PDA

View Full Version : TMPEGEnc Help Needed - Field Order Setting ?

wtdedula
09-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Hello All;
I am processing an Interlaced 720 X 480 .RTV file using TMPEGEnc to create an MPEG-2 file that I burn onto DVD. Could anyone tell me what I should set the Field Order to (In TMPEGEnc) - TOP Field First, or Bottom field first ? Does TMPEGEnc attempt to guess the right setting or do we have to set this manually ?

I had this info. a while ago but lost it and I can't recall. Need to get a response tonite if possible.

Yesterday I used Bottom Field First (Since this is what TMPEGEnc selected) on a .RTV slideshow and when I created the final DVD, the places where I animated a title in T3, the title seemed to move a little jerky - not really smooth as I would expect. So I wonder if the field order setting is incorrect. Can anyone set me straight in a hurry ? Thanks !

Tim

ScorpioProd
09-11-2003, 11:34 PM
Top field first for RTV clips into TMPGEnc.
Bottom field first for DV clips into TMPGEnc.
Top field first for VT[3] project files into TMPGEnc.

The test is simple:

1) Load your source into TMPGEnc.
2) Go into settings>>advanced. Select the deinterlace filter.
3) Set the filter for even-odd field (field).
4) Scrub some motion in your clip.
5) If it moves normally you have the fielding right. If it bounces you have the fielding wrong.
6) Turn off the deinterlace filter when you are done testing.

Try the test to verify your system really does work the way I describe above. Strangely, there have been a few reports of opposite settings, though I can't explain it. The settings I list above SHOULD be correct.

edmellnik
09-12-2003, 05:42 PM
I have been tring to make an mpeg out of a project or RTV since I just changed to T3. SO far at the beginning of the project I get
little squares corrupting the video.
I hve tried everything I can think of.
Seems like since I put T3 on something is corrupted.
Did T3 change my mpeg codec???
If so you would think it would work.
I take the same rtv fle and tmpg it on another computer
and it comes out fine.
I need to be able to do mpeg from a project so I need to have
it work on the T3 machine.

ANy ideas???

PowerPC 823
09-13-2003, 01:48 PM
The test that Eugene describes is a very good one to do. Oddly enough I was having this same problem and did the test on my sequence (again, thanks to Eugene pointing it out to me) and found my RTV was the opposite of the norm. Later, however, on different captured footage I found the fielding reversed. I have no idea why, but now I check every time I use TMPGEnc.

Daniel