PDA

View Full Version : New MakeHuman

biliousfrog
05-07-2010, 07:59 AM
MakeHuman is an open source (so it's completely free), innovative software for the modelling of 3D humanoid characters. It's still in alpha, but already usable. Take a look.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_U_UAchQSYOc/S-MzlwDObhI/AAAAAAAAANs/iQMUFsHE1qA/s320/video_alpha5.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVkOtu5LaCg)

Download here:

https://sites.google.com/site/makehumandocs/download

biliousfrog
05-07-2010, 08:02 AM
The previous version was great for ZBrush base meshes, the new version boasts many improvements including better topology...and a breast firmness slider that would amuse me for hours alone.

prometheus
05-07-2010, 08:27 AM
make human alpha 3 was troublesome with exports as I recall..and overall
interface for that seemed to have an odd approach.

Michael

biliousfrog
05-07-2010, 08:32 AM
make human alpha 3 was troublesome with exports as I recall..and overall
interface for that seemed to have an odd approach.

Michael

Yes, there was a point between the first version of the software and this revised version where a lot of things were broken but, purely from the videos, it looks like they have managed to get it back on track. I'd like to try the latest version out but I don't have time at the moment.

Dodgy
05-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Seems like every new version I see has a completely new interface :P

hunter
05-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I use the older version and you still can't pose in this alpha like the old 0.9.1. But as you can see in a single export I got a mesh and a low poly proxy and the blob in the middle is polys for hair. Looks like you can export guides for hair as well. And there are also joints in there (see inset). How would you go about converting those to actual joints in LW?

biliousfrog
05-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Someone mentioned that it can directly export to Blender with all the joints, perhaps the clue is in that...maybe some other format like FBX?

hunter
05-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Yeah. There is a blender specific exporter. Maybe a way to export rig from blender to LW?

https://sites.google.com/site/makehumandocs/blender-export-and-mhx

Nangleator
05-07-2010, 01:50 PM
My attempts to export hair just gave me points.

Where the heck is the mesh density control? That looks like a big improvement!

Nangleator
05-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Oh, never mind. It's the proxy object that has the lighter mesh.

Shnoze Shmon
05-07-2010, 03:44 PM
...and a breast firmness slider that would amuse me for hours alone.

Yeah, when they realize that with this new feature the 3D crowd is only a fraction of their customer base those 3 sliders will become 12 sliders and they will charge a lot of money for it.

littlewaves
05-11-2010, 12:30 AM
do they have visemes yet? I'm still on Osx 10.4 so can't actually try myself.

littlewaves
05-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Seems like every new version I see has a completely new interface :P

yeah it does almost seem like they start from scratch every time. Having said which it's obviously a labour of love for the guys involved and it does get better each time.

prometheus
05-11-2010, 12:49 AM
I just donīt like the file menu requester and how exporting and saving seem
to work, by the way it doesnīt seem to export out anything, the previous versions did..but I just canīt find the objects.

no way to direct to a saving directory, and according to the help files
thereīs only an experimental obj saver by pressing the e button?
That doesnīt seem to work thou.

Michael

h2oStudios
05-11-2010, 12:53 AM
I just donīt like the file menu requester and how exporting and saving seem
to work, by the way it doesnīt seem to export out anything, the previous versions did..but I just canīt find the objects.

no way to direct to a saving directory, and according to the help files
thereīs only an experimental obj saver by pressing the e button?
That doesnīt seem to work thou.

Michael

the export end up in your MyDocuments\MakeHuman\ kind of deal on Win. Had to figure that one out myself, lol. Yeah, it's kind of sucky not being able to direct to a folder, but hey this thing is still in dev.:D

prometheus
05-11-2010, 01:11 AM
I really should have known that..and I thought I had checked that, but obviously not, thanks anyway I found them.

Yeah since itīs in beta, one should be tolerant with such things I guess, and itīs actually open source and free.

the help file wasnt giving proper directions to where it is saved, as I understood it it should have been saved in the same folder as the makehuman executable wich it doesnīt.

Itīs of course better to have it saved on my documents and make human, so
itīs the help files that needs to be corrected, and a better file requester to
navigate to your prefered directories.

Michael

Dodgy
05-11-2010, 01:48 AM
It has been in beta for over a few years now, I might have hoped that someone could have seen fit to add in a file requester, but there you go.

littlewaves
05-11-2010, 02:36 AM
It has been in beta for over a few years now, I might have hoped that someone could have seen fit to add in a file requester, but there you go.

What is it with open source software and file requesters! Are they that hard to do?

The MH team seem to concentrate more on perpetually tweaking the base mesh rather than progressing the app towards something more user friendly. It seems every few months they radically rework the mesh and start on all the targets from scratch. Same with the user interface

It's an interesting project to watch though. I used to check on it a lot more frequently but now once every six months seems to be adequate.

prometheus
05-11-2010, 03:18 AM
the exported human gives a decent mesh not to overloaded with polys
around 15082 for default it seems and all quads and switching to subdivision
surfaces are working without lagging to much.

No scaling options to choose from at export, so it ends up with imports of
humans without control of proper heights.
Getting textures out isnīt that easy either without conversion tools.

Daz studio has a little better support for textures, thou the meshes might
be a little heavier in polycount.

Michael

littlewaves
05-11-2010, 04:53 AM
yeah I've always found Daz/Poser and even MH to be a little high res for my liking.

Certainly Victoria and Michael meshes are way too big for putting more than a couple of characters in a scene (IMHO)

The MH low res proxy that Hunter posted a screenshot of looks interesting though assuming their UV maps are lined up?

Philbert
05-11-2010, 06:11 AM
That's great, just yesterday I was wondering if they ever got around to up[dating this. I used the last one to make a couple of generic male and female models to use as bases in 3D-Coat. It's nice for voxels because it doesn't make any difference if it has a high poly count or not, since you're not actually using the MH mesh.

Nangleator
05-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Getting textures out isnīt that easy either without conversion tools.
There's a .TIF buried in the folders that fits the pre-made UV. No conversion for me. Or are you talking about channels other than color?

I love that everything is done with morphing. (I accidentally created a shemale my first time playing with the sliders.) It certainly could have been a lighter mesh, on the female model, but it's okay.

I like the ability to edit the face, though most of the individual morphs seem unusable.

prometheus
05-27-2010, 05:47 AM
There's a .TIF buried in the folders that fits the pre-made UV. No conversion for me. Or are you talking about channels other than color?

I really cant find that thereīs any texture exported out, checking out
folders in this location finds nothing....
C:\Users\Michael\Documents\makehuman

neither does this location wich contains the exported obj files and mtl files.
C:\Users\Michael\Documents\makehuman\exports

upon loading the obj file in lightwave it prompts for..
C:\Users\Michael\Documents\makehuman\exports\-clamp on data\textures\texture.tif
But thereīs no such folder

or are you refering to textures buried in the mtl file?

this is the Make human 1.0 pre alpha Im talking about here.

Michael

Nangleator
05-27-2010, 06:34 AM
\Makehuman\data\textures\texture.tif

Copy it over to your content directory, or just link to it.