PDA

View Full Version : Dividing One Object into Two?

Holdesta
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Hello...I am brand new to LW and I am self teaching so the first I am sure of many questions. I have 9.6....I leaarned how to manipulate a ball yeasterday into the shape of a mushroom:

Question how do I now seperate the stem of the mushroom from the top to make two objects? Thanks :D

cagey5
05-11-2010, 11:57 AM
If it's for surfacing purposes there's no need to divide it, just hi-light all the polygons that make up the stem and hit 'q'. This will allow you to name and therefore surface that area different to the mushroom head.
If you definitely want to divide it physically then hi-light as before and 'cut' [Ctl x] the polys before pasting them into a new layer or object.

Holdesta
05-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Both those options worked perfect thanks I now have a stem and top on two layers.

Next query:

Is each layer in LW an Object as opposed to each unit on a layer? IE a box and ball on the same layer is an A Object or B Two Objects on the same layer? Just trying to understand how the software groups object vs units

BeeVee
05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Yes, once in Layout, each Modeler layer is a separate object. If you only want one object, you can cut and paste back into the same layer (easiest way for multiple layers is to make them all foreground; cut; then just select layer 1; paste).

B

liquidpope
05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Is each layer in LW an Object as opposed to each unit on a layer? IE a box and ball on the same layer is an A Object or B Two Objects on the same layer? Just trying to understand how the software groups object vs units

Howdy, and welcome!
A box and ball on the same layer are one object.
A box and ball on separate layers are one "model", but separate objects within that model.
I'll try to make up some examples later tonight.

Holdesta
05-11-2010, 03:02 PM
thanks for the welcome. LW is a bit...overwhelming so I am glad people here or so receptive to questions. Last one for today

most of my experience is photoshop. In there you can group layers or lock them together so when one moves so does the other. Equivilant in LW?

So I can now move my mushroom top in layer one and the stem in layer two follows....possible?

You guys rock :D

BeeVee
05-11-2010, 03:12 PM
That's called "parenting" and yes, it's not only possible but necessary for a lot of animation tasks. You can also set it up in Modeler. Hit F7 to open the Layers Panel in Modeler and you will see an entry with a right-pointing arrow beside it. Drop that arrow down and you will see the layers of your object. If you double click on a layer, not only can you name it (essential if you are dealing with models with lots of layers, and useful for Layout too as it will use the layer names), but you can choose to parent one layer to another (and that one to another and so on).

B