PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Phenom II X6 cpus?

monovich
04-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Anyone know the skinny on these? They seem well priced for creating render nodes for Lightwave.

I'm not a huge gear guy but am going to need to add some power soon. Was just going to go Intel because they've been cracklin' lately, but the review was at least interesting.

http://gizmodo.com/5525334/amds-300-6+core-cpu-too-good-to-be-true

littlewaves
04-27-2010, 11:46 AM
there's also a pretty in depth (12 pages!) review here with lots of figures

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24332

page 8 has cinebench rendering comparisons with intel chips.

monovich
04-27-2010, 12:20 PM
hmmm... not bad for multithreaded rendering, not great for everything else. The only time I even booth my render computers up is for Lightwave renders, so this may be a great pricepoint option...

BigHache
04-27-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm keeping an eye on these myself. Looking at upgrading since I have a Phenom 9500 ATM.

geo_n
04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/12
looks good except for the power consumption.
The price of a corei7 860,930 are cheap here compared to the Phenom II X6 1090T. Not sure why. So we got corei7 930 instead.

Lightwolf
04-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Hm, if I was to decide between AM3 and socket 1156 for a budget I'd probably pick the Phenom X6.
If I had the budget for a 6 core Intel (or they release a cheaper version) I'd certainly prefer that, especially as the boards take more Ram.
One advantage is that the AMD/ATI boards usually include graphics, which is great for render nodes on a budget. They're certainly a few 100s cheaper than the same performance nodes based on Intel CPUs. Unless you can gross out and get the Intel 6-core that is.

Cheers,
Mike

TheDynamo
05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm definitely curious about this processor as well. Although my primary breadwinner is Adobe After Effects (will install CS5 tonight). Right now since I'm running a Core 2 Duo (great little animator, horrible little renderer) I'm basically looking to replace the box as the Intel 775 socket is no more. I'll have to see if anyone on the Adobe boards have done any tests with this processor as well.

-Rob

Shiny_Mike
05-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Seems to perform well against the lower end i7's in these tests:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Andrewstopheles
05-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Why not put a quad core 6600 in there, TheDynamo? Works admirably for me in my socket 775.
(I have the Quad Core 9450 with a $60 air cooler and OC'ed it to 3.4ghz no issues.)

geo_n
05-10-2010, 11:28 PM
What is the mem limit for the x6? I think as long as it can go as high as 8gb its enough.

Eugeny
05-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Don't relay on Cinibench guys ...

I have one at my job (dual Opteron 2439SE, 8Gigs RAM, 12 physical cores), still didn't tested it with LW but with Max and Vray it's slightly faster then dual quad Xeon (E5520 12Gig RAM, 8 phisical cores, hyperthreaded) like 3min 34 sec for Xeon and 3 min 12 sec for Opteron. Also i tested it with Vue - Opteron almost 25% slower. But in Cinibench this machine is almost twice faster then dual Xeon.

Hieron
05-11-2010, 04:41 AM
Hmm.. interesting. A Phenom 6 core box would cost about 750 euro here. A i7 920 box would go for about 800 I expect. A 980x 6 core Intel would hit 1400 euro I suppose.

Do we still have some LW benchmark scene to test things with? I got i7 920's and a 980x here to test.

Also, are there issues with mixing AMD and Intel renderboxes? (different procedurals results etc..)

Lightwolf
05-11-2010, 04:48 AM
What is the mem limit for the x6? I think as long as it can go as high as 8gb its enough.
16GB, but the modules are still quite expensive. 8GB for a reasonable price.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
05-11-2010, 04:49 AM
Don't relay on Cinibench guys ...

True, but even within LW it can vary massively. I.e. GI is usually a bit speedier on Intel CPUs, on the other hand I've seen AMD CPUs run surprisingly quick when rendering volumetrics.

Cheers,
Mike

Larry_g1s
05-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I've got some inexpensive AMD Opteron 6-core Instanbul's for sale. :hey:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106705

TheDynamo
05-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Why not put a quad core 6600 in there, TheDynamo? Works admirably for me in my socket 775.
(I have the Quad Core 9450 with a $60 air cooler and OC'ed it to 3.4ghz no issues.)

Q6600 are tough to find nowadays. I'm running an E8500 which is great for animating but it's starting to stink when rendering. The closest thing I would probably get if I were to stick with a 775 would be a Q9550 (or 9500 if I'm feeling cheap) but that plus a new 5770 video card would run about $500-600.
That's a tough call to make when I can get a 1090, new motherboard, card and windows 7 (just in case I need to run a new copy since I'm swapping pretty much everything out) for about $700. Or I can just suck it up and build myself an i7 930 system nice and loaded for about $1500.

The irony is that the idea of "futureproofing" is a hoax when it comes to computers. Intel does it's darnedest to make sure people buy a new motherboard every 2 years or so. AMD has done a better job of that with it's AM2+ platform but ultimately next year both will be launching new stuff that will require a new socket I hear.

