PDA

View Full Version : UNITY - fbx - uv - HELP!

ZE_COLMEIA
05-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Hey, i found that many of us are using/testing/working Unity system, I am in a serious problem here about using dual uv maps for lightmap purposes, can somebody help me? I found a script from MentalFish, works merging uv maps from 2 objects, an amazing work but just works with simple meshes (at least here) and I found another one that works with .obj files but it doesnt work well here, can anyone help me with this?

Thanks alot!

MentalFish
05-08-2010, 02:51 AM
As of right now you're best bet would be to try and get it over to another app and export it from there. Modo can read lwo and also can export multilayer fbx, but back in the days when i tried that stuff i still got some unpredictable results on whether or not it actually exported it correctly.

In terms of tips and tricks of how to get stuff out of modo, you can take a look at this: http://www.hankendesigns.com/Portfolio/Scripts.html

ZE_COLMEIA
05-08-2010, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the fast answer, mate, I am trying some different ways to deal with this issue, if i find one i will post something.

ZE_COLMEIA
05-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I tried the solution, its a cool way to work but it crashes every time, i found in a forum that it is a win xp issue, btw, Thank you!

ZE_COLMEIA
05-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Well, I tried many other things, without sucess :/ I the question I have is: If I am able to have 2 uv sets in the same mesh, how can I choose beetween them? ? ?

There is something wrong with Unity here, If i use the option "Swap UVS" nothing happens, is this issue just mine?

CF01
05-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Swap UVs works fine for me in Unity. You probably don't have two UV sets in the fbx that you are importing. I've been exporting from Modo. Hopefully Keystone gets released soon.

ZE_COLMEIA
05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5100/unityissue.jpg

well, I have 2 uvs and assure you that I tried much to find what is wrong, if I use MentalFish´s script it works fine (with simple meshes only). Digging the forums I only found PC users with that problem and only found MAC users telling that the option "Swap uvs" works fine, if my theory is correct you may be a MAC user :) .

Thanks for the interest.

Lamont
05-09-2010, 07:05 PM
May past experience with LW FBX was I had to hand edit the 2nd UV channel to get it to show up in other apps. Something is up with the formatting.

ZE_COLMEIA
05-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Well, the problem i see here isnt about the number of uv sets I have, a friend exported it in a correct way using modo and it does very well, the problem here is to assign the UV maps in unity.

Lamont
05-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Well, the problem i see here isnt about the number of uv sets I have, a friend exported it in a correct way using modo and it does very well, the problem here is to assign the UV maps in unity.Yes, I was not able to see or assign even though the info was "there". Hand edited the file, and all worked. Some apps saw the 2nd UV set but the data was blank, some just didn't see it at all.

ZE_COLMEIA
05-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Finally I found the nasty problem, well, I still dont know if it is a problem of unity import, modo export or anything but the only way I found to make everything work in a right way was to make every object with just one material and the object must have just one layer, this way, even the "swap uvs" option works.

Thanks alot for the advices!!!!