PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #81

Traveler
05-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #81 - What's hiding under the bed?

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This week's topic: "What's hiding under the bed?"

It's time to show your monster! Big or small, tentacles instead of arms, three or more eyes? Does it walk on two legs, 6, 8 or perhaps none at all? Lot's of possibilities here :) Good luck!

Time Limit - 90 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday 12th May 2010, 2200 GMT

shrox
05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
An old Playboy magazine with the pages stuck together?

R.Feeney
05-05-2010, 04:27 PM
The tentacles, the wings, the teeth and the eyes oh my god the eyes!!!

Sorry drug induced flashback :)

This one should be fun

colkai
05-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Tick tock ...tick tock... (for the Dr Who fans amongst us)

sampei
05-06-2010, 05:28 AM
awesome topic!!! :thumbsup:

voriax
05-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Hm, has been a long time since I've joined in one of these, so figured I'd have a play.. Went the old-fashioned monster under the bed route.

Dunno about you people, but I have nightmares about spiders...

No proper render yet - texture and lighting will come soon.
Modelling time approx 75mins..

Traveler
05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
That's creepy!
Looking forward to a textured scene with appropriate lighting.

Iain
05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Great start voriax!

Shrox, your 'monster' sounds very familiar :hey:

oliversimonnet
05-06-2010, 05:32 PM
a man that is he best idea for "What's hiding under the bed" i would have never thort of that
love it

R.Feeney
05-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Great work voriax

One of the residents from under my bed:twak:

Hopper
05-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I wish I could model this week. This one sounds like fun.

But for what it's worth ... This is what I have hiding under my bed... I just hope the monster doesn't get it first.

http://comdotslashnet.com/images/my-remi.jpg

oobievision
05-06-2010, 09:52 PM
lol why the Lazer site on the shotgun, are you shooting slugs? lol

JeffrySG
05-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Hm, has been a long time since I've joined in one of these, so figured I'd have a play.. Went the old-fashioned monster under the bed route.

Dunno about you people, but I have nightmares about spiders...

Modelling time approx 75mins..
Wow... that came out great! I actually like the render like this but I'm sure it would look slick with realistic textures too! :thumbsup:

I wish I could model this week. This one sounds like fun.

But for what it's worth ... This is what I have hiding under my bed... I just hope the monster doesn't get it first.

http://comdotslashnet.com/images/my-remi.jpg
Pretty cool. I was toying with the idea of getting one of these (in black):
http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php
But I never owned a firearm and not sure how I feel about having one in the house with children, etc. It does look friggin' cool though. :D

Hopper
05-06-2010, 10:10 PM
lol why the Lazer site on the shotgun, are you shooting slugs? lol
It's a 115 lumen light attached to the mag extender (8 shots total). Lasers are for sissies ;-) Plus, lasers are pointless when you can't see the bastard walking around your house at night in the dark.

I use only slugs. If I have to pull the trigger, I want to make sure there's only one side of the story when the cops get here.

Pretty cool. I was toying with the idea of getting one of these (in black):
http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php
But I never owned a firearm and not sure how I feel about having one in the house with children, etc. It does look friggin' cool though
Benelli's are tough as nails, last a lifetime, and worth every penny. I actually didn't have any firearms in the house until my two boys were old enough to know better (14 and 17 yrs.) And they have now both taken gun safety courses. If you have young ones, I wouldn't recommend having them. Even under lock and key - they're smart and curious, and that's all it takes to have an accident.

Anyway - sorry to derail the thread.. On with the show!

oliversimonnet
05-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Great work voriax

One of the residents from under my bed:twak:

aa thats a cool model man, what did you start with,
a box?

good work :)

R.Feeney
05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
aa thats a cool model man, what did you start with,
a box?

good work :)
I started with a flat 8 sided disk, beveled it out for a tentacle copied that for all the rest of them, welded the points to join them together then capped the center hole and extruded the outer edges to continue up the "body".

