PDA

View Full Version : OT:Showreel almost done!

Salv8or
04-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Sorry guys, im just feeling a bit stressed out.
I´ve just posted a link in the work in progress thread, butI know there are more people in ths area.

I would just like to get some feedback so I can finnich it off.
Reel UD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3zQM-AxuNA

Original thread:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108714

Sorry again for the dubble.

sampei
04-30-2010, 10:43 AM
uh I should have done it with mine, maybe I would have gotten more replies :foreheads

meatycheesyboy
04-30-2010, 11:44 AM
I like most of the work contained in the reel but unfortunately I personally don't like the reel itself. When I make the comments below I am not trying to be mean or overly critical, I am just trying to help you get a better end product. I'll go shot for shot and try to breakdown my thoughts on each section.

1. Title Card
I like the idea that you tried to do something interesting with your title card by actually designing it but as it is now it is very close to being unreadable. Whatever solution you come up with for the title card should be well designed and have a good hierarchy of information and must remain above all else, very readable.

2. Turntable
I love the turntable as a cue for the music to start. The lighting on the turntable is a bit overly dramatic with the very hot highlights and the camera work is a little bit floaty though. The turntable model seems very well built and surfaced. Good job on that model.

3. Man with son and sled
This shot seems kind of random. We're in the middle of looking at some very nice renders of the turntable then this one just appears. If it is to be in the reel, I think it should be later. Also, there isn't enough time spent on the models to really even digest what they are or how well made they are. The camera does a half turn then we're on to the next shot. I also do not understand the explosion of the models to transition to the next shot.

4. Back to the turntable (with cars)
Here we come back to the turntable and see models on the actually record spinning around. I think this is really clever and was personally my favorite part of the whole reel. There is some really nice DOF work going on here but again, the models are on for just a second then they’re gone. We have no time to actually see the models to judge their quality.

5. Turntable with Peter Jackson/Gollum
This is more what I expected from the earlier models. Stay on them for more than a moment to let the viewer digest what they’re seeing. The models do a weird flashing that I don’t understand though. I also would have liked to see some wireframe overlays and would have liked it if the camera moved in closer so that the models were bigger.

6. Live action shot of man on bridge
This shot is meant to show compositing I assume? If that’s the case I would like to have seen it in several different passes showing the original plate, the CG, the overlayed footage, wireframes, etc.

7. Rose petals/engagement ring
This is another one that seemed kind of random. It is placed in the middle of live action footage and is really jarring. Also, because it is so short, there is absolutely no context as to what it is or what it was used for.

After this part I sort of lost it all together. It kept jumping back and forth between the live action and dancing girls and the red carpet shot and I didn’t really know what I was looking at.

Overall I think you have some nice work but you aren’t showing it off in a very compelling way. I thnk you need to focus on the order of your shots and really think about what it is that you want potential viewers to take away from each shot.

Dexter2999
04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Overall I liked it. I liked the turntable effect but the dissolves seem too fast. The logo on the turntable jumps around and is unpleasing to the eye because the rate isn't as slow as the rate of the revolution of the turntable itself.

My opinion.

Salv8or
04-30-2010, 12:31 PM
meatycheesyboy:
Thnx m8, very good critiqe. This is what i hoped for.
Unfortunatly for the laterpart of the reel, I have missplaced the original material, and i only have the final videos to cut from. =(
All of the comping, modeling and rendering was made by me on these shots, maby thats why I want them on there so badly. Not that they are so remarcable in any way. Its very hard to see things that one have worked on for what they are.

Unfortunatly the famely is calling, sp ill get back to the reel and you guys l8er on.

Thanx again.

OnlineRender
04-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Overall I liked it. I liked the turntable effect but the dissolves seem too fast. The logo on the turntable jumps around and is unpleasing to the eye because the rate isn't as slow as the rate of the revolution of the turntable itself.

My opinion.

50 secs is the worse part it jumps far too much .........but other than FNA ............Awesome , nice reel ! ,well impressed !

Salv8or
05-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Ohh.. the jumping logo is just result of not finished the render and just cheking the outcome of things. As i said, its a wip..
Ive got another clip on there now and ive change thi clip order a bit, also made them a bit longer. Still rendering away and hoping that it gets done sunday evaning.
Just worked on it for a week on my sparetime. (between after kids go to sleep and i have to sleep)
Hopefully I have a ver 0.9 up by the evaning.

Salv8or
05-03-2010, 04:57 AM
Reel updated an relocated to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIaERAygmIg

To late to make any changes on it now, already sent the link with the jobapplication. Hope it worksout thou.

meatycheesyboy
05-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Nice updates.

The whole thing feels much more cohesive to me now. Good luck in the job hunt.

Salv8or
05-04-2010, 04:38 AM
meatycheesyboy: Thanks for the input and the good luck.

Guess its just to sitback and hope for the best now.