PDA

View Full Version : CGI publication recommendations

Otterman
05-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Im pretty much silo'ed here in my own 3d mind and feel its time to expand my awareness of the 3d industry. I want to subscribe to a couple of magazines but would like to ask the community if there are any that stand out from the whole plethora of 3d rags to choose from. I want to be able to explore new innovations, ideas, tips and tricks of the trade etc. Not just Lightwave-sentric ones either but ones that have their pulse on the industry as a whole.

Thoughts, recommendations? :D

radams
05-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Well I think you will find more on the web than through publications these days.

and most 3D mags have serious slants to their main advertisers.

Cheers,

Nangleator
05-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Agreed. You can ask a question here and get a dozen good responses in an hour. How can a magazine compete with that?

cresshead
05-03-2010, 07:14 AM
i more or less stopped buying magazines of any kind 3 years ago, i do still pick up the odd one on the local market for 1 if it has something that catches my eye, but on the whole i've replaced magazines with youtube and forums...and both are free!

for reviews on software/hardware from companies or people who'v actually pulled out their cash to invest in a app/plugin etc>> go youtube

for tutorials go youtube first to find freebies and if there's not enough depth in them, then take a trip to see what's on offer via video from online training studio's like kurv, 3dbuzz, gnomon, simply lightwave, simply maya and digital tutors.
also there's a stch of online tutorials from the likes of 3d total.com

for general questions..forums...like this one [newtek], spinquad, cg architect, cg arena, cgtalk, the area and modo forums.

for "news" any of the above forums.

for demo's of software...go to the company who make it.

i can't really see the point on spending 6 per month on a printed magazine when the news in it is 6 weeks out of date and the reviews on the whole are written by people who didn't use their own money to buy the app/plugin so have no personal investment in the review at all.

i DO still buy training BOOKS as they can be of great value for reference.

Hieron
05-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Hmm.. I got a subscription on 3D World and am quite happy about it.. am I the only one here that still reads mags? Next to that I got ImagineFX as well, for inspiration and keeping track of 2D stuff.

Youtube, forums, tutorials.... nothing beats a printed magazine and some time in a relaxing chair with a cup of coffee. Can't be behind a lcd screen all of the time.

imho it's well worth the cost

rsfd
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
HDRI3D magazine is a bit more LW-centric and has from time to time outstanding articles, which aren't to find on the web (e.g. #30 Gerardo Estrada's article on Denis Pontonnier's ExtraBufferNodes).
Nevertheless I don't have a subscription, but order in packs of 3 to save shipping fees to Europe.

Youtube, forums, tutorials....
that's the point! (even if it lets me feel a bit old-school :hey: )

Markc
05-03-2010, 09:43 AM
I also subscribe to 3D World mag (a lot of the content on the dvd/cd is very useful). BTW if you subscribe you save a packet.
Also I try to pick up a copy of HDRI 3D whenever I can.

Otterman
05-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Hey thanks for the pointers-3d world and hdri, got it. The Internet is indeed a great resource and much of it free but theres nothing like a little reading material for when ones on the bog (English slang for toilet ha)

Thanks guys. If anyone else has other suggestions please do pipe up. I'm all ears

BeeVee
05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
CineFX is a good read usually.

B

Dexter2999
05-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I like HDRI3D for tutorials.
I like Cinefex (Quarterly publication and not cheap) for articles that give overviews on pipelines and processes if not app. specific tutorials. And it's got lots o' pretty pitchers.

Titus
05-04-2010, 12:40 PM
3D World and Cinefex here.

The Dommo
05-07-2010, 05:47 AM
3D World subscription here - althoguh I've been so busy I've got a backlog of about 8 month's worth to read through....

Cancelled my subscription to Computer Arts about 6 montha ago after getting tired of inaccurate info, dropping of actually reviewing anything useful, and the pretentious style it now has mainly consisting of its original readers from years ago all grown up, and look at them now with their opinions on everything design and illustration related....