Ultimately though, It's when the box can pay for itself and what I can get past my wife (the Co-CEO) of my freelance business what determines what I can do. :)

-Rob

Hieron
05-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Ultimately though, It's when the box can pay for itself and what I can get past my wife (the Co-CEO) of my freelance business what determines what I can do. :)

-Rob

haha :)

If I would have to get the purchase of stuff past my gf, I'd not get anything in the house. "Do you really need even moooore cables? You already got loads of cables, do you even use those?" "what? anoooother computer? I don't even want to know the price. Actually, I do.. "

:)

Personally, I wouldn't go for Q6600's anymore. My i7 920's sometimes do a frame 2x as fast, while using similar power, keeping farm smaller etc.

I still have 7 Q6600's left here, but the i7's do the most work now.

ken_g9
05-11-2010, 08:27 PM
The Phenom X6's would indeed be good render nodes. Especially if you factor in the prices of AMD motherboards, which are generally cheaper than Intel based boards.

For the main rig, Core i7 all the way though. :D

monovich
05-25-2010, 11:18 PM
well I ordered one of these babies up, so we'll see how it does.
I got a 3.2 Phenom X6, 16g of ram, some nvidia card, and an SSD hard drive for the main system drive. Should be ready to pick up in a couple of days.

geothefaust
05-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Nice, let us know how it performs. I'm really wanting to upgrade, and the Phenom II X6 is in the right price range.

Soth
05-25-2010, 11:49 PM
How about this 48 core monster?
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/poweredge-r815?c=uk&l=en&s=pad&cs=555&ref=hbn

For one CPU per node farm Phenom II X6 1090T might be most cost effective solution, let us know

JonW
05-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Re: Boss

Make sure you use the same box &/or get your supplier to upgrade the internal parts only. Then as far as anyone (wife) can tell it’s always the same computer. Easy!

New Apple computers are a bit tricky from the outside & also that damn awful smell which gives me problems for the first few weeks, itchy eyes & headaches.

Girls have better smell than us, so you would need to get any new Apple to render for at the very least 2 weeks to burn off it’s smell.

monovich
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
just got this baby booted up. I'm going to start some test renders in the next hour or so...
*stoked*

Larry_g1s
05-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Way cool monovich!

monovich
05-28-2010, 03:42 PM
I love how portable lightwave is. seriously, its amazing. copy program folder, install dongle driver, plug in dongle. done.

Thank you Newtek for keeping it simple.
It'll probably take me three days to install my adobe apps.

Larry_g1s
05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
I love how portable lightwave is. seriously, its amazing. copy program folder, install dongle driver, plug in dongle. done.

Thank you Newtek for keeping it simple.
It'll probably take me three days to install my adobe apps.Ha! True. Adobe has still made it easier then Autodesk. I have had to e-mail them to change my lic. to a new machine for Maya. It's never been too bad as far as response, but no where near as easy as LW. :thumbsup: Adobe suite takes awhile.

monovich
05-28-2010, 06:10 PM
well, on this current project my average frame on the Q6600 (@ 3.0 ghz) computers is around 5:30. On the Phenom X6 its 2:44. Not bad.

Strangely, I can see that the scene is only using between 30% and 80% of each CPU's max load (it fluctuates a lot). I wonder why they aren't maxed out at 100%? Could be the hypervoxel sprites maybe. Its also a WSN render not a LWSN.

More to come...

monovich
05-28-2010, 06:13 PM
PS, I've nicknamed the new node "Six Shooter". ha.

geo_n
05-28-2010, 06:24 PM
well, on this current project my average frame on the Q6600 (@ 3.0 ghz) computers is around 5:30. On the Phenom X6 its 2:44. Not bad.

Strangely, I can see that the scene is only using between 30% and 80% of each CPU's max load (it fluctuates a lot). I wonder why they aren't maxed out at 100%? Could be the hypervoxel sprites maybe. Its also a WSN render not a LWSN.

More to come...

So that's half the time? I think that's pretty good. I have a qc6600 and a corei7 930 and 860 at work and the render times for corei7 are twice faster. I was disappointed 930 and 860 performed the same in lightwave. If the x6 can do the same as corei7 then its a good deal.:thumbsup:

monovich
05-28-2010, 06:56 PM
it looks like pretty close to half the time. right now I'm seeing 5:40 average on the Intels and 3:16 for the AMD. It fluctuates frame to frame

All in all I'm pretty happy. It isn't as fast as that crazy six core i7, but its 1k cheaper.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes in After Effects using multiple cores and CS5, which is supposed to be more optimized as well.

Tartiflette
06-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Well, i'm the happy owner of one of those "little" processor, with which i have built a PC to render big architectural scenes (i'm primarily a Mac user but i needed something powerful and not too expensive right now, so buy a MacPro now was out of question while Apple hasn't updated them...) and i must say i'm really impressed by how well it performs !

It's running quietly, doesn't eat too much energy and it overclocks quite well as the one i have bought (a 1090t @ 3,2Ghz) is calculating all day long @ 4Ghz !