Iain
05-07-2010, 09:47 AM
ooof Richard, that is nightmarish! It's maybe a bit aquatic but the eyes and the teeth are a striking combination.

R.Feeney
05-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Cheers Iain, there was going to be a set of bat-like wings on there too but time ruled that out, I think that might have reduced the aquatic look a wee bit.

shrox
05-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Cheers Iain, there was going to be a set of bat-like wings on there too but time ruled that out, I think that might have reduced the aquatic look a wee bit.

Do it, make it creepy, not logical.

R.Feeney
05-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Aye when it comes to the things that crawl out from the dark corners of the room on the edge of sleep logic really has little influence.
But this one is done as is, for now at lest :sleeping:

sampei
05-08-2010, 12:58 PM
I love this topic! it reminded me of Monsters & co, one of my favorite movies!
anyway, modeling time bout 80 minutes and another hour to texture. Still have loads of ideas I already sketched out..
oh and great entries Voriax and Richard, very nightmarish indeed :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
05-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Nice work :)
Kinda cute but I still wouldn't want to find it under my bed

sampei
05-10-2010, 06:07 PM
thanks! I was hoping for more entries though, with such a cool idea...I'll see if I can do a little something tonight :D

R.Feeney
05-10-2010, 06:17 PM
It often happens that way with the more organic challenges, I think some find it a bit harder to do.

Nangleator
05-12-2010, 08:36 AM
I had to jump in. I've been out of the challenges for too long.

I saw this challenge as two areas of creativity: Monsters, and normal, under-bed items. With a possible perverted joke in there.

I did a mashup.

It would be very disturbing indeed to discover a copy of Playglorb magazine under the bed, particularly with a glowing blob of discharge on the centerfold page...

Nangleator
05-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Oh, about 15 minutes modeling the centerfold, and about 30 minutes modeling the bedroom scene.

Nangleator
05-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Oh, and wires for the other part.

Check out the Snorgles on her. She's totally ready to blimpf!

Iain
05-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Oh, and wires for the other part.

Check out the Snorgles on her. She's totally ready to blimpf!

I know this is a bit weird but I've come over all berstippy :o

Great stuff Nangleator! Loving the imagination :thumbsup:

OnlineRender
05-12-2010, 03:53 PM
An old Playboy magazine with the pages stuck together?

Playboys new edition is in 3D , get your red and blue glasses at the ready BOYS !

shrox
05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
I had to jump in. I've been out of the challenges for too long.

I saw this challenge as two areas of creativity: Monsters, and normal, under-bed items. With a possible perverted joke in there.

I did a mashup.

It would be very disturbing indeed to discover a copy of Playglorb magazine under the bed, particularly with a glowing blob of discharge on the centerfold page...

I thought it was some Slurm.

R.Feeney
05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
I started up this weeks one
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109073

Traveler
05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Nice idea Nangleator! I never thought something like that would appear as an entry.

I've tried to come up with something, but I'm afraid it turned out less creative than what I had in mind. Also, after I had modeled the room, bed and tentacle (just one, the others are clones) I pretty much spent the rest of the evening getting the lighting right :D. And that's no easy task at all :bangwall:

Here's what I have after 3 hours toying with settings.

Nangleator
05-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Nice idea Nangleator! I never thought something like that would appear as an entry.
I've misbehaved before. 3 or so entries (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101824) in the Back to School challenge...

I like your lighting and your set decoration. Could be a touch brighter, but it's got a really good cartoon feel to it.

Wonderful entries this week. The first, with the spider legs creeped me out the most.

Wittywop
05-13-2010, 11:33 PM
So I am not sure where the week went but here is my entry.

I tried to get the light under the bed not to shine out as far. but for some reason the fall off didn't work right. still pretty happy how everything came out.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Traveler
05-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Good job Wittywop! The light under the bed really adds to the scene.
The cover on the bed, has a bit too many poly's imo, while the tentacles could perhaps benefit from a bit more detail. Still, :thumbsup: job.

And yes, if I could choose, voriax' entry would be my pick too.

Still waiting for this though :D