PDA

View Full Version : Hair and Dust

kosmodave
05-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Hi everyone,
I've been asked to film or create a video shot looking across a room where you can see small dust and animal hair particles floating in the air which you can sometimes see when you have bright sunlight streaming in from a nearby window. For fun I wanted to create the hair and dust using Lightwave and was thinking about modelling a few random hairs and linking them to a particle system, which has a weak turbulence wind effector applied to give the hairs some random movement.
Or is there a way to generate fibreFX or Saslite hairs directly from the particles generated?

The room is real and not CG, so it's only a visual effect to composite over the background plate that I'm after.

Perhaps my thinking is way off, but I would appreciate any advice you have to offer on this.

Dave.

UnCommonGrafx
05-03-2010, 07:28 AM
With some dof, sounds like you have a winner.

As to the hair, I would think that partigons might satisfy the hair and particulate needs: can grow hair from them and they make great dust pieces.
Curious how this comes out for you.

lertola2
05-03-2010, 08:28 PM
HD Instance makes this kind of thing very easy. Just animate one hair and one dust particle then you can instance those on a point cloud of hundreds or thousands of points with random rotations. http://www.happy-digital.com/instance.asp

-Joe Lertola