PDA

View Full Version : Adding wifi to my TC Pro

JoeyD
04-29-2010, 12:56 PM
We are hoping to broadcast our graduation and stream it live through ustream or some other service. But since our graduation is done in the football stadium and there is no internet connection, I was wondering if anyone had tried to give their TC wireless network functionality. We could maybe add a wireless network card or possiblt do it through USB. We have some special devices that allow us to send a wifi signal that far.
Thanks!
Any help is appreciated!

Joey Davis

SportsJunkie
04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
We do it often, using a USB wireless card. Make sure to do a "Speed Test" well in advance of your streaming event. Hopefully, you're using a private wi-fi network at the school, not some StarBucks wifi which might be nearby.

akscooter
04-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Grab two linksys routers and install WRT on them. You can overdrive the amp, and attach directional antennas to them both. In the setup you can pair them up so they bridge to each other.

I've done this over a 46 mile span, and it has yet to be a problem! If it's a half mile or less, then you might not need the directionals, but it doesn't hurt.

dd-WRT is free, but not super easy to install, and it's possible to "brick" your router. If this is a college graduation, I'd bet the farm at least one person in your class has done this!!

The benefit to this is the ability to plug in a few devices on your remote side. So you can have your laptop setup next to the tricaster for livetext or ivga.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Cabe
05-03-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm a big fan of Tomato's (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) replacement firmware. The specific model to look out for is the WRT54G (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series#Hardware_and_revisions) anything up to version 4.0 makes life easy. To Ebay :)

The only (really really minor) issue with the Linksys WRT54G is the antenna connector isn't the RPSMA most access points have it's a RPTNC. Adaptors are cheap and plentiful though.

Something like a pair of these will also preserve the WRT54's antenna diversity too. http://www.caymanwireless.com/servlet/the-730/2.4GHz-Directional-Diversity-Panel/Detail

Happy Streaming!

bbeanan
05-04-2010, 01:52 PM
akscooter could you detail out your set-up... I have considered trying to figure out how to "bridge" my home network with my offfice which at my old house would have been pretty easy as it was only about 1/2 a mile away. But I recently moved and the new house is about 4 miles away. So I figured it would not be really possible without dropping a few grand on a solution

Cabe
05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
It is all about line-of-sight bbeanan. Sadly Wifi is 2.4 or 5Ghz which is basically attenuated by a slight breeze.

It's not just the stuff in the middle of the signal cone either, its the stuff in the Fresnel area around the lobes.

If you can crack a decent LOS anything in my above post will help you. If not can you get an internet connection in both places and then use a VPN to tunnel across, or are you after more speed?

bbeanan
05-04-2010, 07:26 PM
well sort of my home connection is normally around 27 mbps down and 10 mbps up... at my office it is 1 mbps down and 756k up... so in part it was to leverage my home connection. The other part was for file and printer sharing between the 2 locations. I was trying to keep is as simple as possible

Cabe
05-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Ahh yeah I can see why. It might be worth having a play with a DIY cantenna as a cheap "starter for 10"

http://www.instructables.com/tag/?q=cantenna&sort=related&type-id=on

MindPen
05-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Grab two linksys routers and install WRT on them. You can overdrive the amp, and attach directional antennas to them both. In the setup you can pair them up so they bridge to each other.

I've done this over a 46 mile span, and it has yet to be a problem! If it's a half mile or less, then you might not need the directionals, but it doesn't hurt.

dd-WRT is free, but not super easy to install, and it's possible to "brick" your router. If this is a college graduation, I'd bet the farm at least one person in your class has done this!!

The benefit to this is the ability to plug in a few devices on your remote side. So you can have your laptop setup next to the tricaster for livetext or ivga.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Hello Jon,
will you be kind enough to share the set-up(pictures) Im trying to use wireless for my tc pro @ the fair grounds for a car show ,ball games over the summer,[email protected]
thanks
mindpen