PDA

View Full Version : Motion blur based on surface?

marchermitte
05-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Hello.
I have this chainsaw, all in one mesh (using the morph-track trick) and I was wondering if there was a way to apply different motion blur lenght based on the surfaces. (the chain would blur 500% to increase the feel of speed on the blades, and the rest would monly get 100% for instance.)

Thank you.

marchermitte
05-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Well, I guess the answer is no. I'll "fix" It in post then.
I thought one of thoses master in expression would come up with something!
;-)

Captain Obvious
05-10-2010, 03:46 AM
No, it's not possible for the very simple reason that Lightwave doesn't know which surface it's render until it's sampled the scene at that pixel, and it has to commit to a certain amount of motion blur *before* that. So everything has to have the same amount of blur.

Why not just speed up the motion by 500 % instead?

TeZzy
05-10-2010, 05:04 AM
Do what Captain Obvious said, just ramp up the speed of the chains.

Or you could mess around with motion vectors but requires reelsmart plugin(a post effect for After Effects and for others programs maybe?)

marchermitte
05-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Increasing the speed of the blade doesn't work as I'm using the morph trick to move the blade forward. More than 100% in the morph intensity makes the blade behave wierdly, grow in some spots, jump, etc. I tried as well to render the chainsaw body with the blade beeing 100% transparent with, say, 50% Moblur and the blade in another pass with the body alpha set to 0% (alpha black) and the Moblur at 200 -300 %. (But then the body alpha blur doesn't match the othe pass at 50% moblur)
I'll try the realsmart vector blur then.
Thank you for clearing things up for me.

Captain Obvious
05-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Or you could mess around with motion vectors but requires reelsmart plugin(a post effect for After Effects and for others programs maybe?)
Many compositing suites come with a built-in vector blur filter. Fusion's works well enough, and works fine with Lightwave's floating point motion vector output.

zarti
05-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Hello.
I have this chainsaw, all in one mesh (using the morph-track trick) and I was wondering if there was a way to apply different motion blur lenght based on the surfaces. (the chain would blur 500% to increase the feel of speed on the blades, and the rest would monly get 100% for instance.)

Thank you.

you may try this ( depending on the animation );

- scale the timing-animation of everything you want m-blured 100% by 5 ( five times slower )
- render every 5th frame

plan B;

render them sepparately ... =)

marchermitte
05-10-2010, 06:53 AM
If the blade and the body where two seperate layers, that would make It simpler.
I'll go ahead and try your ideas and see what could work.

Thank you for your time and brain ressources!