PDA

View Full Version : How to bake an IK Anim into the Bones? HELP ME

silviotoledo
05-05-2010, 06:45 AM
is there any tech to transfer the IK position for a bone chain without ik?

I did some animations in lightwave and exported to UNITY
The bad news is that Unity does not recognize Lightwave IK through FBX.

So, How will I fix the legs at the correct positions in the ground without IK?

Have tried MD SCAN to bake bones, but Unity does not recognize MDD when exported as FBX.

I also tried to bake bones, but it does not bake with the IK adition.

Any ideas about how to bake an IK scene?

silviotoledo
05-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Any way using MOT? mukltiple MOT export? BVH?

OnlineRender
05-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Cageman has a nice tut on fbx - Lw , somewhere burried deep in the forum , "sorry to lazy to use the search facility " but I know motionbuilder was implemented somewhere in the pipeline , Im doing some research atm , im in the same boat ...........

silviotoledo
05-05-2010, 06:57 AM
It seems this is an option. Gotten with search at the forum.

There is a very neat tool called Bake IK to Key over at DStorm. It looks through your scene and bake ALL items that are driven by IK to keyframes. After baking has finished, it removes IK on the bones. Very handy!

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/motion.htm

Another way to do it is to go to http://mentalfish.com/ and download the motionbaker script, but after baking, you will have to manually disable IK on the bones. The motionbaker script will come in handy if you have any type of motion modifiers attached to your rigs that needs to be baked down to keyframes before export.

silviotoledo
05-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks OlineRender

I will try that!

RebelHill
05-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Use Dstorms bake IK to key... or put motion baker on the bones in questionsand run the anim... or manually hit create key with the bones selected on each frame... or theres another plugin going round somewhere, MF motion baker... all methods work just fine.

silviotoledo
05-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Finally the problem is solved and here is a list of problems and limitation when using lightwave to animate for UNITY:

1) Never do the bones correction angles in Layout. Do not rest pivot rotations too.
For some reasons, lightwave layout, sometimes corrupts the good angles we do in modeler. So, try to keep bones in perfect perpendicular positions when it's possible in modeler to avoid much problems in layout.

2) Keep Goal Orientation and Keep Goal in reach causes a lot of problems. Do not use this.

3) D Storm Plugin helped a lot! But none of these plugins did corrections in Goal Oriented Bones, althought I used the Mike Green Plugin for goal orientation and in, some cases, it works.

To finish:

Sad lightwave bones system still have a lot of problems with angle corrections, COLLADA and FBX export.

We finish having to use only the options we had in Lightwave 6.0 to animate characters to use in this cool game engine!

particledecay
05-08-2010, 05:08 AM
1) Never do the bones correction angles in Layout. Do not rest pivot rotations too.

Yeah I found that too. If you do need to export animations made with rest pivot rotations applied, try this script:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88271&highlight=correct+RPR

Cageman
05-09-2010, 02:27 AM
To finish:

Sad lightwave bones system still have a lot of problems with angle corrections, COLLADA and FBX export.

We finish having to use only the options we had in Lightwave 6.0 to animate characters to use in this cool game engine!

Truth to be told is that this isn't an issue just in LW...

Cageman
05-09-2010, 02:35 AM
3) D Storm Plugin helped a lot! But none of these plugins did corrections in Goal Oriented Bones, althought I used the Mike Green Plugin for goal orientation and in, some cases, it works.

This is merely a missunderstanding on your part of what Goal Orientation does. The DStorm plugin can only find the channels that are driven by IK, and Match Goal Orientation is actually an Orient Constrain. Two different things, but since Match Goal Orientation is found under the IK-toolset in LW, I'm not surprised you are confused.

Cageman
05-09-2010, 02:37 AM
Use Dstorms bake IK to key... or put motion baker on the bones in questionsand run the anim... or manually hit create key with the bones selected on each frame... or theres another plugin going round somewhere, MF motion baker... all methods work just fine.

For quite some time I've had too many issues with MotionBaker motion modifier. Hence the fact that I asked MentalFish to create a script that does the same thing as MotionBaker, but actually works in ALL situations.

:)

silviotoledo
05-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks Cageman!

I will try new tests soon. These are new things to me. need to understand a little more.

3dWannabe
06-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Finally the problem is solved and here is a list of problems and limitation when using lightwave to animate for UNITY:

For some reasons, lightwave layout, sometimes corrupts the good angles we do in modeler. So, try to keep bones in perfect perpendicular positions when it's possible in modeler to avoid much problems in layout.

2) Keep Goal Orientation and Keep Goal in reach causes a lot of problems. Do not use this.

To finish:

Did you document and report these bugs? Now is certainly the time as Newtek seems more interested in continuing LW 9.6.x.