PDA

View Full Version : Does LW work with nvidia 3D Vision?

vncnt
05-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Restrictions?

erikals
05-10-2010, 10:02 AM
afaik, nope.

arsad
05-10-2010, 01:08 PM
works, no restrictions ;-)

rapscallion
05-12-2010, 06:08 PM
when you ask, "Does LW work with nvidia 3D Vision?", what exactly do you want to know if it can do?

3D Vision is for watching stereo imagery, but everybody knows that Lightwave's interface doesn't have any sort of convenient real-time stereo playback yet...so if you want to work with 3D Vision enabled inside layout, then the answer is 'no'...but if you are asking if there is some way to watch stereo renders created in Lightwave with 3D Vision, then the answer is 'yes'...3D Vision doesn't care where or how you make your stereoscopic files...

if you want a more clear answer, please provide a more clear question ;)

good luck!

vncnt
05-13-2010, 03:04 AM
if you want a more clear answer, please provide a more clear question ;)

Now you mention it: I'm interested in both.

So, is the OpenGL viewport represented in stereo just because 3D Vision is activated?
Would that be handled by the operating system or would that require an update from NewTek?

And the second question: how to create a video file from LW stereo files that can be played back with a 3D Vision capable player?

I've seen websites that mention the possibility to encode to a WMV file with dual video streams. Or may there is a 3D Vision stereo player that can separate the odd and even frames inside a single video stream in 100Hz (PAL) or 120Hz (ntsc)?

I want to have some feeling that it can be done before buying new equipment.

rapscallion
05-14-2010, 01:40 AM
Now you mention it: I'm interested in both.

So, is the OpenGL viewport represented in stereo just because 3D Vision is activated?
Would that be handled by the operating system or would that require an update from NewTek?

And the second question: how to create a video file from LW stereo files that can be played back with a 3D Vision capable player?

I've seen websites that mention the possibility to encode to a WMV file with dual video streams. Or may there is a 3D Vision stereo player that can separate the odd and even frames inside a single video stream in 100Hz (PAL) or 120Hz (ntsc)?

I want to have some feeling that it can be done before buying new equipment.

In order for Lightwave to have Stereo in the viewport, the people at Newtek would have to create some code that communicated directly with the Nvidia drivers. As things are now, if you were to activate 3DVision, it wouldn't affect your Lightwave Layout, because there is nothing in the Lightwave Layout that would let Nvidia's drivers know when/where to apply the stereo. When you are playing a video game and have 3DVision activated, it knows exactly what to do, because it is just taking what Nvidia graphic card drivers have been doing for years and multiplying the process to give you two simultaneous and synchronized views instead of one. But Lightwave has nothing like that to communicate with Nvidia's drivers - though I would guess that it wouldn't be too hard to apply if they really wanted to. It is no secret that Newtek's implementation of OpenGL and DirectX is way behind the times in its current state; I'd be very surprised if we don't see huge improvements when Core goes 100% official.

As for making the videos to play back with your 3DVision Player and the 3DVision glasses, that is the easy part; I explained it in some detail awhile back on this thread here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1011653#post1011653

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to go ahead and ask.

vncnt
05-16-2010, 04:24 AM
it wouldn't affect your Lightwave Layout, because there is nothing in the Lightwave Layout that would let Nvidia's drivers know when/where to apply the stereo.

I hoped it would translate well because of the 3D OpenGL instructions to the GPU driver contains XYZ info, light & lens data. Guess there is more involved.

As for making the videos to play back with your 3DVision Player and the 3DVision glasses, that is the easy part; I explained it in some detail awhile back on this thread here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1011653#post1011653

Sounds like fun. I just downloaded the plugin and next week do some more 3D experiments in Fusion6.

I'm exploring the possibilities for instruction videos, showing the handling & use of equipment.

Thanks!

05-18-2010, 05:03 AM
Have a look at my thread currently a few above this one.
NVIDIA were pretty helpful, but did point out;
"3D Vision is not designed for development use. It is for the home consumer and has some limitations such as can only be run in full screen mode."
As I have found, you can set it up on a multi monitor system, the 3D monitor has to be the Windows primary monitor for the set-up process to work(even though you also have to manually select which monitor the stereo video player runs full screen on).
The system does display 3D images & video beautifully,
BUT only in fullscreen on primary monitor.
If it's not switched to fullscreen it just shows side-by-side or whatever.
It will not install (& therefore not run) if it does not see officially compatible video card (or one tweaked to pretend to be so) and monitor,TV or projectors which are on it's internal list.

KorbenD
06-30-2010, 02:08 PM
They have announced they're planning on adding support for windowed 3D modes (the Quadro versions already support this, as well as OpenGL), mainly for applications to show 3D content such as Internet Explorer.

*When* they'll add that support is the big question.