PDA

View Full Version : Core and LW

Geoff Vane
05-05-2010, 04:23 AM
So, I've been using LW so little that I am no longer up to date.

This CORE thing, how different is it from Lightwave 9.6?

Do you have to pay EVERY year for using CORE?

No more new normal lightwave development?

Any chance for CUDA tech in Lightwave?

Let's see what you can tell me about this...

hrgiger
05-05-2010, 04:36 AM

Unlike 9.6, it's unified but will be not a complete solution yet for version 1 and will rely on 9.6/LWHC until it is. Probably version 2 or 3 before that happens. In CORE, every attribute is animatable, there's a modifier stack, support for multiple scripting languages, included preview renderer (like Fprime), full SDK, completely nodal based, and will include a physics engine based on bullet, a popular open source dynamics solution. And dozens of other differences.

No, it will work just the same as it always has. But now you have the option of a CORE membership which is basically a pre-buy, open beta program. It is not a subscription program so you will not lose use of the software or support after a year and you can upgrade whenever you choose to at no penalty.

Yes, there is a new version of Lightwave called LWHC which for the time being is being developed to work as much as possible with CORE. It will contain some new features not in 9.6. LWHC comes bundled with CORE.

Not sure but possible.

Salv8or
05-05-2010, 04:44 AM

Let's see what you can tell me about this...

This is my understanding of it, thou I have not bought in on it yet. (but i wish I had the cash to..)

Core is a whole new application, as far as development goes. Totaly rewriten from line one. By the looks of videos and such that have been released by NT, it does'nt have much incommon with earlier LW at all.
However, they say that the transition from working with old LW and core should be rather easy.

As I understand you don't have to pay every year if you dont want to be part of the development cycle (correct me if im wrong), you just buy in to the upgrades you fancy. However you can use your purchased Core license for as long as you like.

My guess is that development of old Lightwave will be abandoned when Core is up for the fight with the big dogs.

CUDA ,I dont know about. Eather I missed that info some where or the keep it in the core member area.

I hope that it shed some light to the situation, I guess I will be corrected on all of the above remarcs, but at least this is my understanding of the situation.

Salv8or
05-05-2010, 04:47 AM
Dang it..
You beat me to it. =)

Guess im to slow on the keyboard. =)

Geoff Vane
05-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Okay, I find Lightwave as it is, nearly impossible to work with anyway, so I certainly haven't missed anything if I'm guessing right here. Unfortunately, I must use it for my work, but there is no fun it for me. Like licking your own elbow. Extremely frustrating software that is 100% incompatible with my personal way of thinking and tiny worm brain.

I'll upgrade to 9.6 and that will be it.

Thanks for the clear and fast information!

Silkrooster
05-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Okay, I find Lightwave as it is, nearly impossible to work with anyway, so I certainly haven't missed anything if I'm guessing right here. Unfortunately, I must use it for my work, but there is no fun it for me. Like licking your own elbow. Extremely frustrating software that is 100% incompatible with my personal way of thinking and tiny worm brain.

I'll upgrade to 9.6 and that will be it.

Thanks for the clear and fast information!

Almost... If you upgrade to 9.6 now, you will get LWHC and core, the membership may also be included, assuming the promotion hasn't changed yet.