PDA

View Full Version : Texture Flicker Problem

3djock
05-05-2010, 09:42 AM
How do I get rid of this problem when animating? I'am using a type of aluminum node and it is creating noise movement. I'am not using any radiosity just 2 area light, one on the top and one on the bottom no shadows and one area light angled with shadows on. It seems like anything that has any noise moves, which sucks.

I have the it set at :

Perspective Camera
AA: 8
RF: Classic
AS: 0.03
Over S: .6

I want to be able to sharpen in post later on.

JBT27
05-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Even with the AA and AS levels set pretty well, as you have, you may need to try upping the AA much higher. It's the AA that will render the detail.

So maybe try 12, then keep going in jumps of 4, I think - check for a rendering sticky on these forums somewhere which has all this detail.

But also, maybe the detail you set for that aluminium sheet is just too small. So perhaps scale it larger in the Texture Editor.

Julian.

3djock
05-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks Julian I will give it a shot.. I dropped the OS to .01 instead of .6, I tried it at 12 and still got the flicker I will keep going until I get it. I'am trying to keep the rendering time down without using radiosity with lights as the source.

JBT27
05-05-2010, 12:22 PM
But also, it really might be that the texture is way too fine/dense on that surface, and almost no amount of AA will stop it flickering - been there, done that - so take a look at that as well.

0.6 was pretty heavy on the OS! AA and checking that texture scale should beat it at some point.

Julian.

3djock
05-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Still not having much luck I removed any bump and I still have flickering. Does not look like this thing is going to look like aluminum when I get it done. The client likes this far and above shot so there is nothing I can do about getting close to change the look. The more AA I give it the longer it takes to render which is above 15 mins now. fustrating.. Maybe I need to try Radiosity..Maybe I need to change programs..LOL

UnCommonGrafx
05-06-2010, 04:49 AM
Do you have a reflective environment going on in that scene?
Have you sized UP your textures to see if larger would work? Smaller definitely won't help here.
Have you tried to render double size, at a speed you can live with, and then half size the images for your vid? A tried and true method for applying extra aa with little penalty.

Sensei
05-06-2010, 05:34 AM
What is you Effects > Process > Dither Intensity ? Try Off..
What is your AA Sampling Pattern? Try Fixed or Classic, instead of Blue Noise.
Sending us scene+object with just this moving part, reproducing issue, would help finding right solution, without guessing..

Captain Obvious
05-06-2010, 08:16 AM
What sort of surfacing is applied to the aluminium sheet? Looks like soft reflection noise to me...

3djock
05-06-2010, 09:00 AM
What sort of surfacing is applied to the aluminium sheet? Looks like soft reflection noise to me... Yeah just using a conducter node I tried some other nodes as well. that is the only thing that seems to be causing a problem.

Captain Obvious
05-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Turn off the reflection blurring. Or increase the number of rays.

zarti
05-06-2010, 09:08 AM
have you tried another camera type; like Advanced and its settings ?

3djock
05-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Do you have a reflective environment going on in that scene?
Have you sized UP your textures to see if larger would work? Smaller definitely won't help here.
Have you tried to render double size, at a speed you can live with, and then half size the images for your vid? A tried and true method for applying extra aa with little penalty.

I have and HDR probe going.. I have tried different size textures with little effect.

AA 28
Classic
Fixed
AS Thresh .02
OS .01

here is the scene file..

3djock
05-06-2010, 09:32 AM
have you tried another camera type; like Advanced and its settings ? I tried advanced camera but it just made things worse in other areas other then the sheet..

zarti
05-06-2010, 09:45 AM
switch lights on or off. or change light type ... does it " calms down " the noise ??

p.s.:
the last thing i'd suggest is to " blur-relax " another bitmap version of the texture and then
fade its opacity over the original texture relative to camera distance from surface .
(might be useful if you need to continually go near or far from that surface ).

Captain Obvious
05-06-2010, 12:24 PM
So is there an actual image map applied? If so, try changing the anti-aliasing setting in the image editor from "softness" or whatever it's called, to "anti-aliasing" — it's beyond me why this is not the default.

3djock
05-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I actually found what I was doing wrong stupid me as stupid does. I actually have to of the same object in the scene and I was only texturing one. I need a cup of java.. Hopefully I can get it to work now.. Thanks guys much appreciated.

Marc Segers
05-29-2010, 02:46 PM
If you use an image map try to blur the image in photoshop .try differend small settings.Start with 1 pixel.I used this trick on an image of grass.When i moved my camera i did get flickering in my grass.

06-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Why not try not bothering with anything fancy at all?
Get a sheet of the metal you'r trying to copy in front of you.
setup the lighting, setup a background (HDRI image)
work on the surface bit by bit.
get the colour. diffuse & specular right, add a little bit of reflection - pick refmap image or use the backdrop, give it a few percent reflection bluring, add some gentle large-scale noise at a low % to the diffuse & maybe specular.
Just dont use any small scale noise on anything you want to produce animations of unless you really want it to look like animated noise! - at's just not worth the antialiasing you need to wipe it out.