PDA

View Full Version : BumpTop for download only a few days left

JeffrySG
05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Google recently bought BumpTop. If you don't have it you might want to check out this vid on it. It's a very cool desktop organizer utility.

http://vimeo.com/4063983

They are letting people download it for a few more days and then Google is shutting it down. I'm sure they will build in the tech into one of their future products - or not.

http://bumptop.com/download.php

probiner
05-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Wow. I'll use it these days to see. I have one MMEESSSYYY desktop.

And look low on CPU and RAm wich was an issue with other organizers.

Thank you very much for pointing it out.

Cheers

prometheus
05-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Sweet..it looks and sounds nice...

However, it makes me wonder if it doesn´t steel quite a lot of system
resources and hogs down the system while working with other applications.

Object dock and windows blinds, are kind of a similar desktop utility, but
as I recall they slowed down the system to much.

Perhaps having as little stuff on your desktop as possible and make sure
you manage files in a proper folder hiearchy directly from start, might be the best way
to keep things in order.

But cool thou, it looks nice to acess things rapidly.
Thanks for the tip, gonna check it out.

Michael

Matt
05-04-2010, 01:35 AM
I tried it once, it's a nice gimmick but doesn't work any better / faster than a normal desktop, probably why it's never caught on.

Lamont
05-04-2010, 01:48 AM
If you're organized from the start, then you might want to pass, but if you're just dropping gobs of files on the desktop (no-no), then it's for you.

Red_Oddity
05-04-2010, 04:06 AM
I love how they claim stacking a load of crap on top of each other is 'organizing'

If that is organizing than i'm the real life version of Adrian Monk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Monk) with a heavy case of clutter-phobia.

Matt
05-04-2010, 06:48 AM
I love how they claim stacking a load of crap on top of each other is 'organizing'

I agree, gimmick as I say.

People often want something new to come along to replace the WIMP system we've had for years, the reason why nothing has really challenged it is because the Xerox guys got it right the first time all those years ago, put simply, it just works.

LazyCoder
05-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Just tried it, all I can say is meh... It was cool at first, but it wore off real fast. Just didn't "feel" right. It was hard to get to the other walls, especially with my windows sidebar thing going, and I am NOT getting rid of the side bar (I like having cpu/ram stats up there).

aurora
05-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Been running it all day and while cute its just not for me. It actually kind of restricts me. I 'usually' have a ridged way of organizing things one my desktop and the walls just make life screwy. Although since I spend a gazillion hours doing research on line and am prone to dropping a gazillion links onto the desktop this kind of helps a wee little bit. Just not enough to make it worth while though.

calilifestyle
05-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Yeah i downloaded this a while ago. i wanted to try something new. I was bored with it the same day i installed it.

Rayek
05-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Tried it for a couple of minutes, and it's kinda interesting (especially with a wacom tablet), but in the end it is rather limited and does not integrate well within the standard OS environment. The keyboard input to look for things is a joke compared to Launchy (win) or Quicksilver (mac).

If anyone feels oppressed by the windows desktop and the explorer, I would suggest Launchy in combination with Everything. Those two little tools sped up my workflow by 100% - and I am rigorous in my folder management.

JeffrySG
05-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I personally have not installed it yet. It seems like it might be good for the person that does drop everything onto their dt. When I see that I have too many random files or folders on my dt I know it's just time to do some house cleaning as I usually like to keep it very clear and organized.

I did work with some people that used to literally have their entire dt filled with folder and files. I used to cringe everytime I saw them try to find things. lol

I am curious to see what Google will be doing with it though.

Rayek
05-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I am curious to see what Google will be doing with it though.

After experiencing the look and feel, I think it is obvious they are going to use it for their android OS and other mobile technology - it would work great as a touch interface. Just needs a couple more integrated apps, and off you go. :dance: