PDA

View Full Version : RIP Frank Frazetta

biliousfrog
05-10-2010, 11:43 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CjQl5EAPz84/R4fpsn0V4II/AAAAAAAADkU/XNQ8eixBZ_o/s400/Frazetta.jpg

Several websites are reporting the death of legendary fantasy artist Frazetta, age 82. There haven't been any official statements at this time.

jasonwestmas
05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi subject matter was often goofy but a few of his works are pure master pieces. A really inspiring guy.

biliousfrog
05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi subject matter was often goofy but a few of his works are pure master pieces. A really inspiring guy.

Agreed, by modern standards they can look a bit corny, but the quality of the work is usually astounding and has inspired some of our most admired fantasy illustrators.

biliousfrog
05-10-2010, 12:14 PM
The man who totally revolutionised fantasy artwork, and whose paintings inspired the entire genre to create and recreate new work, has died at a hospital near his home in Boca Grande, Florida after suffering a stroke. Frank Frazetta was 82.

Frank Frazetta began his career working in comic books including EC and National, before spending a decade on the Líil Abner strip and returning to comics to work on the likes of the Little Anny Fanny strip for Playboy.

His first poster for the movie Whatís New Pussycat changed his life as he realised he could make a lot more money from this line of work. His covers for Conan novels became the new standard for the fantasy genre and saw him work in this style for most of the rest of his life. Movies, music, comics and games were inspired by his work, and he remains one of the the most influential painter in his field.

While the last few months of his life was dogged by division and accusation within his family, after the death of his wife and manager Ellie Frazetta, these matters were cleared up recently and reconciliations made between the family.

Iím told funeral arrangements will be announced shortly.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/05/10/frank-frazetta-passes/

DBMiller
05-10-2010, 12:44 PM
He was always my favorite.

Nangleator
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
A big loss. Wish I could peruse his pictures right now, but alas, I'm at work.

Andrewstopheles
05-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Was one of the most respected artists out there.

shrox
05-11-2010, 02:41 PM
There were some crap 80's artists and some good 80's artists. Frazetta was a great artist.

geothefaust
05-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah... Sad news. Inspired me when I was a wee lad. Great artist...

mikala
05-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Modern standards hmmmm... Jonas Brothers and all manner of crap from now a days.
I'll take Frank Frazetta's classic works over the pretenders of today that admit to (for a large part) emulating Frank in one form or another.