PDA

View Full Version : Cloth FX Help Please

zapper1998
05-09-2010, 12:55 PM
3cables-playback

Scene file

Trying to figure out how this is done.. ??
I can not get the cloth to work.. ??
After I clear the mdd file from the scene.
And do the calculate, how do I get the cables to do the movement.. ??
Is there some thing I am not turning on or something.. ??

Its and old scene that came with LW in the Dynamics Folder ..

I want to animate some Cables and want to use this simple method
But cant seem to get the cloth to work..

Michael

Cageman
05-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I had a look at your scene and did some adjustments as well as adding selectionsets to use with SockMonkey (that should be setup and ready to take a look at). The Cloth is not tweaked at all, so the result is kind of funky. :D Some notes about the approach further down...

You will have issues with collisions though, since the cables/wires will collide with the rotating thing. I believe I added a collision object and toyed around somewhat to see if it would be an easy fix, but my conclusion is that one would have to redesign on how things are intersecting (the wires intersecting with the moving thing does cause issues regarding collision). However, now that I just wrote that what I never tested was to create a selectionset/weightmap to isolate exactly what parts of the cables are going to collide with the moving thing. That could actually solve the collision issue.

Anyho... my suggestion for that kind of setup would be to make use of two-point polychains and Metalink the highres object(s) instead of doing it the way you are now. The really tricky thing with your setup is to make sure the cables are maintaining volume, which would be alot easier to achive with two-point polychains.

Oh well... I've attached the content. :)

SplineGod
05-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey Mike,
The setup youre using wont work.
It needs sockmonkey setup to hold the ends in place,
a proxy object to metalink the cables to and clothfx applied to the proxy object. Dissect the scene Ive supplied.
Heres one that does though I probably wouldnt go with clothfx.
Heres a simpler setup that uses bones and IK.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/simple_hose.zip

zapper1998
05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
ok
Thank you
I will take a look and learn from it
Most appreciated thank you again

SplineGod
05-10-2010, 12:27 AM
both files are pretty simple. The IK setup works all the time rather then needing to be calculated :)