View Full Version : Absolute vs. Relative File Paths in .lws

04-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I have been bouncing around between 8.5, 9.3.1 and 9.6 so this may be tough to diagnose, but here is the scenario:

I have had to duplicate multiple content directories and then modify the contents in each one, generally adjusting the object files in each content directory. I set the content directory, launch Modeler from Layout by selecting an object, and then change the opened object in Modeler.

I later discovered that I wasn't modifying individual objects in their own content directory, but rather I kept changing one object over and over. This is because the file path in the originally copied .lws had an absolute path to the .lwo.

The scene files have been fixed, and all of the object editing has been redone, but this was a bit of a pain.

Does anyone know how I introduced a non-relative file path into my scene file?

04-30-2010, 01:01 PM
...I should also note that I work off of a network, if that has anything to do with it.

I tried using the Package Scene feature to see if perhaps this was the cause, but using Package Scene appeared to write relative file paths.

Any thoughts, Hive Mind?

04-30-2010, 03:56 PM
And so it should? A well-defined content directory is self-contained, so it doesn't matter where you put it it will work. That way you can have the content dir on your hard drive, it works. Move it to a USB key it works, move it onto another machine (even a different type of machine Mac <-> Win) and it will work. If you are getting absolute paths, it's not working. I'm having a little difficulty understanding what you are saying, but if you have one scene that has absolute paths, use Package Scene to consolidate it, then uses that consolidated version. It won't make any difference which of those versions of LightWave you use.


04-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks for your response, BeeVee.

At some point absolute paths were written into my .lws, and I just wanted to figure out when and how that occurred so it never happens again.

The problem has been corrected with some Find & Replace in Notepad++. I just want to make sure that whatever operator error caused the issue in the first place does not get repeated.

05-03-2010, 02:19 PM
It usually happens when you load in an image or object that isn't contained within your current content directory.


05-04-2010, 01:14 AM
At one stage they did some work on paths on the Mac side...to convert them all to relative paths, not sure how far along they got.

At least, that's how I remember it :)


05-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks for your responses. I was merging items from multiple scenes into one master scene, and I now suspect that one of the scene filles I was merging was outsided of my content directory. This likely started the whole nightmare.

I will be more careful in the future.