PDA

View Full Version : problem with the bevel

baffero
09-12-2003, 06:37 AM
hello

I have just started working with lightwave and am doing a tutorial form inside lightwave (Dan Ablan).
I am currently working with the tutorial in which you build a skyscraper. I have made the basic shape, and the next step is to make round edges at the top with use of the bevel tool (numeric)

The turorial uses the following values for the bevel:
Shift: 1m
+/-: 0m
Inset: 0 m
+/-: 0 m
New surface: unchecked
edges: inner

I used these values but the problem is that the top of the building comes of instead of the rounded edges, I have tried using different values, but it all leads to the same result: the top comes off.

see attachment

can someone help? I know this is a stupid question and I am wasting your time....

many thanxe in advance:D

BeeVee
09-12-2003, 07:01 AM
Are you sure Inset is supposed to be at 0?

B

omeone
09-12-2003, 08:12 AM
here's a simlified version of what Dan is trying to get you to achieve.

the cylinder on the left has a normal bevel of Shift 1m and Inset 1m.
notice the cylinder on the right has two extra rows of polygons. 1 above the bavel row and one below the bevel row.

the lowest row had a Shift 1m and Inset 0m, the highest row has Shift 0m and Inset 1m.

As Dan says, this is to prevent smoothing errors.

So the correct order of beveling ops is:
1. Shift 1m, Inset 0m
2. Shift 1m, Inset 1m
3. Shift 0m, Inset 1m

Maxx
09-12-2003, 09:35 AM
From the wireframe, it looks like your polys are there - just flipped. Try selecting the new geometry and hitting 'f'. If it's a pain to select, you can always set the bevel to creat new surface, then select the new surface through the statistics panel and flip. Rename the surface back to the original and all's light and puppy dogs...

HTH!

baffero
09-13-2003, 03:41 AM
ok, I tried the above:

use of the bevel 3 times with:
1 shift = 1, inset=0
2 shift = 1, inset=1
3 shift = 0, inset=1

I have also used the function New Surface

I noticed that the new polygons that I have created are flipped,
but after using the bevel three times the edges point outwards, and not inwards: see pic. And indeed selecting polygons that are flipped are a pain, so I called up the polygon statistics window: but what polygones should I select: also see pic??

thanx in advance

Maxx
09-13-2003, 05:06 AM
I've checked the book (and the errata website) and your insets are what it says to do, but try it again and make them negative.

As for the polygon selection, click the arrow on the "surf" line, select the surface you just created from the dropdown. Then click the "+" next to surf to select those polys.

toby
09-13-2003, 08:19 PM
Is that the object that Dan Alban wants you to use? The points are too close together for Beveling, they will cross over each other ( that's why they're 'outward' instead of 'inward', they passed each other and kept going. ) and flip / skew the polygons 'til you won't know which way is up.

Use a simple object like omeone used, until you've got a firm grasp of the tecnique.

baffero
09-14-2003, 04:51 AM
The points are too close together but how about using smaller values for inset and shift??

What does the +/- option exactly mean while using the bevel tool, since you can fill in a numeric value??

and Maxx about the polygon selection: I cant select anything on the surf line...what am I doing wrong??

Maxx
09-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Sorry - prolly should have been a bit more specific. Click the down arrow on the Surf: line - right above the 18698 on the Part:(none) line in your screengrab.

The +/- on the Bevel numeric (I think) allows some jitter to the bevel offset and inset values. Each of the points will move a random amount within the range created by the input. I think. Unfortunately, I can't try it out right now - gotta jet. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it turns out!

BTW - it would prolly be a good idea to read up on the statistics panel in the manual - it's a lifesaver for me, anyway!

toby
09-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by baffero
The points are too close together but how about using smaller values for inset and shift??

Fine, but you will quickly run out of space and will have to stop insetting the bevels - you can use scale at that point but it's not as good.

As far as the 'flipped' polygons, they're more likely twisted (imagine a 4-point polygon, select 2 of the points and rotate them 180) - you should do the bevel so that it doesn't create them, they will cause more problems later