quoted text - as to simply save space, for legibility, to split quotes so responses can be item by item, and so on?

Titus
05-12-2010, 03:47 PM
hi

and in particular QUOTES

why is it that if you quote someone in your reply you have 'live text' in the quote?

this is then open to abuse of clipping what they write to make a quote out of context or even open to the abuse of re -writing a quote and so mis-represent the origional writer....

to my mind a QUOTE, the text should be UNEDITABLE to the poster who's using the quote or the quote is parsed as an image of the text....

What about when you want to just use a snippet of the quote? one day someone accused me to manipulate a quote, when all I was trying to do was to reply one particular idea.

shrox
05-12-2010, 03:51 PM
There is always the original post...

cagey5
05-12-2010, 03:52 PM
hi

and in particular QUOTES...

snip..

to my mind a QUOTE, the text should be EDITABLE to the poster who's using the quote

I agree entirely ;)

probiner
05-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I hate LW, all it's community and ppl with dogs unless they also have cats.
3DMax ROCKS!!!

You mean, situations like this? I really don't understand the matter you are raising =\

SBowie
05-12-2010, 05:03 PM
I agree entirely ;)Priceless (I actually had to scroll down to check!) :D

cresshead
05-12-2010, 05:44 PM
LOL!

i just knew i was in for some "quotes"

probiner
05-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Oh i understand now... well you can always do... this

hi

and in particular QUOTES

But not very pratical is it ? =\

Hopper
05-12-2010, 06:32 PM
It has

Sometimes humor.
someone writes WAR AND posts a particular con?

Yeah, people parsing something pretty

Edit a quote? Never.

ken_g9
05-12-2010, 07:18 PM
As what shrox said, I guess you can always go back to the original post to check if the quote was re-written or if the quote was taken out of context.

Hopper
05-12-2010, 07:50 PM
As what shrox said, I guess you can always go back to the original post to check if the quote was re-written or if the quote was taken out of context.
Unless of course you play on people's inherent laziness when the thread has 18 pages or so...

Then in that case it's...

Man, I remember the time Chuck was showing me his man boobs at SIGGRAPH. Talk about scarred for life. There are just things you can't un-see.

Holy crap Shrox. I'm surprised you didn't get banned for that post. How rude can you get .. sheesh!

probiner
05-12-2010, 08:11 PM
http://casadogalo.com/wp-content/uploads/duvida.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/LWFORUMSPACER.png

shrox
05-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Unless of course you play on people's inherent laziness when the thread has 18 pages or so...

Then in that case it's...

"Originally Posted by Shrox
Man, I remember the time Chuck was showing me his man boobs at SIGGRAPH. Talk about scarred for life. There are just things you can't un-see."

Holy crap Shrox. I'm surprised you didn't get banned for that post. How rude can you get .. sheesh!

The truth sure hurt that day...it took until E3 for the scales to fall off my eyes...

shrox
05-12-2010, 08:13 PM

There is wisdom there somewhere.

probiner
05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
busted :D

T-Light
05-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Just testing something -

Test a quote

edit - aha

Thought I didn't use the quote button on this forum.
Steve, are you saying if someone clicks the 'quote' button you'de like a non editable picture of the quote for the qouter?

The quote above just uses (no spaces) [ Q U O T E ] Test a quote [ / Q U O T E ]

There's always ways round these things :)

OnlineRender
05-15-2010, 12:45 AM

that's sexy !

probiner
05-15-2010, 03:16 AM
that's sexy !

:)

cresshead
05-15-2010, 04:07 AM
Just testing something -

edit - aha

Thought I didn't use the quote button on this forum.
Steve, are you saying if someone clicks the 'quote' button you'de like a non editable picture of the quote for the qouter?

The quote above just uses (no spaces) [ Q U O T E ] Test a quote [ / Q U O T E ]

There's always ways round these things :)

actually i'd like people to be able to select text of someones post but not ADD to it or change it...to just edit what they want to quote but not have as "retypable text"..no need for a "picture snap" just have the quote as "read/select only and trim"

SBowie
05-15-2010, 06:34 AM
actually i'd like people to be able to select text of someones post but not ADD to it or change it...to just edit what they want to quote but not have as "retypable text"..no need for a "picture snap" just have the quote as "read/select only and trim"I don't think it's feasible, realistically. Too many ways around it.

However - editing quoted text in a manner that constitutes a clear attempt to mislead is unethical, and arguably a breach of the forum policy on "civil conversation". At least, I know one moderator who would consider it to be such, and who would take corrective steps (if such a matter was brought to his attention) .... keeping in mind that whether any given example is really a breech or not is a judgment call, and moderation decisions are not subject to debate. :)

T-Light
05-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Why has this come up then? Has someone been deliberately misquoting?

It's a strange thing, I made a political vid for last weeks UK election. I used media headlines deliberately so I couldn't be accused of misquoting or quoting out of context. I even used many political sources, from left to right and all colours in between.

Didn't work. Those who wished a certain party well still accused me of all of the above.

Such is life.