PDA

View Full Version : San Diego LW Users Group Meeting

DigiLusionist
09-12-2003, 03:00 AM
The first meeting of the San Diego Users Group will be taking place in the month of October. I am looking for a reliable place to hold the meetings, and I'll post here when and where it will be.

Once I've got the site, I'll see if I can schedule an interesting guest to demonstrate a particular aspect of LW.

If there are costs for special event meetings (like guest speaker travel expenses, or space rental, swag, or munchies), it would be appreciated if members help to offset those costs with a nominal meeting contribution (no more than $5.00). Regular meetings will be free.

Let me know who's going to participate. Thanks!

kevman3d
09-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Hey, sounds great!

I would suggest one place to hunt down for location would be any colleges or universities. Its always great Public Relations for schools to be seen 'supporting the community' and you might find they are more then happy to let you borrow a room...

Post up here how it goes! I'd be keen to hear what happened! :)

Kev

DigiLusionist
09-18-2003, 12:37 AM
I am trying to locate the user group in a centralized area so everyone in the county has as equal access as possible.

So, I've contacted every Jr. College and University in the county that lies around the I-5 corridor, and along the I-15/52 corridor.

The only times rooms seem to be available are on week days or weekends.

I'm going to shoot for Saturday Morning from 9 am to 11 am.

Is this going to work for people?

hunter
10-01-2003, 05:29 PM
I'd like to attend. Wish more people were replying or are they all replying through pm's?

DigiLusionist
10-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Hunter, no, there haven't been that many replies. Posting them here is good, though.

I have called all over and every place I'd tried wants $25-50 per hour. Including elementary schools!

I'm going to look into getting not-for-profit status. Not sure how to do that, but if I had it for the user group, we'd pay nothing to utilize space at a school, university, or city-run room.

Talk to you guys later..!

kevman3d
10-04-2003, 11:28 PM
Bummer situation on the location - Its usually the only thing you need really - How about talking to the local community centers? Sometimes they may have info on where you could go if you explain your situation?

Another place to try are religious community groups - I've had some guys offer their church hall as a place to set up. The only thing they usually ask is that no alcohol be consumed, but that's usually OK with most punters.

Could ask if there is someone with a large room, basement or attic that might be happy to have people over for a meeting?

Otherwise, find someone with LW on a laptop, and get everybody to pop down to the local bar and sit around a table and talk! :)

However if you have to pay, then just ask people to offer a small fee at the door like $5 or so, and see if you can spend a few bucks to get a few snacks and drinks. You might be amazed how many people are more then happy to give you a little money to help pay for things...

DigiLusionist
10-05-2003, 12:10 AM
Great suggestions, Kevman. It IS rather weird that the "community" no longer has free access to rooms in places that are supposed to service the community. Even the city libraries want $25 per hour for conference rooms!!

I'm going to talk to our church tomorrow and see if I can use the presentation room there. It's got audio/visual set up perfect for a user group. Crossing my fingers...

The budget crisis here in California seems to have caused everyone to want to try to make money somehow...

DigiLusionist
10-07-2003, 01:52 PM
I put in a request at my church. They're going to run it by the facilities manager.

As for forming a non-profit for this, I don't have $400+ lying around, so that possibility is out.

I'll update as soon as I hear back from my contact...

kevman3d
10-12-2003, 01:16 AM
Good luck - Hope it all happens for you. Be cool to hear once you get that first meeting underway!

j_j
12-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Man it would be great to have a users group is San Diego. I just spotted your post and am very interested in attending, I hope it is still on.
JJ

Tommy
12-18-2003, 12:26 PM
I Have found a place to that will host a lightwave group
We have 2 choices,
1-5 people we can meet in el cajon

We also have the option of meeting in spring valley if the group is up to 15 people
The host has agreed to supply equipment as well, a Dual athlon 2.8 with lightwave and a toaster to boot

Who is interested, I am willing to work with someone to do this, I simply don't have time to take this on by myself.

We could start as soon as Late January

-tom

:)

DigiLusionist
12-18-2003, 12:32 PM
Tommy, that's great.

I am redoing my entire floor downstairs. After this month I will be able to host LW User Group meetings.

Contact me and we can arrange things.

Roger
858-693-6053

j_j
12-18-2003, 03:09 PM
This is great news. Looking forward to the first meeting.
JJ

kevman3d
12-18-2003, 05:34 PM
Fantastic news! Go, SDLWUG! :)

Oh, and Merry Christmas....