PDA

View Full Version : Importing Alphas and Surface Editor Dilemma

spardacus
09-12-2003, 06:56 AM
Greetings to all ...

I would like to know if and how I can import images from PShop that I have already created alpha channels for. I have many images that are clipped in PShop and hope I dont have to recreate all those paths in LW.

Also, for some reason, my Surface Editor in LW is no longer displaying the Specularity, Glossiness, Reflection, etc of my surfaces. Everything is flat. I get the luminousity, but nothing else.

Any clues?

Thanks,
i am spardcus

toby
09-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Not sure what you mean about the pshop images, if they're 32 bit, the alpha should show up in LW no problem.

In the surface editor, make sure the 'display' drop-down list next to the preview is set properly ('render output'). It must be set to 'luminosity'.

spardacus
09-15-2003, 07:16 AM
First, I can't get my Import EPSF Loader to work ... I get an error "Custom operation failed. Cannot load external plug-in file <Hardrive:Applications:Lightwave 3D 7.5:Plugins:Input-Output:EPSF.p>

Secondly, the only "Non-LWO" objects my modeler will see are jpegs ... jpegs don't carry the alpha.

I have tried saving EPS and RAW file formats - to no avail.

I want to be able to build an object from the alpha channel I have tediously made in PShop, then apply the image as you receommned in the luminosity channel for surfacing.

First I have to be able to import a path, or a file with an outline channel to get an object made from the channel. I would like to do this from PShop and Freehand or Illustrator.

Thanks Toby.

mlinde
09-15-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by spardacus
First, I can't get my Import EPSF Loader to work ... I get an error "Custom operation failed. Cannot load external plug-in file <Hardrive:Applications:Lightwave 3D 7.5:Plugins:Input-Output:EPSF.p>
Your EPSF.p plug-in is in the wrong directory. Go look through the LW plugin folders to find it and move it to input-output, or in Modeler, use the option-F11 keycommands to bring up the "edit plug-ins" panel, use "scan directory" to select the plug-ins directory and re-add all plug-ins.

spardacus
09-15-2003, 09:28 AM
Thank you mlinde

I have successfully executed your instruction, and I did get the import window ... for a moment. Upon trying to import a eps file Modeler crashed. When I restarted apprently the directory was lost again. I had to re-execute your routine and now Modeler has crashed again.

Any fixes?

What am I supposed to be able to do with this import "capability".

Are only eps files with clipping paths (alpha channels) recognized. What about Freehand or Illustrator EPS files?

thanks again,
i am spardacus

paintboy
09-15-2003, 10:10 AM
think i just figured out your problem.
eps import is for vector eps file from illustrator/freehand paths/type etc.
not a rasterized eps.
your imagemaps with alphas should come out of photoshop/paintediting program and imported through the image editor.Psd. or tga work fine.
to get mlindes advise to work.
redo his instructions, once plug in directory is scanned and the new plug location found,quit modeler. this will write a pref that hold the new info and it should be in the mix when modeler is relaunched. since you crashed before it quit you have to tell it again.

spardacus
09-15-2003, 10:34 AM
So, if I understand correctly, my PShop alphas can really be nothing more than surface elements, and any path or channel created from outside LW must come in from Freehand or Illustrator as eps files.

So I can't bring in an aplha for shape and apply the image for surface. Bummer.

I still cannot get Modeler to recognize my eps files, even after what appears to be a successful execution of mlinde's instructions.

All I get is LW is "Uable to read the file".

I have tried bringing them in as Closed Polys with Poly Lines, Closed Polys, Splines etc ... no good.

?

eblu
09-15-2003, 10:41 AM
no.
EPS is not an appropriate format for what you appear to be trying.

LW does not do print, thus it looks at eps files as lists of curves used in modeling. If you have a bitmap eps file... LW will choke on it.
PSD files can have transparent layers. Picts, TGAs, TIFFs, and many other formats can support alphas, and are supported in LW....

make sure your eps files are saved compatible to Illustrator 5.5, and delete any bitmaps.

paintboy
09-15-2003, 11:22 AM
"So I can't bring in an aplha for shape and apply the image for surface."
ermmm...well yes and no.
you can have an alpha as a clip map(objectpropertys) on a single poly and apply it as texture map as well.
if you have created an "illustration" or art work in illustrator which you want to use as a single map it would be best to export from illustrator as a photoshop file
and use it that way, kinda hard to tell what you are trying to do?
if you have created and outline shape or vector path to use for modeling and object or text then eps import is the ticket, but if you try to load a raster eps
that way its gonna faint fer sure.