PDA

View Full Version : Flash 3.5 Multiple Bit Rate Streaming

dwdusharme
05-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I am considering buying a Tricaster Studio. One of my requirements is the ability to do multiple bit rate streaming as supported by the latest Flash Media Encoder. I am getting mixed messages as to whether this is supported by Tricaster or not. From what I have read, Tricaster comes with FME 3.0. Since FME 3.0 supports multiple bit rate streaming I would assume that the Tricaster does too. But from what I can see on the forums that may not be the case.

Can someone clarify for me please.

Thanks

bbeanan
05-11-2010, 04:56 PM
no you would have to send the feed to another computer the TriCaster will only do 1 bit rate.

dwdusharme
05-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks Brett. I thought as much. I happen to have a Matrox MX02 Mini that I haven't tried out yet. Are you familiar with it? It should take the video from the Tricaster and allow me to bring into a Mac Laptop where I can run it into FME or Wirecast.

bbeanan
05-11-2010, 07:12 PM
there is a way to pull it off but the TriCaster does not have the power to encode multiple streams... so it is better to off load it... (and it takes being pretty tricky)

pdxJoe
05-12-2010, 01:10 AM
I believe in order for adaptive bitrate streaming to work, the keyframes must be in the exact same place in the video stream. This allows the flash player to switch from one stream to another without buffering. I don't think two separate live encoders could accomplish this. <anyone know?>

I feed the tricaster output into a dedicated encoder that can encode multiple bit rates.

TakeOneDigital
05-12-2010, 02:05 AM
Yeah, it's easy enough to feed a TC output to a separate encoder to accomplish this. We take analog outs from the TC all the time to encode on another machine. Also, we have done two discreet streams for some events where we want to keep a high bandwidth stream as a 'private' feed for classrooms or other large-screen locations (encoding those on teh TC) and sending a low-bandwidth stream to Watershed for the 'masses' to view.

bbeanan
05-12-2010, 08:43 AM
You can feed out to many different computers with no problems... but it will more depend on your viewer's end of things, as it will take them longer to buffer a high bit rate as it would a low bit rate. So when they switch streams they would end up having to re-buffer.

Now the way to make it work is using Silverlight (I have not yet done a Silverlight stream) but I have heard that you push out a single very high bit rate and the viewers pull down a very low quaility stream and as their system buffers and their connection is looking good it will "ratchet" up the quaility all the way up to your very high bit rate. If suddenly their connection goes to crap it will automatically drop down as needed. It is very cool stuff.

But all of my clients are all set for flash streaming so that is where I stay for now..

take a look at:
http://www.iis.net/download/SmoothStreaming

dwdusharme
05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
TakeOneDigital: what are you using to take the video from the Tricaster and feed to your encoding computer?

TakeOneDigital
05-25-2010, 01:43 AM
We use a cheapo analog (RCA) to USB adapter available at the local MicroCenter. Roxio makes one, Turtle Beach makes one. One of our guys uses an old Sony analog-to-firewire adapter to get the video in. All work just fine. Once in, we start up Flash Media Encoder as standalone on the laptop. Just be careful about the laptop's performance (open task manager). When the processor hits 100%, stream will stutter.

bob anderson
05-27-2010, 11:40 PM
I believe in order for adaptive bitrate streaming to work, the keyframes must be in the exact same place in the video stream. This allows the flash player to switch from one stream to another without buffering. I don't think two separate live encoders could accomplish this. <anyone know?>

Reading this caused one of those " DUH " moments for me... It makes perfect sense, but was something I'd never thought of. Thanks for your super clear explanation. I will be quoting you on this specific concept for years to come!

Perfect!

Bob Anderson

pdxJoe
05-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Bob,

The technology is changing so fast, I hope you get 1 year out of it before someone invents another way to do it! Thanks for the comment!

Joe

joseburgos
05-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Isn't it Flash Media Server 3.5 but it's Flash Media Live Encoder 3.1 as the latest version and there is no 3.5 version yet, right. I am pretty sure I'm right as TriCaster does not have Flash Media Server installed and only Flash Media Live Encoder.