PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray 3-D

LazyCoder
05-05-2010, 07:32 PM
I've been toying around with the idea of assembling my own 3-D home theater system, the RIGHT way, not with some rushed out 3d hd tv, but with TWO projectors, displaying a DIFFERENT image at the SAME TIME.

One thing I haven't been able to find a straight answer on is the CONTENT side of it. Blu Ray 3d, it's coming. They're using some H.264 variant called the Multiview Codec, and they love saying that its two whole images (one 3d frame) for the price of 1.5 images. How is this? Is it just the compression working well because of similarities in the two similar images, or are they doing some kind of slimy BS where they do a full frame in the left eye and a half a frame in the right eye, then a half frame in the left eye and a full frame in the right eye.

I found a really (seemingly) helpful guide on what kind of hardware you need for this kind of setup: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16205457#post16205457

I figure I'm tech savvy enough to handle the setup and the circular polarizers, the real problem I can see is how to get the content TO the projectors.

HDMI 1.4 is out, and it seems at the moment to be the ONLY means of a single cable delivering a 3d picture, and none of the players I've seen have, for instance, two dvi or component video outputs.

I also don't much like the idea of a SINGLE 3d projector, it'll probably insist on doing some kind of frame-sequential 3d thing (headaches), and the bulbs would be SUPER expensive, as opposed to the non-3d projector bulbs we've had for eons. Not to mention, a frame sequential setup will require active shutter glasses, which I am adamantly opposed to (they're super expensive, probably break easily, have to be recharged). I'd rather be able to use the realD glasses from the theater. Passive glasses with circular polarized lenses are like ~$15, yet I get a pair for free with a $12 ticket to "How to Train Your Dragon". Odd... Well the expensive ones look better... but who's wearing 3-D glasses for the look??? :lol:

Well I completely forgot where I was going... any thoughts?

erikals
05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
i guess my suggestion is to wait, as it usually takes some time before the technology is ready as of baby-bugz.

Titus
05-06-2010, 07:57 AM
I've been toying around with the idea of assembling my own 3-D home theater system, the RIGHT way, not with some rushed out 3d hd tv, but with TWO projectors, displaying a DIFFERENT image at the SAME TIME.

One thing I haven't been able to find a straight answer on is the CONTENT side of it. Blu Ray 3d, it's coming. They're using some H.264 variant called the Multiview Codec, and they love saying that its two whole images (one 3d frame) for the price of 1.5 images. How is this? Is it just the compression working well because of similarities in the two similar images, or are they doing some kind of slimy BS where they do a full frame in the left eye and a half a frame in the right eye, then a half frame in the left eye and a full frame in the right eye.

I found a really (seemingly) helpful guide on what kind of hardware you need for this kind of setup: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16205457#post16205457

I figure I'm tech savvy enough to handle the setup and the circular polarizers, the real problem I can see is how to get the content TO the projectors.

HDMI 1.4 is out, and it seems at the moment to be the ONLY means of a single cable delivering a 3d picture, and none of the players I've seen have, for instance, two dvi or component video outputs.

I also don't much like the idea of a SINGLE 3d projector, it'll probably insist on doing some kind of frame-sequential 3d thing (headaches), and the bulbs would be SUPER expensive, as opposed to the non-3d projector bulbs we've had for eons. Not to mention, a frame sequential setup will require active shutter glasses, which I am adamantly opposed to (they're super expensive, probably break easily, have to be recharged). I'd rather be able to use the realD glasses from the theater. Passive glasses with circular polarized lenses are like ~$15, yet I get a pair for free with a $12 ticket to "How to Train Your Dragon". Odd... Well the expensive ones look better... but who's wearing 3-D glasses for the look??? :lol:

Well I completely forgot where I was going... any thoughts?

Forget about it! HDMI is a consumer closed technology, it's designed to not allow a consumer to manipulate the signal. Just try to unplug your HDMI cable from the TV while watching a BR and connect it to another tv, it will not work.

LazyCoder
05-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Well I just hope sooner or later someone makes a blu ray 3d player that has TWO DVI ports so I can easily hook up two projectors.

EDIT: Actually... I wonder if I could have a computer be an intermediary here... Plug HDMI into pc and have that do a dual display output to the projectors... But yea, I'll definitely be waiting a while for this technology to reach maturity.