For the price of a "low" i7/860, you get a really good beast !
It was m'y first experience with AMD but so far i can say i'm not disappointed at all ! :)

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

TheDynamo
06-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Just got one of those i7 6 core monsters from HP with some bells and whistles for less than $2200. Renders faster than the 8 core Mac Pro at work (Nehalem 2.26 GHz). AE loves it.

geothefaust
06-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm planning to build a new machine here soon, and am looking at the benchmarks of the 1055T vs 1090 vs i7 980.

While the i7 980 is pretty good in performance, the price is too outrageous. Then once you figure in the price of a mobo, the price goes up a fair number again.
So it comes down to the 1055T vs the 1090. Here, the performance isn't that much greater, and the 1055T is easily looking like the better of the two for performance vs price.

It is tempting to spend the little bit extra cash for the 1090. ;)

Larry_g1s
06-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Just if you're interested Javis: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106705

Tartiflette
06-12-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm planning to build a new machine here soon, and am looking at the benchmarks of the 1055T vs 1090 vs i7 980.

While the i7 980 is pretty good in performance, the price is too outrageous. Then once you figure in the price of a mobo, the price goes up a fair number again.
So it comes down to the 1055T vs the 1090. Here, the performance isn't that much greater, and the 1055T is easily looking like the better of the two for performance vs price.

It is tempting to spend the little bit extra cash for the 1090. ;)
Well, i had a 1005 that died the next day i installed it in the machine (random BSOD and 4 or 5 cores only activated at restart...) so i sent it back and thought i would pay the extra cash (not very expensive anyway...) to get a 1090 which has the great advantage of not being blocked in term of coefficient.

That can be a good thing if you don't have a super top notch RAM or MB.

That said, the 1055 can go as high as the 1090 in term of overclocking, so if you don't mind the extra settings, go for a 1055, you shouldn't regret it ! :thumbsup:

But those chip can't compare to the i7/980x when it comes to pure performance ! Anyway, the price of this chip is just too high for my taste, as you can without any problem buy another 1055 based machine for the difference in price !

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

geothefaust
06-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Just if you're interested Javis: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106705

Nice price Larry! If I had the money I'd roll with the socket F and dual CPU supporting mobo and pop two of those bad boys in. ;)

Unfortunately though, I've not the budget for a socket F, plus, I've got some short term socket am2+/am3 issues to sort. Trying my best to make some of my upgrade, a crossgrade. ;)

Well, i had a 1005 that died the next day i installed it in the machine (random BSOD and 4 or 5 cores only activated at restart...) so i sent it back and thought i would pay the extra cash (not very expensive anyway...) to get a 1090 which has the great advantage of not being blocked in term of coefficient.

That can be a good thing if you don't have a super top notch RAM or MB.

That said, the 1055 can go as high as the 1090 in term of overclocking, so if you don't mind the extra settings, go for a 1055, you shouldn't regret it ! :thumbsup:

But those chip can't compare to the i7/980x when it comes to pure performance ! Anyway, the price of this chip is just too high for my taste, as you can without any problem buy another 1055 based machine for the difference in price !

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Merci! Thanks for the info Laurent! You've help me in my decision very much. :thumbsup:

ToMar
06-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Nice price Larry! If I had the money I'd roll with the socket F and dual CPU supporting mobo and pop two of those bad boys in. ;)

Unfortunately though, I've not the budget for a socket F, plus, I've got some short term socket am2+/am3 issues to sort. Trying my best to make some of my upgrade, a crossgrade. ;)

Merci! Thanks for the info Laurent! You've help me in my decision very much. :thumbsup:

Go for Socket G34 instead. Socket F is hard to get now (in case you missed it: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109724)

The board may cost 200€ (350€ vs 550€) more. But the CPU's are alot cheaper. (550€ vs 350€ for the 6 / 12 core HE version) Even on power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GB3hC7E-TA

EDIT: Unless you like to go the same route as I and start out with used quad (2x4x1.7GHz) cores for 50€ and a load of free memmory slots (8 slots for up to 64Gig) and your previous system is realy low on everything.

monovich
06-14-2010, 10:13 AM
just a word for those doing render nodes.
the AMD computes procedural textures differently than the Intel processors. I got some naaaasty flickering using DP's Weather procedural texture. I had to go back and manually delete a thousand frames and re-render them with only the intels.

Its still a great fast CPU, but make sure you think about that when mixing and matching.

Tartiflette
06-15-2010, 05:46 PM
just a word for those doing render nodes.
the AMD computes procedural textures differently than the Intel processors. I got some naaaasty flickering using DP's Weather procedural texture. I had to go back and manually delete a thousand frames and re-render them with only the intels.

Its still a great fast CPU, but make sure you think about that when mixing and matching.
Oh yes, i know that from the days of Pentium 3 and Athlon !
I remember doing the renders on our renderfarm at that time, which had a vast majority of Bi-Pentium 3 as well as some Athlon, and when we were rendering scenes with procedural textures or non baked particles, we were ending up with nasty shifts all over the place ! :devil:

It's a good thing you put that in the discussion for those who don't know the problem !

Cheers,