PDA

View Full Version : offsetting motion in FX linker

marcopolio
09-12-2003, 10:17 AM
I have a crowd scene I am working on and am wondering if there is a way that I can offset the animation of the people in my scene. I have close to 4000 people, and for the mean time I only have 10 different people. 400 people waving their arms in unison really stands out. Can anyone give me some insight in how to off set the timing of their animations?

-A

HowardM
09-12-2003, 11:05 AM
I think you need to basically make a bunch of different animations and FXlink a certain # at a time...so make a wave, link 50 of them, make a dance, link 50 more...etc...
Not really that tough to do, just a little time consuming...but think about this - imagine hand drawing it?
:)

marcopolio
09-12-2003, 04:09 PM
It really isnt quite that simple. The animations of the people are made using bones and are quite complex. Oddly enough, I have to link a max of 100 at a time or it will crash LW... but thats another issue..

If I link them even in smaller groups, the animation stays the same. I just want to off set the animations so that there is a random time delay between motions. can anyone help me with ths?

HowardM
09-12-2003, 05:28 PM
thats weird that it crashes with less than a 100, i usually crash when i do alot of linked objs...

hmm, not sure if Motion Mixer would help?

I see what you mean, you make 5 seperate arm flailing anims, then clone them, but there are still 100s of the exact same 5 different times, and you would like to keep the same motion for all of them, simply offset them....yeah unless you make 1000s of different animations and link them i cant think how to do it...

WCameron
09-12-2003, 07:36 PM
didnt they use Motion Designer for somehting like this in the final episode of Buffy, with the zillions of vampires coming up out of the ground?
I think the guy went into it a bit in the interview bit from Siggraph... but Icant recall any details.

- Will.