PDA

View Full Version : Problem with texture map

old fashioned d
04-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi all!

Okay, to make it short, I mapped a "label" onto a bottle using planar. I DID NOT use a UV map. So, now, when I move the model in Modeler, the map doesn't move with it. Is this because I should of used a UV map?

Man, I sure hope theres a better solution. WHY does the map not "stick" to the bottle?

Thanks for any help!

nickdigital
04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Yes because your map is in place based on your planar map settings. If you uv'ed the texture your image would be stuck to those polygons.

Here are some options:

1. If you're using autosize on the texture you could just hit autosize again after you moved the object. Keep in mind this will only work if you moved the object. If you rotated it your planar map won't line up.

2. UV the texture onto the object and then you can move, scale, rotate the object to your heart's delight.

3. Keep your bottle where it was and move it in Layout.

monovich
04-29-2010, 02:03 PM
you don't have a reference object selected or world coordinates checked do you? if you do, set reference object to none and uncheck world coordinates.

the texture should move whether its uv'ed or not, even though it may not look exactly right being planar on a curved surface.

old fashioned d
04-29-2010, 02:53 PM
you don't have a reference object selected or world coordinates checked do you? if you do, set reference object to none and uncheck world coordinates.

the texture should move whether its uv'ed or not, even though it may not look exactly right being planar on a curved surface.

Thanks for the help! I don't have a reference object nor do I have the world coordinates checked yet it still doesn't move with the object.

I may have to remap using a UV which sucks because it has several layers of mapping for transparency, reflection, diffuse, etc.

MAJOR bummer.

I really appreciate you all helping out!

OnlineRender
04-29-2010, 02:54 PM
can you not bake the texture ?

sampei
04-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the help! I don't have a reference object nor do I have the world coordinates checked yet it still doesn't move with the object.

I may have to remap using a UV which sucks because it has several layers of mapping for transparency, reflection, diffuse, etc.

MAJOR bummer.

I really appreciate you all helping out!

checking world coordinates switches the texture map from being locked to the object (which is a layer from modeler) to the world origin.

checking reference object activates another object of choice (for example a null) as the target of the projection, so that the textures settings (position,size,rotation) are relative to the latter.

however none of these settings don't do anything because you're still in modeler an the textures' "projector" isn't locked to the object, and to be honest it only makes sense, since the concept of object makes sense only in layout where a layer is a layer and you can only manipulate it as a single entity.

the baking idea ain't bad but you will lose the ability to tweak each surface attribute as they all get slapped onto a raster.
nodes next time!

Snosrap
05-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Why are you moving the bottle around in Modeler anyway?