PDA

View Full Version : Compressing a master to h.264 under 1gig

mrotman
04-30-2010, 03:04 AM
I run a few shows from the Tricaster Studio Stupid For Movies and Kevin Pollak's Chat Show.

Stupid For Movies is about an hour- so its a decent size master that the tricaster first spits out.

I am trying to figure out the best way to convert a master into a good quality file for the internet.

Currently I use blip.tv as my syndication. They only accept files under 1gig. So what I do is take the master from Tricaster- convert that to the M2P 1hour 30 min DVD. Then take the m2p open it in mpeg stream clip and convert to quicktime h.264 to come as close as I can to 1 gig.

Obviously this takes a long time to do for each show.

My question is- is this the best way? Is there a step I can skip- such as converting it to M2p first? On the built in renders it doesn't look like I can tell it in the tricaster to make it a certain size. Thus the master --> M2P --->.mov

SBowie
04-30-2010, 05:19 AM
I am pretty sure I've seen reports of people loading MPEG2 files from TC directly into Streamclip. Have you tried that?

mrotman
04-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes that's what I do. I render the master to the MPEG DVD 1hour 30 Min which then turns it into the MPEG2 -which I then load to Streamclip and then change to a .mov. I was hoping there was a way to skip a step as both Tubemogul and Blip won't take the MPEG2

SBowie
04-30-2010, 11:21 AM
I render the master to the MPEG DVD 1hour 30 Min which then turns it into the MPEG2What I'm suggesting, though, is skip that step, and load the file captured by TC directly into Streamclip. It's already an MPEG2 file, no need to convert.

mrotman
04-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Ahh I see. I thought I tried that and it didn't work- but I will try again- can't hurt. Thanks!

SBowie
04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Maybe try both Studio and regular profile files ... since you're experimenting anyway. :)

TakeOneDigital
05-25-2010, 01:45 AM
I take the standard recorded MPEG file from our TC all the time into MPEG Streamclip. Works great! It does take time to transfer a 13-80GB file from the TC to my Mac, though!

Zane Condren
05-25-2010, 06:11 AM
You can also look at a solution like the Matrox Compress HD or Matrox Mini Max with have hardware accerlation chips that can compress to H264 faster then realtime.